ESPN UK and Europe

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
ESPN america will b probably be dropped by whole europe and will be removed completely due poor ratings

what bout UK market in UK there is few channels will american content there is also ESPN with english premiere league with NBA with live studio direct from america's studios, rugby and others , will this channel stay in UK ? is it have some connection with ESPN america or this is UK created own channel with own licences

look 4 example as NBA finals starting from tuesday 2am london time u will see ESPN on ABC studio which u will not see on any european provider .

Espn america is kingdom of NFL/NHL/NCAA lovers

so anyone know future of this channel in sky uk?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Where did you see that it was closing? ESPN America/NASN has been around since 2002...

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
full story

ESPN eyes international exit
Disney-owned sports broadcaster ESPN is considering exiting a number of international markets as a result of the growing costs of acquiring live sporting rights.

Disney chairman and chief executive Bob Iger () told investors that the opportunities for ESPN are limited internationally.

Speaking at the announcement of its first quarter financial results, he said: “ESPN’s international business has never been particularly large, nor has it been a huge priority for the company.”

He added that it would continue with its partnership with News Corp across Asia and its standalone UK pay TV channel, which currently holds the rights to some English Premier League soccer games. “They’re going to continue to look at those opportunities with an eye toward determining whether they have the ability to grow or, in some cases, become profitable or, if not, potentially exit those markets. That’s not to say they we’re going to get out of international, but I think ESPN is likely to be selective about their presence there,” said Iger.

The proliferation of pay TV platforms using key sports as a driver for their services, as well as deep pocketed Middle Eastern companies including Al Jazeera, makes it harder for companies like ESPN to make money on sports globally.

“It’s tough going for them because they’re frequently competing with local or locally owned and controlled platform owners that are going after sports almost as loss leaders to drive subscriptions to their platforms,” Iger said. “It’s kind of tough to be as aggressive buying live sports. So the opportunities for ESPN internationally, I think, are somewhat limited. Not to say that they don’t exist, but it’s never going to be a big part of ESPN’s business.”

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Big-Apple said:
so anyone know future of this channel in sky uk?

The actual article can be read here :

_http://www.digitaltveurope.net/23914/espn-eyes-international-exit/

Within that (and the quote you posted) it does state that ESPN will continue with it's standalone UK pay tv channel.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't understand whether this applies to ESPN UK or ESPN America as they are two separate channels.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, the espn america in the uk is different that that on espn america on the sky italia platform.
it is a stand alone in the uk and costs extra there.
ralph

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ESPN UK have lost their Prem League footy rights for 2013-15. BT got them instead & will launch a new channel to show them.

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18430036

Thats a nail in their coffin

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
To be honest, I never understood why they bothered with ESPN UK. ESPN America, I can understand as there is demand for American sports but ESPN UK.....