ESPN

N

nic_turbo

Can any of these Satellites be reached from Northern Europe?
PAS 8
PAS 8 (TARBS)
Optus B1 (Sky TV)
Optus B3 (Austar/Foxtel)
Agila 2 (Dream)
Cakrawarta 1 (Indovision)
Thaicom 3 (UBC DStv)
PAS 7 (Multichoice South Africa)
Amos 1 (Yes)
Intelsat 801 (CanalSatellite Caraïbes)
PAS 3R
PAS 1R
PAS 9
Nahuel 1 (TDH - TV Directa al Hogar)
Telstar 6 (WSNet)
Galaxy 4R (HITS)
EchoStar 4 (DISH Network)
EchoStar 6 (DISH Network)
Galaxy 5
Telstar 7 (Athena TV)
Galaxy 1R
Galaxy 8I (DirecTV Latin America)
DirecTV 1R/2/3 (DirecTV USA)
Thanks, Nic

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Most satellites transmit on multiple beams, each with a different coverage area ("footprint"). So you need to check the footprints of the beams which carry the channels you are interested in. All such info is at Lyngsat.
http://www.lyngsat.com

And regardless of the footprints, there are a number of physical limitations. The satellites all hang in geostationary orbit above the equator in a ring referred to as the Clark belt. From a given location on Earth, you only see part of that ring. At the equator, you would see it as an arc stretching from the western to easter horizon, passing directly overhead. Away from the equator, a smaller part of the arc is visible, and it appears lower in the sky.The further north or south you are, the smaller and lower it is.

There's a company called Swedish Microwave, at whose website you can download a program called SMWLINK. That allows you to enter your location (longitude, latitude) and will show you for any given satellite position what its elevation would be from your location. You can therefore figure out how far west and east you can go before the elevation becomes negative (i.e. below your horizon). In practise, you can only receive sats at elevation 10 degrees or higher since there will almost always be some distant object obscuring such a low line of sight (or too much degredation of signal due to it passing through such a large amount of the moisture-laden atmosphere along that low line of sight).
Link to smw: http://www.smw.se

2old

N

nic_turbo

You really are the Satellite information Guru! This whole thing is very exciting.

Thanks again, Nic