european tv in usa (east coast)

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
hi,

my brother is moving to new york and would like to receive uk and german tv there. is this possible via satellite and how?

cheers, martin

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, not really, apart from channels which are made for the US market and carried on their terrestrial cable networks.

You can of course if you have a good broadband connection, get a Slingbox and use it to send him the Freeview package or Sky package over the internet. :)

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
No, not really, apart from channels which are made for the US market and carried on their terrestrial cable networks.

You can of course if you have a good broadband connection, get a Slingbox and use it to send him the Freeview package or Sky package over the internet. :)

thanks rolf i think that's what we'll do

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, perhaps you can post your results in the IP TV/ Slingbox section when done. :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
With the price of DVD media nowadays rock bottom, it might be cheaper to just record his favourite series on a DVD recorder and then send him by post once a week, if you have a recorder.
I can set a DVD-R 4.7G media to any quality from 1 hour to 8 hours.
Optimum is set for 3 hours.
This should give him plenty of viewing hours.
The picture quality will be as good as with a direct viewing.
This is not as fascinating as a live viewing, but just something to consider.
With the slingbox you might need a costly broadband connection on both sides in order to have better picture quality than 352x576 pixels plus the cost of the hardware.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not the same though is it, five day old news programmes are not really that interesting, that is going back to the days when expatriate workers used to have a suitcase of VHS tapes delivered every month. :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
Not the same though is it, five day old news programmes are not really that interesting, that is going back to the days when expatriate workers used to have a suitcase of VHS tapes delivered every month. :)

No, it is not as exciting as having live viewing.
I was thinking about recording favourite series as live news can be watched from other local channels like CNN.
DVD media is very light compared to a VHS tape and with DVD-RW media this can be bi-directional with programmes recorded in the USA and posted back to the UK.