Eurovision

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Well somebody had to :-rofl2

Block voting by country alliances for years, and text/phone votes from the public that can never be checked for validity.

I just wish the UK would make an effort to put a reasonable group/artist in.

On a personal note I thought Hungary had a blinding entry this year.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The western European countries dont stand a chance these days. two thirds of the countries now come from the old eastern bloc and they all vote for each other. It will have to be a VERY good song from the west to stand a remote chance whatsoever in future contests.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
The last time I seriously watched that was when Johnny Logan won for What's Another Year...I think in 1980.

The UK entry was total pap. A "joke" that wasn't even remotely funny.:confused Yet the Eurovision is still vastly popular both inside and outside the UK. Give the people what they want, if they want it.:-doh2

leighpreece

Vintage Sat enthusiast!
Reaction score
Website
www.m5gwh.net
My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish. Dual Lemon LNB for 13E/19E. Twin Output Lemon LNB for 28.8E.
Samsung 9500 with 'alternative' firmware.
Couple of DigiBoxes. Amateur Radio station. Going Bald with a patient wife!
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK.
To be honest, for West European countries like ourselves, France, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Turkey, Greece, etc, we should pull out of Eurovision as it was just a total Eastern Europe/Baltic show.

I don't mean this to offend any members of those countries who contribute to this forum, but it was 'your night' folks - we Western Euro countries just didn't stand a chance seeing all voting was 'localised' and painful for the rest of us to watch.

Sadly the UK put too much into Eurovision to not take part (is it still 'switched' in London) and I think the same goes for others who founded Eurovision.

Must admit, I don't think I'll make an effort to watch next year - which is sad seeing I've not missed the show since the late 1970s.

Leigh....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It still in my opinion makes an interesting spectacle, our entry was cack and I suggest that it only got in due to some geographical phone blitzing, as there were a couple of very good entries from memory. :)

I thought that the general standard of entries was pretty good this time, I actually like quite a few of the songs.

On the other hand, we are never going to get around the regional reciprocal voting, plus these regions will have similar musical tastes anyway.

Just a small point Leigh, aren't Greece and Turkey on the Eastern side of Europe, only the Ukraine and Russia are further East, Turkey is effectively in the Middle East?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I didn't realise until last night that many of the earlier entries had been knocked out of the contest purely on phone voting, just to keep the total final entry count down to 24 or so.
Was there a chance to see the Danish/Norwegian/Chech/Israeli offerings in the UK this year ?

The countries eliminated earlier have no chance of hosting the show next year, and so the great unwashed public (and those with the ability to block vote) have an active part in how the destination of the show changes.

The Eurovision show has enough funding/sponsorship from each country to enable it to be a one-off full length evening show, and the money that could be saved by dropping the mid-round 'contests' could be used to make an even and fair spectacle lasting some six hours or so.

But I concur, the UK entry was pants, the French singer that got voted off was far better (but then not a patch on Hungary, (or Georgia for that reason).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel Hopper said:
I didn't realise until last night that many of the earlier entries had been knocked out of the contest purely on phone voting, just to keep the total final entry count down to 24 or so.
Was there a chance to see the Danish/Norwegian/Chech/Israeli offerings in the UK this year ?

Yes - the semi was shown on BBC 3 on Thursday evening - (and none of the top 10 countries promoted to the final was from western Europe!).

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I feel sorry for Finland that they put on a great show, yet everyone is focusing on the block, or should that be 'bloc', voting.

I think Serbia were deserved winners, and us, France and some of the other Western Europeans can't fuss until we put in proper good songs and still come nowhere, but I'd feel extremely aggrieved if I was German, their song was very good and yet it didn't even come in the top half. Some of them Eastern European entries didn't deserve to get through to the final over Andorra, let alone come in the top half!

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Channel Hopper said:
The Eurovision show has enough funding/sponsorship from each country to enable it to be a one-off full length evening show, and the money that could be saved by dropping the mid-round 'contests' could be used to make an even and fair spectacle lasting some six hours or so.
Six hours?:-rofl2 Think the anvil option would be more attractive for me!
baston63.gif

Analoguesat said:
Yes - the semi was shown on BBC 3 on Thursday evening - (and none of the top 10 countries promoted to the final was from western Europe!).

Shame Analoguesat. Missed that one.:p

I personally think we should accept it for what it is. An international showcase (forget the word competition), and a chance to show the neighbours that you still love them, despite the fact that they can't sing.

I don't see a problem with this unless war breaks out................ Isn't it about time they changed the title and allowed our friends from across the pond to join in? :eek:

leighpreece

Vintage Sat enthusiast!
Reaction score
Website
www.m5gwh.net
My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish. Dual Lemon LNB for 13E/19E. Twin Output Lemon LNB for 28.8E.
Samsung 9500 with 'alternative' firmware.
Couple of DigiBoxes. Amateur Radio station. Going Bald with a patient wife!
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK.
rolfw: I know where Turkey and Greece are - they are just old competitors compared to the newer kids on the block which is where I make my comparison.

I think the UK, due to our part in founding the EBU, always takes part unless we opt not to.

Leigh....

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Look's like I'm the only one who thought the UK entry was alright and I had it in the top six, although I'm not going to rush out and buy it.

Thought all the song's were pretty average with Moldova and Hungary as possible winner's, but how on earth can the bookies have made that load of c*ap from the Ukraine as favorite and how on earth could so many people have possibly voted for it, I just don't understand.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yorks said:
Isn't it about time they changed the title and allowed our friends from across the pond to join in? :eek:

Ireland had an entry, it got through the semis even though it was pants as well as ours :-rofl2

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
the voting system is rubbish.... but then we all know that.

what they should do, is not tell anyone what countries the acts come from....

let them all sing
then vote
only after that tell everyone what country they are from ;)

that way, it will be fair... and the best song wins, as it should

idiotSavant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 Gemini 3
My Location
Oxfordshireshire
It wouldn't be Eurovision without the dodgy voting !
All I can remember of older showings was Scandinavia and Cyprus/Greece. Germany gives that Turkish noise 12 points... can't be anything to do with all those Turks living in Germany can it ?
The thing that I really love about the new enlarged eurovision is how seriously the central/eastern european countries take it - it's their chance to put on a show for the rest of Europe (and Asia).
Was Ukraine's entry a stupid bit of fun or a comment on how things were as a part of the USSR ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
idiotSavant said:
It wouldn't be Eurovision without the dodgy voting !
All I can remember of older showings was Scandinavia and Cyprus/Greece. Germany gives that Turkish noise 12 points... can't be anything to do with all those Turks living in Germany can it ?

The turks I know are a dab hand at adjusting mobile phones for best 'reception'.

idiotSavant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 Gemini 3
My Location
Oxfordshireshire
Well, your worries are over:
edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=33238&SESSION=885
an MP is calling for the UK Parliament to get involved.
This should improve their standing with the disillusioned general public who just thought all they did was put up taxes and argue about nothing whilst important matters slipped by.