Eutelsat 11 F3

Chris_Lawn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've just been on to satellitesuperstore.com. The chap there certainly knows what he is talking about - wish I'd spoken to him first. I'm now going to start again from scratch.

He understands inclined orbital satellites but is unsure whether a dish such as the high gain channel master 1.2 would be big enough to see this satellite?
Can anybody help?

Cheers,
Chris

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
For most of the UK, a signal strength of 42-44dB equates to a minimum of 1.2 for reasonable digital reception

If Satellite Superstore is willing to install based on returning to change for a larger dish, then go for the 1.2. Otherwise save up for a 1.5m

Next size up from Prodelin or Channel Master is 1.8m. The Prodelin is polarmounted, CM is fixed only.

Irte make a good but expensive 1.5. Precision is similar

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
Is the 1.5m Unicorn dish that they sell not suitable ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Unicorn sounds like a trade name rather than a manufacturer. Not knowing what it is I could not tell you.

Do you have a picture ?

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
unicorn12.jpg

This is the 1.2mtr Prime Focus Unicorn dish that they sell, fitted with 1224 H-H motor.

Description of dish:

There are a number of reasons why the Unicorn dishes are so good. Very high gain due to the dish being accurately machined to a close parabolic shape. The dish works all the way to the edge with no rounding off. The back plate is held on with space age resin so that no bolts go through the reflector hence no distortion of the reflector. Highly matched feedhorn. The dish achieves the highest gain for it's size and type than any other dish. (close to theoretical maximum.)Superb build quality.
Precision made in England.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sounds good (though they always do in the ads)

Pity theyve shown it on a terrible stand

The H to H mount looks as though it can be adapted for an elevation motor, maybe they already have a kit in the shop

1.2 (no matter how good its claimed to be) is still the minimum size for reception of this bird, so try and get the next size up

Chris_Lawn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If I go for the 1.2M dish (might have to as planning permission may not be given for over 1.3M dishes) they say I'll need a motor, receiver (they recommend Strong 4375), V Box as well as a Lacuna meter which they will program form me.

Does this sound ok?
Cheers,
Chris

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi, The mount in the Photograph is a J 1224 and it can be modified without problems- you can order with Elevation as standard. It has a 12" jack arm arm has standard for elevation.

The unicorn 1.5 mtr is an excellent dish it was originally sold I believe also to chapperal in the old days, quite a few were even fitted with co-rotors for limited C band reception. Its expensive but a good solid dish. Has far has I know it is made by Precision in the UK.

One other Point generally the Echostar I would have thought would be an easier option for the task than the Strong receiver?
Why do they reccomend the strong 4375 ?

Back to the dish size has channel hopper confirmed its generally recievable in most parts of the UK on a 1.2 mtr but that extra gain would be a bonus if you have the extra money to invest, also in the future it may help if SIS decide to move to a other older satellite ? dont forget to spread the load on the gable end.

regards

Old Satellite

Chris_Lawn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Why do they reccomend the strong 4375 ?

Don't know, but I'll ask as soon as I (hopefully) receive planning permission. Why is the Echostar easier?

Do I definitely need the Lucana meter?

Cheers,
Chris

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The 4375 is a good receiver, however there have been problems identified with satellite positions, and some language selection anomalies. The reason for promoting this above the Echostar is probably a better profit margin for them

Burnt Chips is your man for answering glitch questions on this receiver

Best to take the meter as you will spend many days getting a polar arc correct without one.

I had not thought of using a V box as a positioning unit for elevation.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would gues because it can drive the dish with it's own internal position, then you won't need the V Box, also in many people's opinion it is a better receiver. The Lacuna meter is similar in operation to the the Sky installers meter, it bleeps when you locate a hard to find satellite, giving you the "found Eutelsat 11F3" message and will give you separate quality readings for H and V signals, may be necessary with the smaller dish size when trying to track the satellite, but probably not essential.

Chris_Lawn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So if I go for the Strong receiver is the VB box absolutely unnecessary or could it still be useful?

Cheers,
Chris

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes its necessary

The main actuator for horizontal movement will be driven by the Strong and the orbital positions found and stored in the memory

The V box will be used to drive the elvation motor and will be set manually by pushing the buttons on top of the box (one pulse at a time)

The signal meter can probably be kept inline with the signal cable permanently (as long as you can turn the sound off) or you can try using the meter within the On Screen Graphics of the 4375

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, that was my fault with the V box question, I had forgotten about the separate elevation adjustment.

If the lacuna meter is similar to the last one I saw, then I don't believe it is possible to put inline, I believe it only has a single input/output.

Chris_Lawn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks everyone. From the concensus I reckon I now need:
Unicorn 1.5m dish, Strong 4375, V box, Lacuna meter, 1224 H to H motor. Have I missed anything?

Cheers,
Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
An account with a bookmaker? ;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Universal Flange LNB, cable, a good mount, F plugs, rawlbolts, amalgamating tape.

Make sure the 1224 is inclined orbit option

A few hours of peace and quiet

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Anythings possible

Having confidence does help.