Ever wondered what you need to become a Satellite Control Centre operator?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Never seen the requirements & qualifications listed before so heres the official lowdown. Taken from the current Eutelsat vacancies page

English Version
Reporting to the SCC Operations Manager, perform the monitoring and control functions at the SCC associated with the in-orbit Eutelsat satellites, the Telemetry, Command and Ranging (TCR) stations and the SCC data processing system, working within a shift system to provide 24/7 manning at the SCC. The function is highly responsible where all activities are performed by a team of dedicated and motivated individuals aiming at safety of the satellite fleet and maximising availability for commercial services.

DUTIES:
- Execute all planned operations of the satellites, TCR stations and SCC data processing systems according to pre-defined procedures and planning.
- Perform constant monitoring of the fleet and take immediate corrective action in the event of a satellite anomaly or ground system anomaly.
- Responsible for contacting on-call engineering staff in the event of a satellite or ground system anomaly and assisting in data provision, analysis and recovery.
- Liaise with the controllers of the Eutelsat Communications System Control Centre (CSC) in order to implement satellite payload reconfigurations.
- Manage the TCR and SCC system resources in real time to ensure constant monitoring and control of the fleet.
- Actively participate to training programmes in order to maintain an overall level of proficiency such that the above duties can be performed with the maximum safety and reliability.

QUALIFICATIONS:
- Higher technical education or equivalent in space engineering, telecommunications or related field (Bac+2).
- 2-3 years experience of in-orbit satellite control.
- Desire to work as part of an international team.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and priorities under pressure.
- Able to work in a constantly evolving and dynamic environment.
- Availability for shift work (including nights and weekends).
- Excellent knowledge of one of the official languages of Eutelsat (English or French) and good knowledge of the other.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I wonder if tinkering with an array of battered second hand dishes counts? :-rofl2

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Well. I've got a Higher National Cert. in Telecommunications - I just need to be able to find a way of moving those satellites around :-rofl2

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Llew said:
Well. I've got a Higher National Cert. in Telecommunications - I just need to be able to find a way of moving those satellites around :-rofl2

Llew

According to those that worked on the Olympus satellite at 19 West, not a lot apart from a finger on a button.

_http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13117871.100-nineweek-battle-that-saved-olympus-.html