Exclusive: Firefox 3 interview with Mozilla president

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
firefox_logo-200-200.jpg
TechRadar recently caught up with Tristan Nitot, president of Mozilla Europe to discuss the forthcoming release of the much-heralded faster and more secure Firefox 3 browser – due for release on Tuesday 17th June.

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

Safari adoption on Windows. We'll see!

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

On mobiles, things are really different. The lack of mouse, big screen, tabs, mouse and keyboard means that we need to reinvent the user interface. I'm not sure that anyone has found the right thing for Mobile, and we're working on it. My colleague Aza Raskin has just posted a video about this It's just a concept, but it does show the issues that browsers on mobile are facing.

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

On top of this, we encourage people to install Firefox 3 as soon as it is released, on June 18th (the official date is the 17th, but it's on California time, which means the 18th for us Europeans). For this, we aim at setting a new record of the most downloaded piece of software in 24 hours. We're doing this with the Guinness book of records. You can pledge right now on spreadfirefox.com. AS I write this, UK is ranking #7 behind Poland, Brazil, Italy and France. I am sure you can do better than this!

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

We also have added some functionality in the user interface so that users have better information on the site they are visiting. It's the "site identification button".

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

When it comes to user experience, tons of things have changed, on top of the Awesome Bar, the new bookmarking system and the password manager that I mentioned earlier. Some of the nice improvements include a new Download Manager, Full page zoom , the new Add-ons manager. There are so many of these improvements, it's hard to list them all. There is a short list, available, though.

TR:

Tristan Nitot:

More...