Expats miss their breakfasts

N

net1

A traditional breakfast is the thing most Britons working or living abroad miss the most.

They pine for toast, Marmite, bacon sandwiches, cereal, marmalade and Earl Grey tea, according to the survey, by the Explore Worldwide holiday firm.

Other items they missed included English cheese, beer and wine, the survey of the company's tour leaders in 120 countries discovered.

The survey also showed that the tour leaders rated the Inca site of Machu Picchu in Peru as the most spectacular location, followed by Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

Meanwhile, research from Marks & Spencer Financial Services has shown that a quarter of holidaymakers start thinking about and planning their next holiday as soon as they get back from their last trip away.

The poll also showed that women were more desperate than men for their next "holiday fix", with 28% making plans straightaway on their return, compared to a fifth of men.

Despite this forward planning, more than four million holidaymakers admitted to travelling abroad without travel insurance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Net1 said:
They pine for toast, Marmite, bacon sandwiches, cereal, marmalade and Earl Grey tea, according to the survey, by the Explore Worldwide holiday firm.

I will always remember one of my skiing buddies telling me to take some marmite, cheese triangles and marmalade with me when going to the French Alps, as I wouldn't be able to get them there.

To which I replied, "but I don't eat them here"

One of the main reasons I go abroad is to eat different things, I love the continental style breakfasts, not so sure about the chinese style, but could live with it.

If you live abroad, then you can normally get hold of most of the home engredients anyway.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Rolf

Sorry but I beg to differ. There are just some things that money CAN'T buy when you're abroad. I base this all on my experiences in Southern France where you can't get:

Smoked back bacon
Hot mustard powder
Marmite (yes, it's true)
Cream that isn't a bloody lactic type
Strong white flour
Bread yeast with a decent "froth"
English sausages

Other items that are ridiculously overpriced (so it pays to bring them anyway):

Baked beans
Decent biscuits
Marmelade

But then again there are so many other things that are so much better out there that I dare not make a list. In truth it is, of course, a amatter of being reasonable about things.

PaulR

That didn't stop me taking 3.25Kg of smoked bacon with me when we went away for 3 weeks recently! My wife can't live without a a bacon butty occasionally and I really do enjoy a full brunch on a Sunday morning.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't disagree totally PaulR, I know the bacon has to be brought in (I take a few pounds every time I visit my sister in Chartre, plus a case of baked beans) and normally a couple of pounds of good Cheddar, she makes her own marmalade and doesn't like Marmite.

I also take over Branston, but in real terms, apart from fresh items like sausages and the Cheddar, most things are only a couple of days away, or available at a price.

I, like you would say that on balance the other things available, outweigh the ones that aren't.

I was speaking more of holiday food in my first post, so like to savour the local delicacies and can put up with bacon deprivation for a week or so. :)