Expert knowldege needed

Rooster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Motorised yet, that's why I'm on this site
My Location
Gloucester
Hi All,

Can some of the experts out there give me some advice ?

I'm new to the motorised scene and I'm trawling trough everything here to get some adivce before I take the plunge and buy a system.

The help I'm looking for are on the following issues :-

Is there anyone in the Gloucester area of the UK who has a motorised system and how good is it working ?
If I place the dish in an eclosed back garden what are the things to look out for when I initially choose a site for the dish and will an 80cm dish be OK ?
As there are too many recievers to choose from, could you narrow down the search for me and recommend a few decent recievers ?

Any help would be a ppreciated as there seems to be a real shortage of shops and places to go for info in the South West.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rooster

hightower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+ patched reciever, NTL pace box, Smart 0.2dB titanium LNB, 80cm dish, Manhattan HH120 motor, AMD 64bit 3500+, 1GB ram, 3x120gig 1x200gig HDs.
My Location
Glasgow
I went for the technomate 1500CI reciever mate, had no problems with it plus its very good for the money! About £120..read the reviews about it!

Also have an 80cm dish, though its high on the roof with a Manhattan HH120 motor, only just set it up and so far looking good!

Rooster said:
Hi All,

Can some of the experts out there give me some advice ?

I'm new to the motorised scene and I'm trawling trough everything here to get some adivce before I take the plunge and buy a system.

The help I'm looking for are on the following issues :-

Is there anyone in the Gloucester area of the UK who has a motorised system and how good is it working ?
If I place the dish in an eclosed back garden what are the things to look out for when I initially choose a site for the dish and will an 80cm dish be OK ?
As there are too many recievers to choose from, could you narrow down the search for me and recommend a few decent recievers ?

Any help would be a ppreciated as there seems to be a real shortage of shops and places to go for info in the South West.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rooster

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
:-welcome Rooster,

I'm not from the Gloucester area but I think you will find that motorised systems will work as well there as anywhere else in the UK.

As for your back garden you really want the dish to have a clear line of view to the satellites, ie no trees, buildings or anything solid in the way.
You can put it on the ground or high up as long as it can "see" the sats.
An 80cm dish is "alright" remember bigger is better. The larger the dish the more channels you should receive.

As Hightower says the Technomate 1500ci is an excellent receiver, very user friendly, and very good value for money. It can also be "patched" which is one big bonus.

Have fun
Rob

Rooster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Motorised yet, that's why I'm on this site
My Location
Gloucester
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have good look at the reviews and take a good look at the Technomate.
I'll have to think hard about he position in the back garden. You are quite right Rob and getting a good view of the satellites without the house been in the way is my biggest concern.
Are there any ways to check the line of sight before you commit to buying all the kit.

I do fancy having a go at the installation myself but I suppose I'm just trying to get as much info as possible first.

Rooster

Rob said:
:-welcome Rooster,

I'm not from the Gloucester area but I think you will find that motorised systems will work as well there as anywhere else in the UK.

As for your back garden you really want the dish to have a clear line of view to the satellites, ie no trees, buildings or anything solid in the way.
You can put it on the ground or high up as long as it can "see" the sats.
An 80cm dish is "alright" remember bigger is better. The larger the dish the more channels you should receive.

As Hightower says the Technomate 1500ci is an excellent receiver, very user friendly, and very good value for money. It can also be "patched" which is one big bonus.

Have fun
Rob

hightower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+ patched reciever, NTL pace box, Smart 0.2dB titanium LNB, 80cm dish, Manhattan HH120 motor, AMD 64bit 3500+, 1GB ram, 3x120gig 1x200gig HDs.
My Location
Glasgow
Rooster said:
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have good look at the reviews and take a good look at the Technomate.
I'll have to think hard about he position in the back garden. You are quite right Rob and getting a good view of the satellites without the house been in the way is my biggest concern.
Are there any ways to check the line of sight before you commit to buying all the kit.

I do fancy having a go at the installation myself but I suppose I'm just trying to get as much info as possible first.

Rooster

Try the installation yourself if you feel up to it, the satasfaction at the end is brilliant!!

Im lucky as the back of my house faces south, though my next door neighbour has an extension, so i couldn't wall mount it as i was missing most of the east. We have a dorma window so i mounted it on top of that, where it it can see everything, and good results so far!

Deffo have a look at the technomate! The patch is a bonus and really simple to do, just watch out for the rip offs on ebay selling the reciever with the patch alot more money than it should be, when you can patch it for nothing.