Extreme Newbie - Motorised system - Angles

Anbeyon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar pvr5020 with motorised dish
My Location
UK
Hi

I am hoping some of you guys out there might be able to help me. Please be gentle though I am a novice.

I am helping a friend setup a satellite system and we have problem.

The sytem is erected and cabled and we are able to move the dish via the Receiver. However, I'm we have angle related problems.

1st of all the kit we are using;

1. Echostar PVR5020 Receiver (supports DiSEqC 1.2 and USALS)
2. Manhatten HH140 ALU supports DiSEqC 1.2 + Goto X
3. 1Metre Televes dish
4. Alps universal dual LNB

We are at Lat: 51:01:54N (51.0318) Lon: 0:15:50W (-0.2638)

Please note :

I am having problems working out how to set the dish. The motorised mount has a scale on the side in degrees. These seems pretty clear cut we are 51 degrees latitude so according to the documentation we set the pointer on the side of the mount to 51 degrees.

The next problem is that the mount for th edish attaches via some more braketry that also has a scale in degrees on it. This is where I get lost. This seems to set the elavation of the dish but when I follow the instruction in the HH140 manual and set this for my latitude it looks like the dish is pointing down rather than up

Does any one have any ideas.

thanks

clive

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some motors have a lattitude and elevation scale on them, make sure you are setting the right one. The scale on the dish will give you the declination, there should be a calculation in the manual for the setting.

I never bother with this setting, as I set the motor and then swing the whole assembly on the pole and adjust the dish scale up and down until I find my due South satellite, this is of course relatively easy with a meter.

Anbeyon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for that!

The motor we are using has only the one scale which I am sure is correct. It is the dish elevation that isn't right. As I say the I'm not sure what I should set the dish elevation to. How do I work that out. Unfortunately the instruction in the manual for the motor and dish are not very clear. Not to me at least :-ohmy)

Also, I need to set the motor to 0degrees and then using a compass set up to look for my nearest Sattelite - is that right ?

I think Thor is my closet satellite.

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you post a picture of the relevant page in the motor setup guide, there should be a chart or at the very least an equation?

Yes, Thor should be your Due South, or pretty close anyway, so a compass bearing will not be too far away.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
Anbeyon said:
Thanks for that!

The motor we are using has only the one scale which I am sure is correct. It is the dish elevation that isn't right. As I say the I'm not sure what I should set the dish elevation to. How do I work that out. Unfortunately the instruction in the manual for the motor and dish are not very clear. Not to me at least :-ohmy)

Also, I need to set the motor to 0degrees and then using a compass set up to look for my nearest Sattelite - is that right ?

I think Thor is my closet satellite.

Thanks

Rolfw is right. I did the same with my dish. Since you only have on scale on the motor you have to be sure that it is the latitude of your location and not the correction for the motor. I have two scales on my motor which I could choose either the latitude or the correction for the motor which was mentioned in the manual.

The dish setting did not match with my manual. Either the scale of my dish was not correct or the manual was not correct. Just drive your dish to Astra, when your receiver as GEO Positioning even better because then the dish moves to Astra or whatever Sat you select automatically, and then set the dish till you get a signal. If it fits for that bird it fits for all other birds too.

My setting on the dish was not in the scale range but a least it works perfectly. If the setting would not be ok I would not receive the birds on 45 west or 75 east so do not worry if it does not match with the manual. If the motor setting is perfect the dish setting is no then no longer a problem.

Regards

Claasi

Anbeyon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Rolf

I'm afraid that the manual isn't where I am right now I have checked the product web site and all they have is a feature sheet which I don't think is what you need

Clive

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, had downloaded that yesterday. :)

Not to worry, scan it or photgraph it when you get home. :)

Anbeyon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Rolf - Thanks for having a look yesterday !!

I'm off to site shortly to have another go and have downloaded varios bit and pieces from the form that should help. If all goes horribly wrong and we get nowhere I will post a scan of the manual supplied .

Thanks again - Clive

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany- Munich
rolfw said:
Can you post a picture of the relevant page in the motor setup guide, there should be a chart or at the very least an equation?

Yes, Thor should be your Due South, or pretty close anyway, so a compass bearing will not be too far away.

Rolfw 1 west is pretty close to "0" degrees of the motor but lets say from London the motor would be on 1,2 degrees west. It would be more accurate if you point the "0" degrees of the motor directly to south with the compass. Then the motor would be moving perfectly on the Clark belt. I mean it will work with the 1 west setting but for more weak birds it is better to be more accurate :-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It is highly unlikely that you be able to point the dish to exact due South using a compass, even taking into account magnetic variation, it is a near impossible task.

You are only half a degree or so off of 1 West, you can always move the motor using the onboard buttons to account for that offset.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany- Munich
rolfw said:
It is highly unlikely that you be able to point the dish to exact due South using a compass, even taking into account magnetic variation, it is a near impossible task.

You are only half a degree or so off of 1 West, you can always move the motor using the onboard buttons to account for that offset.

Rolfw I disagree and do not want to be a smart ass ;-) Just trying to help. In the manual they suggested to use a long piece a wood to avoid magectic variation from the motor. In case somebody is in Belfast, since we do not know were Clive exactly is, the motor should be already on 5,4 degrees east. The correction of the motor will start to face a problem there but it still might work. But the more you go east or west the motor will run away from the clark belt because the wrong settings will add up.

Just an example in my area some folks do not receive Nil Sat or that strong as others although they have often the same equipment. A reason is often the wrong settings.

Cheers
Claasi

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
We do know where he is Claasi, he gives his coordinates in his first post and he is only half a degree from the closest satellite in the Thor cluster.

Magnetic variation is the difference between magnetic and true directions (around 3 degrees west at the moment i believe), not to do with the influence of the motor.

You use the satellite which most closely matches your due South, if in Belfast you would perhaps use 5 West, if somewhere in between you make a small offset allowance on the motor body.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany- Munich
Ok sorry I missed his position in the small letters. I checked with the calculator and it would be 0,82 degrees on the motor for Thor. He can use Thor then as a guide.

You are right with the magnetic variation since I misunderstood at first.

But you can start of, it is recommended to use the zero for the total south which was also mentioned in the manual for the first setup. When you move to a satellite and the scale is of more than 2 degrees you can adjust the motor on the scale and turn the whole motor and dish slightly so it meets the correct motor scale. 1 degree is of cause not really able to adjust since the scale is a bit chunky on the motor anyway.

I just wanted to state that you generally can't always use 1 west as a guide were ever you are. But I missed the position from Clive and Ralf you can do it the way you suggested of cause as long as you are not to far away of any bird close by.

Claasi

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I agree with your point about 1 West Claasi, I do try and point out in most instructions (sometimes forget:)), that although for many UK members 1 West will be the one to go for and hence it is used as an almost standard reference, it will of course depend on the individual's longitude as to which is their nearest due South reference satellite. :)

Anbeyon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear all,

Thanks for your replies.

After revisiting site we did manage to get the Dish setup and managed to receive a number of satellites. - Thanks for your help.

However, I'm not sure but think we have some tweaking to do. The site where we are can actually see very little of West but does have a good view to the east. Although once we get around to our most Eastern point we may well have some problems with trees.

Anyway I am wondering if we need to tweak the Arc made by the dish in some way as we don't seem to receive signals from as many satellites as I thought we might.

We have managed to tune into the following;

Turksat 1C
Eurobird 3
Astra 2
Arabsat 2-3A
Astra 3A
Astra 1
Hotbird
Eutelsat W3A
Atlantic bird 3
Atlantic Bird 2.

Looking through the issue of What Satellite I have I think I should be receiving more eastern birds than I am. What do you think ?

Do I need to adjust the Arc traversed by the dish, If so do you have any hint/tips on how I might do that ?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,

Clive