F-type connector convertor? (noob-ish question)

kevin-f

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, Echostar DSB 808 2Ci, no PC yet
My Location
U.K., south west
I've been using an Echostar decoder for a while. It has a socket on the back marked 'LNB IN'. So does the nova-s-usb2 I'm now trying to use. And I can unplug the cable from the Echostar and plug it into the nova. But apparently it's not that simple ... Hauppage tell me (based on photo) that the nova needs an F-type connector and that my cable is something else. Based on the 2 pictures attached, can anyone tell me what sort of convertor I'd need, or if I need to strip the coax and fit some other connector (it seems there are many sorts of F-type, don't know which matches the nova in the picture), or if I'm wasting my time for some other reason?!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin.

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 42
  • nova.jpg
    nova.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 38

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Take the adapter of the first cable and connect the "F" type connector straight onto the USB receiver.

kevin-f

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K., south west
Not sure I follow - do you mean plug the cable, as shown, into the USB receiver? Because Hauppage support, having looked at just the same picture, say it's the wrong kind of connector ... Or do you mean I need to add some kind of adapter to the cable shown? If so, could you tell me exactly what?

Many thanks

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
I am not sure if it is, but looking at the first picture it looks like you have an F connector fitted on the end of the coax cable and that is screwed on to an adapter which is converting it to a push on connector. Unscrew the cable connector from the adapter and you should be left with an F connector.

As you say you are a newbie, just to explain:

An F connector is a screw on connector. It does not have a central pin as such, it uses the solid centre core of the coax as the pin. So if you unscrew the end connector, off the adapter, you should find that it will give you a screw thread fitting with a short piece of the solid centre core sticking just out past the end of the thread, which should fit straight on to the connection marked LNB in.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I know I'm stating the obvious but why not leave the push-on adaptor in place and simply push the damn thing onto the Nova?

The whole point of the push-on adaptor is to make rapid transfers between boxes easy.

kevin-f

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K., south west
Crisbe - thank you so much for explaining that. Pity the guy from Hauppage isn't so helpful. Since he had said "that's not F-type, that's why it isn't working", having read your post I removed the push-on adapter, and was able to repeat the problem reproduction steps having eliminated the alleged factor.

PaulR - you're quite right, however. Removing that adapter made no difference to the problem Hauppage was blaming on it.

(Which in short is that my Echostar receives fine with it, but a scan with the nova finds no channels, having given it all the sat details etc.)

So I hope Hauppage support now come up with something else ...

Thanks again

Kevin.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
kevin-f said:
Crisbe - thank you so much for explaining that. Pity the guy from Hauppage isn't so helpful. Since he had said "that's not F-type, that's why it isn't working", having read your post I removed the push-on adapter, and was able to repeat the problem reproduction steps having eliminated the alleged factor.

PaulR - you're quite right, however. Removing that adapter made no difference to the problem Hauppage was blaming on it.

(Which in short is that my Echostar receives fine with it, but a scan with the nova finds no channels, having given it all the sat details etc.)

So I hope Hauppage support now come up with something else ...

Thanks again
Kevin.

You're welcome Kevin,
Please come back and tell us what the answer to the problem was, when you finally get it sorted, as every bit of info is valuable to the guys that try to help with problems.

kevin-f

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K., south west
For info - problem remains unresolved ... Hauppage are now saying the nova must be faulty, but I'm not entirely convinced and have posted details in the 'computers' forum.