F2V, Changing Boxes & Sky +

Carlos

Reaction score
I am hoping to upgrade my sat TV system shortly as C4 only is a bit limiting and I do miss Auntie!

With F2V what happens if I change boxes and in particular move to a SKY + box so as to record (say) ITV whilst watching BBC as I often did in the UK? (Is a SKY + box a good choice in fringe areas?). Do I need a second subscription to F2V or a SKY subscription or is there a better way altogether. Here in Lanzarote we are on the very edge of 2D and need to get it right to get it at all. I am aware I would need a second LNB & cable but as I have to upgrade my box I would like to try and get it right. Would I be better with two boxes, a recorder & a second subscription? In relative terms the sat dish is the major investment (2.4m minimum & maybe even 3.4m is required) but with a quad LNB if it all works I think I can "sell" shares in the system as I have neighbours in the same boat as I am in.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I can't answer about a Sky+ box but, with ordinary Digiboxes, once an FTV card has been authorised then it can be moved to another Digibox without any problem. Of course once you take the card out of the first box you can only get the Beeb and the other FTA channels!

I've seen it written that once your "home" region of BBC and ITV is set on the digibox by the card then it stays on that version of BBC even after the card is removed.

I wish you well with your plan to share the costs of the system. You may find that it is a very popular service and quickly run out of LNB feeds if you're using an ordinary quad LNB. Just think, you will need 2 for your Plusbox, that only leaves 2 for everyone else!

If you have enough interest you will have to think about a quattro LNB (4 separate outputs of horizontal and vertical in low and high bands) together with suitable distribution equipment. It'll be more expensive but at least it's expandable to cope with any increase in demand.

All the best

PaulR

Carlos

Reaction score
PaulR said:
I can't answer about a Sky+ box but, with ordinary Digiboxes, once an FTV card has been authorised then it can be moved to another Digibox without any problem. Of course once you take the card out of the first box you can only get the Beeb and the other FTA channels!

I've seen it written that once your "home" region of BBC and ITV is set on the digibox by the card then it stays on that version of BBC even after the card is removed.

I wish you well with your plan to share the costs of the system. You may find that it is a very popular service and quickly run out of LNB feeds if you're using an ordinary quad LNB. Just think, you will need 2 for your Plusbox, that only leaves 2 for everyone else!

If you have enough interest you will have to think about a quattro LNB (4 separate outputs of horizontal and vertical in low and high bands) together with suitable distribution equipment. It'll be more expensive but at least it's expandable to cope with any increase in demand.

All the best

PaulR
Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply but can you elaborate a bit more on what you said because I may be mixing two answers in my head - yours and one about sepatate LNB's for vertical & horizontal signals!

Carlos

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
without a Sky sub, your use of the Sky+ functionality will be severely limited. They'll take £10 per month of your hard-earned €uros :)

On the plus side, the Sky+ tuners are very good. But you'll have to question whether you'll actually be able to utilise anything bar watching TV.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
There are 2 types of LNB with 4 outputs. The first type is the most common and is effectively 4 seperate universal LNBs inside one housing. Each of the outputs can feed a seprate Digibox or 2 outputs can be used for a Plusbox leaving 2 spare.

The ther type of 4 ouput LNB is normally used by professional installers who will be piping a simulated satellite dish ouput to many homes (usually apartments). This LNB gives separate fixed outputs of Low band Horizontal, Low band Vertical, High band Horizontal and High band Vertical. These outputs are fixed and do not vary if the voltage is changed or a 22KHz tone applied (which is how a normal LNB changes.

These separate outputs are then fed to a clever box which is usually connected to an outlet on a wall. It will pretend to be an LNB and delivers whatever band your receiver "asks" for. The separate outputs of the LNB can be amplified and fed to other clever boxes so that you only need 1 dish for however many subscribers you have.

A further possible LNB is an 8 output version ofthe first type. This can obviously feed 4 plusboxes but once that point is reached you have to stop and think again.

Does this make it any clearer?

PaulR

Carlos

Reaction score
Thanks Paul. Very informative and useful to know. However I think for myself (an amateur) I will stick to a simple universal quad output LNB that can give me four separate outputs to feed four separate boxes in four separate villas. I guess that I could if required change the LNB at a later date if demand for access to my "big dish private network" grew. In any case right now that is all in the future as I have still to find an acceptably priced dish. What I thought was the answer to my prayers has turned out a damp squib as Ciberland (Mainland Spain) will not deliver a large dish to the Canaries. They say that I have to arrange transportation if I want to buy from them so I am back to the drawing board.

BFN, Carlos

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ok on feeding 4 separate villas but none of them will be able to use the Plusbox as this requires 2 input feed from an LNB.

With that in mind everything should be OK. Do give a thought to the 8 output version though as it might prove a godsend later on; what if a 5th villa wants to join?

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Only problem with the Octo LNB, is that I don't think that they do a C120 flanged model and you would almost certainly need one for your big dish. Also if sharing a common LNB, you would need some form of earth bonding on all cables from the LNB.

Carlos

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Only problem with the Octo LNB, is that I don't think that they do a C120 flanged model and you would almost certainly need one for your big dish. Also if sharing a common LNB, you would need some form of earth bonding on all cables from the LNB.

Hi Rolf, please tell us more about the earthing requirement of multi LNB's to different villas (my little group each has its own earthing system, there is no "mains in" earth). Also "flanges & LNB things" as I have to admit to not being 'au fait' with LNB/mountings in that there seem (to me) to be simple "clamp" types (as on my existing 1.3m dish) and a rather more complicated "flange/horn/feed" type or something and looking at dish pictures it is clear that I have not yet got it sussed as to whats what. Can you enlighten me at least please.

BFN, Carlos

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Carlos, if all of the villas are earthed locally, then a simple earth rod arrangement should suffice, all that it does is prevent the possibility of dangerously escalated voltages passing from one receiver to another, the voltages can potentially be 400 plus, as you will be combining phases. In normal circumstances I would earth bond to a common earth in a block of houses or flats, normally on the landlords supply.

Don't be too concerned about the LNB feed, if you buy a large dish, they normally come with their own I believe (not a big dish expert), so all you have to do is bolt on the LNB.