Fake Dreambox: An Advantage?

jbesclapez75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothing yet!
My Location
UK
Hi! I know that some Dreambox are fake ones. Easy to recognize... luckily. However, I was wondering if these dreambox had an advantage? Or a major disadvantage. I heard that they were getting hot. But I dont have one myself so I dont really know... Anyone can give me some info please? Thanks. Nic

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As there is more than one type of fake, it is impossible to give a definitive answer, some overheat, some of the tuners are not very good, some have other quirks. Why not buy a genuine one, then you won't suffer from those problems.

jbesclapez75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothing yet!
My Location
UK
OK Thanks Rolfw. First of all, I did not know there was many kind of fakes... And according to what you are saying, those "clones" are not real clones because some major parts of it are different (tuner...).
The only advantage I see from buying a fake one is the price.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With electronics, a clone may look identical externally and appear to be identical in operation, but in real terms, some components may differ, the components themselves may even be cloned versions. :)

jbesclapez75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothing yet!
My Location
UK
FYI, someone posted on youtube a video on how to recognize a fake Dreambox.

To be honest with you I was (and i am still :-)) expecting someone to give me a clear comparison with a fake one. Because if the tuner is not as good, then in which terms? is there a big gap?

I think a study like this could also help people who bought a fake one to really know what they have in front of them! (and maybe not to be too disapointed).

You probably saw from my profile that I do not have any dreambox (yet). I browsed the internet to buy one (ebay and other sites). But coz i am a noob in this, I am a bit scared to by 2nd hand... I dont what to face problems with fake products if the seller is saying it is a genuine one... And if it is a fake one: is it really bad for me?

I hope you understand why I am wondering all this!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately, you will find very few people who have owned, or do own both, so direct comparisons will be thin on the ground. There is also the case that very few people have the equipment or time to accurately monitor the differences.

There will come a time when you are going to have to make a decision, if short term saving of money by purchasing a DM clone is worrying you, then don't do it, bite the bullet and buy a genuine one from an official seller and not an ebay box shifter.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Price is low

but I think U buy problem :-rofl2