FAO Brits and British expats..

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Interesting. No links from the gov. petition to any useful info. That's why petitions in the wrong hands suck.

The idea of tracking every vehicle at all times is sinister and wrong. Road pricing is already here with the high level of taxation on fuel. The more you travel - the more tax you pay.
It will be an unfair tax on those who live apart from families and poorer people who will not be able to afford the high monthly costs.
Please Mr Blair - forget about road pricing and concentrate on improving our roads to reduce congestion.

I watched a very good interview recently where the case for abandoning various car taxes in favour of a simple SatNav style payment aggregator was put forward. The device would track a car no more than a SatNav does now (sic).

So, just like the petitions creator summises - if you drive a lot [read: pollute a lot] you pay a lot - or, try and go greener.

While the principle sounds cool to me, one I don't drive, and two the government will probably cop-out on all the practical bits and **** it up generally. Senario: unlike some countries that quite happily get on with techno solutions like this, the UK will adopt its "if it ain't broke" attitute and road conjestion/quality will get worse and taxes will increase (irrelevant of one's general wealth).

With nearly 1.5 e-signatures - its certainly looking like nothing is broke.....