Fault with Panasonic TU DSB30

jpmilne

Reaction score
Hi

I have a problem with my Panasonic TU SB30 receiver.
  • I can turn it on and view channels, but eventually there will be a strange electronic interference noise with the audio and then the audio will stop. The picture also freezes a few seconds later.
  • If I turn the receiver off for a few minutes and then back on, it can work for a bit but then the same problem occurs.
  • Sometimes I can be using the receiver for over an hour and it happens or it can happen within a couple of minutes of turning it on.
  • It happens whether the receiver is warm or cold.
  • This happens irrespective of the channel being watched.
  • Also, sometimes when I turn the receiver off, next time I turn it on the box freezes in stand-by mode.
  • It seems to be very temperamental as to whether it will turn on and be stuck in stand-by mode or whether it will turn on and then lose audio and picture.
I don't subscribe to Sky and I'm just using it to view the free channels.
I'm getting pretty frustrated with it and would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance.

JP

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Never seen a Panasonic 30 with your problems JP.

The only thing that is familiar is bullet 6, staying in standby. That’s a known problem with the Panasonic 30 when the PSU starts to die the box will stick in standby, it could be your other problems are caused by that also.

If you google Panasonic 30 psu you will find sites selling parts for repairing this, you might see a fan advertised saying it will help prevent erratic problems with the box caused by overheating, I have always been sceptical of how likely this is and for a box in your condition I think something else, like the PSU, is going to be the cause.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Think it is more likely to be a hardware problem than a software one with symptoms like ‘strange electronic interference noise’ and sticking in standby. However with the recent problems with Panasonics it might it might not be too surprising.

Are you still having problems with you Panasonic 30 Llew? Mine was working perfectly this morning after three weeks of very predictable crashes.

When and how did your problems start JP? Was they sudden, or building up over time?

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Well here in Cyprus I have no problem with our TU30 when the aircon is ON,
but like many here we do not run the aircon 24/7. With the aircon OFF the ambient temp. in the lounge runs about 32 Deg.C+ in the summer with R/H up to 90 percent and the box sometimes demonstrates the locked-in-standby symptom. A box fan has cured the problem. Remember also to keep the inside of the box dust free, and NOT located (as our's was, plus VCRs) inside one of those cabinets with glass doors.
A seperate problem took place between 2200 and 2330 GMT on 18th June, total loss of ALL channels. Others here also had this and it seems to be that a break in SKY's uplink took place - whether planned or a fault I don't know - but for several hours afterwards there was no 'active' facility. Since then signal strength has increased on the 2A North beam, but quality is down by 5 percent. We suspect some changes were made (by SKY) to enhance Euro2004 coverage to certain parts of southern Europe. All channels are still receivable here in Cyprus, but the point is that when 'on the fringes' even small changes to the location of the satellites or transponder erp is immediately detected, whereas in (for example) UK viewers would likely be unaware.
Cheers,
Geoff

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
So the fan does work, you’re the first person to convince me geoffreys, every other report I seen (just in passing, I haven’t been looking) has been very vague and along the lines of ‘well I put the fan in, changed the LNB and cable and updated the software and now it doesn’t crash as often’ which is hardly conclusive, that’s why I said I was sceptical.

Here we hardly ever have inside temps above 30 and rel/humidity is never as high as 90%, The box (for the last 4 ears) doesn’t seem to have these problems, so either we are lucky or temps need to be higher than that, but it does have plenty of air circulation also which will help.

Where abouts are you jpmilne? Could the box be overheating?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes PoloMint, problem still persists, every day with no exception.

My box is open to the room, raised on one inch feet made from plastic piping to allow air to circulate freely - the underside is quite cold to the touch so I suppose there is adequate cooling of the CPU and PSU.

Picture blocking followed by freezing occurs about half an hour after switching on from standby . The RC LED stays on, and only by switching off at the mains and leaving off for five minutes cures the problem, after which it behaves itself.

Llew

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
Well the fan worked fine for me! Had similar problem with my PC, which is now 8 years old (same age as the TU30) and fitted with a Pentium 2 processor, an additional (it already had 2 fans fitted from new) box fan solved random crashes and random disconnects from my isp. It is quite possible that these Panasonic TU30s could show same symptoms, but caused by different things.
For good fringe reception they are hard to beat, however, which is why we go to lengths to keep 'em going.
Geoff

barney

Reaction score
geoffreys said:
Well here in Cyprus I have no problem with our TU30 when the aircon is ON,
but like many here we do not run the aircon 24/7. With the aircon OFF the ambient temp. in the lounge runs about 32 Deg.C+ in the summer with R/H up to 90 percent and the box sometimes demonstrates the locked-in-standby symptom. A box fan has cured the problem. Remember also to keep the inside of the box dust free, and NOT located (as our's was, plus VCRs) inside one of those cabinets with glass doors.
A seperate problem took place between 2200 and 2330 GMT on 18th June, total loss of ALL channels. Others here also had this and it seems to be that a break in SKY's uplink took place - whether planned or a fault I don't know - but for several hours afterwards there was no 'active' facility. Since then signal strength has increased on the 2A North beam, but quality is down by 5 percent. We suspect some changes were made (by SKY) to enhance Euro2004 coverage to certain parts of southern Europe. All channels are still receivable here in Cyprus, but the point is that when 'on the fringes' even small changes to the location of the satellites or transponder erp is immediately detected, whereas in (for example) UK viewers would likely be unaware.
Cheers,
Geoff

Hi, same problem for me.
Panasonic 30 and 3 mt dish. i've problem with 2A north beam, expecially in the morning. When the signal is low and i go on a channel of north beam(ex. ch 118) "no signal is been recived" and blocKed is the box. (the led of remote control in on). Switch off the plug of 220V and restart the box.
In the night,when i have a good signal, no problem.
this problem is start around 1 month ago. Is very hot the top of the box.....
The reduction of the power is true, infact you are ok and me no....
What is the software on air now? is a software problem?
Regards

Sorry for my bad english
Barney