Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
SWMBO dug the crate of bird-feeders out yesterday, as the UK weather finally turns a little cooler after our extended balmy Summer.

A pleasant surprise to note that the very first visitors were one of our favourites, the Long Tailed Tit.

Sitting having my brekkie just now, we've got Blue Tits, Greenfinch, Robin and Chaffinch.

A nightmare to photograph as the bird table is so close to the house and the little fellas are so twitchy, hence creating a new Topic, aside from Nature Pics, where Members can report unillustrated sightings over this Winter.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Great Tits have arrived (No smut, please).

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Blackbirds,Thrushes,Blue Tits,Rooks,Seagulls,Wrens,Robin,Pigeons,Collard Doves,Jays,Crows,Magpies,Great Tits & Sparrows,

I try to feed them every day in the winter.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I still see the normal ones though not as many.Sparrows, a few Blackbirds, The white blackbird still comes a few times a day to feed on the suet.blue tits.The only bird in sight just now is the Robin it seems to be having a turf war with the Sparrows.I hear Magpies and crows but do not see them much.And of course Pidgeons.That is about to change now though going down the garden now to load the birdhut and tray.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have my feeders out all year, but a;so put out suet blocks when the weather gets colder. May but my trail cam looking at the fat block, as that attracts the woodpeckers and Long-tailed tits.

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
I have got through about 15kg of sunflower seeds already.The nuthatches appear to be caching them as they wouldn't be able to fly if they were eating all they take.

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
This is where the Robin spend some time on top of the birdhut looking for new victims to chase.
Robin.jpg

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Blackbirds, Blue Tits, A Robin, many Starlings which alight upon and colonise the fatball holder before roosting, Collared Doves (an exotic species in my garden when I was young).

Magpies. Started to build nests in the tall trees in gardens at front and back of the house a couple of years ago. Have been taking Blackbird eggs and fledgelings this year, and I'm here to tell you that, if at the point of a gun I was forced to eliminate a species of bird for ever from the suburban gardens around my patch...

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I offer peanuts - all birds love it

A

Archive-8

I have baby robin just popped up, and he has been coming back several times a day.

He seems to be fussy over the fat balls I put out, they don't like the wilkinson's fat balls.

He likes the peckish fat balls.

IMG_1331.JPG
I have peanuts, a suet candle, some block of seed (can't remember what)

And I buy the peckish winter seed mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Wwe have lost the greenfinches over the last 10 years - they used to be regular visitors but they are exceedingly rare here now.

Chaffie numbers have gone down too. One success story has been tree sparrows - we get 4 or 5 in the garden most days, although this is at the expense of the house sparrows

One unwelcome visitor is a brown rat which has taken to coming into the garden scurrying up the bird feeder post & sitting on top of the posts surveying his domain. The bloke from the farm will be bringing some poison down in the next few days.......

In the meantime I try to give him a high pressure enema with a water squirt gun :D

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I put cups on bottom of feeders to help with spillages, works ok, still get mouse but don't mind him, don't want the rat
IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2746.JPG IMG_2256.JPG

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
The nuthatches appear to be caching them as they wouldn't be able to fly if they were eating all they take.
Tell me about it. And they don't remember where they've put it either. I've seen sunflowers started growing out off chopped down tree trunks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The word has got around .....Coal Tit has just heaved in to view.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And I've just discovered SWMBO has flashed up more Feeders in the back garden, so now I need eyes in the back of my head or to institute a patrol regime.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Speaking of small birds, this little thing flew into the living room window a few weeks back, it had a bit of a headache for a while I'm sure... :-lol

14709410_614505745387950_6675276512616251392_n.jpg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Unless I am much mistaken, that is a Firecrest.

We have experienced kamikaze blue tits, nuthatches and blackbirds over the years and recently my neighbour and I watched incredulously as an adult Pheasant flew at full tilt into a window of another house in the village.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And now the Goldfinches have arrived.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Feed The Birds.....

....in reference to the above thread title, are the bags of feed still retailing at 2d??....(or more likely 6d allowing for inflation and market fluctuation)