Ferguson issues Ronaldo warning

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says the club would rather put Cristiano Ronaldo in the stands than sell him to Real Madrid.

Ferguson has met the Glazer family, who own the club, and said: "Their attitude is 'To hell with them'.

"They'd sit a player in the stand, I'm telling you, absolutely no doubt about it, just to prove a point."

According to Portuguese newspaper A Bola, Ronaldo has promised to clarify his position in "two or three days".

The 23-year-old is currently with the Portugal squad ahead of Euro 2008 after a season in which he inspired the Old Trafford club to a Premier League and Champions League double.

They have been brilliant owners

Ferguson on the Glazers

He has a deal with United which runs until 2012 but has so far refused to state publicly that he is to stay with the club.

Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster has made no secret about his admiration for Ronaldo.

And United have threatened to report Real to Fifa for making their interest public.

But the Spanish outfit's president Ramon Calderon has defended their conduct, saying recently: "We know they [United] aren't a selling club. It is a problem between player and team."

Ferguson insists that the Glazers are determined to keep their prize asset, even if it means taking a tough line.

More...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I hope they do it. Don't want to lose this player, but I would love it if one of the clubs would say to a player: You are under contract, and if you don't like it go and play with the reserves. That'll teach those greedy players, but especially those blood sucking agents. The pendelum has swung too far in the direction of the players.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I blame the agent, and to a certain extent Ronny's mum who seems to believe Real Madrid is the centre of the earth despite Real failing to progress past the last 16 in the UCL for 4 years now.

I don't think his going anywhere, why would he want to leave the champions of Europe? If I'm wrong, then let him but make sure we bleed Real Madrid dry - £100 million would be enough, just.....

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
I think he will go, if not this year then definately next year.

He doesnt deny it either, hes been talking about Real Madrid since the very beggining, rather annoying really.

My personal view is, that if he doesnt want to play for United, let him go... we dont want players going through the motions, we need players giving blood, sweat and tears for the cause.... as do all clubs.

Just wish he would step forward and tell the world whats going on... only he knows, and by doing so he what stop all the rumours.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
He won't though, because he and his agent want another 10,000-20,000 in wages.

kreacher

Waiting for HD
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky - Humax STB
My Location
India
Ronaldo is trying to keep everyone guessing with his ambiguous statements. If he wants to stay he should just come out and say it clearly to end all this speculation before someone says something wrong and there's bad blood on both sides.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I say that if he wants to go, then bleed the royal
madrid ********, and take Iker casillas as well. I reckon Nani is going to be so good in the coming 2 years we won't even feel he's gone.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
the trouble is TG, as soon as Ronaldo goes Nani will be looking elsewhere too.

he said that the biggest influence on his decision to come to united was to be with Ronaldo?

so as soon as he has a good season, we will have trained another player up for Real Madrid... WTF are we now!!! Madrids bloody feeder club.

i find it embarassing that Fergie is going over to the Portugal camp and begging Ronaldo to stay!

tell them we want 100m and stick to it :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well perhaps they ought to cup tie player for the season following for the European competitions, only allowing them to play in domestic competitions, perhaps this would stop some of this opportunist rubbish. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
rolfw said:
Well perhaps they ought to cup tie player for the season following for the European competitions, only allowing them to play in domestic competitions, perhaps this would stop some of this opportunist rubbish. :)

I do like that idea, but again it would be an infringement of EC freedom of movement rules, and if the shoe were on the other foot it wouldn't be so great.

The trouble is that the players are getting increasingly more powerful and they know it. The merchandising sales potential of Ronaldo must be truly unbelievable, and then there's sponsorship as well.

I think agents are all too willing to breakdown that trust between players, clubs and fans, and that just can not be a good thing.

I suppose it just makes you admire even more the likes of Ryan Giggs, Tony Adams and Matt Le Tissier who really did/do play for the love of their clubs.

kreacher

Waiting for HD
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky - Humax STB
My Location
India

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
this is one of the reasons i am for the 6 and 5 rule

any club would have to have 6 british and 5 foreigners.....

OK, it would shake things up for a couple of seasons, and prices for british players would shoot up for a few years.... but i think british players are more loyal as they are usually playing for the love of the club, and wouldnt be tempted by clubs on the continent so much.

as for the benefits of the national team, well that goes without saying!! imaging the choice the England manager would have then :)

in fact all the home nations would benefit, with british players being allowed so the Scots, Irish and the Welsh would be better off too.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
RedDevil_UK said:
in fact all the home nations would benefit, with british players being allowed so the Scots, Irish and the Welsh would be better off too.

well this is the one massive problem with the 6+5 rule - smaller countries suffer because their domestic competition is poor. i suppose a solution would be for the 6 to also include players which come from countries that have a long history of their players playing in the said league.

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the BBC News Desk

Real Madrid's interest in signing Cristiano Ronaldo takes a new twist as the winger says he would like to play for the Spanish club.

Real have been tracking Ronaldo, 23, despite being warned off by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I'd like to play for Real Madrid but only if it's true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them," he told respected Brazilian website Terra.

"However, it does not depend on me," said Portuguese midfielder.

"I'll only talk about this again after the European Championships," added Ronaldo. "Don't ask me any questions because I won't answer."

More...