Fibo totally seized - my experience for info.

Satfan2007

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Twin 4K, Fibo 1.2M Motorised
My Location
UK
Have come back to this site after a while - just thought I would share my experience with a seized 1.2M Fibo dish. This was left on one Sat for quite a while, and when I recently went to move it to another Sat, it would not move at all ! I suspected the motor or nylon cog, but after taking off the dish and removing the motor - with difficulty, when the hemispherical part is still on the bearing, I discovered that the bearing itself was totally seized up. Almost as if it was welded together !
I took a mallet to it and after several minutes bashing it, it gradually came loose and then I could finally separate the hemi train from the bearing. The white lube had totally dried up ! After cleaning and re- lube-ing with grease, I fitted a new motor which I had bought a while back and connected everything back together again. The old motor and nylon cog are still fine, but now the dish moves easily with it's 36 Volts applied !
Hope this info is useful for some.

(Now to find a Hi Def replacement for my Echostar DVR 7000 which has served me well for several years. Why don't they fit 36V supplies these days that will drive this dish ? I need to get up to speed on this, I guess.
Any thoughts ?)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Select a receiver you like, that suits you, and just use a V Box to convert Diseqc to 36 Volt.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Make sure it's a V-box with 5v output for optical sensor as well.:)

iambruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gregorian
My Location
yorkshire
Like Satfan 2007 I'm about to start using a Fibo which has been left dormant for some time it's working, but would it be benefical to add some grease to the workings and if so what type and where?

kanel

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 mtr motorised channel master,3x2.4mtr channel master motorised several fixed dishes lots of recievers
matrix swiched through 4 plasmas & 12 lcds all hdmi,componant and composite switched
spectrum meters .
t/mate 5000/5500 36volt
tmate 9100,500,6
My Location
scotland /uk
it was a customer who had the 1.2 dish mount several years back
i striped out the gears made it swing free then added in a top angle apprx
300mm at the top with actuator bolt hole ,
than because the bottom part of the mount was aluinium i bolted on an angle to hold universal holder for the actuator then sprayed the lot with galv paint i have lost the pictures i took may be able to source them however it looked the dogs when it was finished i was the only guy in scotland that new what to do to get the mount active ,everyone else said forget it change it for a channelmaster and polar mount??that would have been easy but i have a passion for satellite and engeneering i just had to bring it back to life and its still going strong today,
long live fibu mounts and gregorians ,,,,

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
When I took apart the motor of one last week, I found that the grease within the teeth of the nylon cog had gone rock hard, forcing the bearing down onto the main case. The motor would move East, but would not move West without a lot of noise.

A few minutes with a toothpick and some 3 in one oil sorted out the issue and the motor now spins freely.