Fibre optic LNBs the future?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since many teleports use fibreoptics to convey signal across distanced from the head end to the antennas, it was only a matter of time before it was viable to be used on domestic set ups.

The price difference is going to be the main factor for a full rollout though, standard RF cable, connectors and the average universal costs are peanuts compared to the fibre alternative.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure how much more expensive it will be, probably going down to Reigate on Thursday to see the finished article, plus anything else which is about.

It should certainly mean that smaller dish sizes will often be possible, even when the feed is 50m or so and 50m of WF125 5 core is not exactly cheap.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
A 50m run of the fibre is significantly cheaper than the equivalent multicore wf125.;)

However the LNB + quattro GTU is significantly more expensive than a standard quattro.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
I have several installations with cables up to 100m and a bit over. If using good quality cable, generally I face no problem.

D

deleted

i am a installation engineer and have been invited by my supplier to go and do a setup next week .

i will post the results.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
BombedOne said:
I have several installations with cables up to 100m and a bit over. If using good quality cable, generally I face no problem.

Try 200m.;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
dale094 said:
i am a installation engineer and have been invited by my supplier to go and do a setup next week .

i will post the results.

Thanks, will be interesting to hear from someone regarding an actual installation.:)

richard_s

richard_s
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
live on a complex on complex system + a bit more ;)
My Location
tenerife
you can find morehere
_http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/pdfs/FIBREarticleGI.pdf

richard

mkgigs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm technomate 5200usb promax tv explorer
My Location
uk Staffordshire
ive seen the system work a few months ago and yes it works well.You will still have the same problems tho as it converts the feed back into coax.
The idea isnt new really been around for years.Think about it cable run a fibre back bone around the uk sending TV teleco and broadband then convert into copper.Most the faults end up from poor cooper installation tho.
Now people know why i spent time working for cable lol...wanted to see how the network worked.
If global expand on this system no reason why it cant be used to distrubite the broadband in flats etc that the goverment are so eager to give to people. Cable modems work through the coax 1st than back to the local node wud need multi switches with a return path to pass back to the headend unit.End users cud use a modem same as for cable tx at about 25 to 30 mhz for return.

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
I think it'll def be the way forward, even more so as price should eventually drop- would be so nice to have no loss sat system at home:)

I also understand no earth bonding required in multiple output IRS systems using fibre optic.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
kenny1234 said:
I think it'll def be the way forward, even more so as price should eventually drop- would be so nice to have no loss sat system at home:).

There would be no need for satellite links at all if the fibre-optics are rolled out across the UK. One head-end and a system of funnelling switches at the end of the road.

mkgigs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk Staffordshire
no earth bond of the headend is needed but yes will still be needed on the multiswitches as this is still copper property to property. Think we are still ages away on having a complete fibre system dont think sk....y will be investing in fibre stbs yet due to expense of design etc.
Cost of fibre lnbs etc will quickly drop in price once companys doing the infastructure take up the advantages of a fibre back bone system in buildings and new build estates.
Dont think sk...y will be backing this to much as it makes the system really into cable network and once the multiswitches are about for return path makes it a one fibre for tv teleco and broadband. IRS engineers will need re trainning into the system set up and workings. Ive found enuff evidence to show alot of them have enuff dealing with current IRS networks and service issues.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes subscriber feeds still need to be earthed.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
mkgigs said:
Dont think sk...y will be backing this to much as it makes the system really into cable network and once the multiswitches are about for return path makes it a one fibre for tv teleco and broadband. IRS engineers will need re trainning into the system set up and workings. Ive found enuff evidence to show alot of them have enuff dealing with current IRS networks and service issues.

Don't think Sky carries any relevance on this, they certainly wouldn't use it for standard residential installations and are only interested in what is delivered to the subscriber outlet in IRS systems, most of which will be coax fed on the final leg. Obviously longer term the way to go will be for total fibre infrastructure in IRS systems, but that's another story.

For the purposes of this thread, we are interested in The quality and performance of the LNB and ancillary kit, plus the price compared to a more traditional coax fed system.

I've calculated that ignoring the need for a larger dish size on a 50m run of WF125 five core cable, the fibre option works out slightly more expensive, but raise this to above 50m and the fibre system comes out cheaper, take off the difference in price due to the ability to use a smaller dish and the fibre system wins hands down.

mkgigs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk Staffordshire
Of course the fibre feed wins both in performance and cost.Labour will be greatly reduced as well.Real time saved will be on 9-13-17 wire systems and the poor engineer wont have to haul loads of cable drums around always a problem when the lift is broke lol

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
hello i plan,to buy now this fibre lnb in flansch version,for my gregory dish from invacom the current price is 200 €
where i can buy around 30 meter fibre optic cable,and how much this would coasts?
how this lnb and the cables are conected?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You could try one of the site sponsors, I believe southernsatellite was selling the Fibre optic gear.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hello
I don´t think people here have really thought about this new technology as it stands. I think it is deeply flawed and inefficient.

I will give you an example. Say you wish to distribute a satellite signal to a small estate. Lets use 32 houses as that is what Global/Invacom say is the maximum number of outputs possible from their LNB - so the last outputs on that system (assuming the splitters have no internal loss – impossible but we shall assume for ease) will have 3.125% of the signal coming out of the new LNB. Assume houses in a row and dish at beginning.

With say a televes modular cascading multiswitch system, you would run four cables out of quattrol lnb to first house fit a four output multiswitch, you would then run four cables from that multiswitch to the next house where there would be another multiswitch and so on and so forth to house 32. (OK so I have ingnored amps – keeping simple as I am trying to show cable usage).

On the new system, yes one feed comes out of LNB to house one. Now we need to work out the most efficient way to split the signal. If we try to minimise fibre usage by using a two way splitter feeding one output to the new fibre to coaxial converter (I will abbreviate FCC) and the other output to house two and repeat this we will reach 3.125% of original signal by house five . No good.

To get 32 outputs we have to split the feed at house one with a two way splitter, one cable continues its run, the other one is split with a four way splitter, three of these feeds continue their run, the remaining feed is split by another four way splitter. Three of these feeds (sub Sub Sub feed) continue their run and the remaining feed goes to a four way FCC. So now we have 1 + 3 + 3 i.e. seven cables continuing to house two. One of the sub sub sub feeds goes to a four way FCC, then the six remaining cables go to house three, again one sub sub sub feed goes to a four way FCC five feeds go to house four, this continues until the first set of sub sub sub feeds are used then a sub sub feed will need to be connected to a four way splitter and so on and so forth.
Now these FCC are about three times the price of a standard Televes cascading modular multiswitch, and the LNB is at least three times the price of a standard quattro LNB. Now think of the cost of these fibre optic cables (pre-terminated is expensive). Ok so there is little signal loss with fibre and you save a little on amps. I can only think this system would be cost effective if you had a circular estate with the dish in the middle and used and eight way initial splitter. A spiders web kind of design.

I think the system would have worked if they had a daisy chainable system. Had a laser amplifier in each FCC (so negligible signal loss) and just run another thin cable for low voltage power for the amp ( I take credit for this idea and am happy to accept royalty cheques!!) So only two cables power and signal.

Pity I had been looking forward to fitting a fibre optic system, but after working out the practicalities (or otherwise) of the system it is not cost effective or time effective.

Thoughts anyone?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The obvious design advantage is very little attenuation over an extremely long trunk.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
There is no real reason why the fibre-optic system cannot have a parallel output, with all four outputs of the LNB combined at the head end and then driven simultaneously down one piece of cable.

Switching can be done at the remote end via a simple optical changer, not unlike the old downconverter/upconverter BSB systems mentioned in the Technology section.