Fibre optic LNBs the future?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
At the recent CAI trade show in the midlands, there were several fibre optic head end systems on display, mostly for use in larger systems, but still of interest.

Of most interest was a prototype from Global Invacom, a fibre optic LNB, requiring a 12v supply at the dish, but otherwise only a single fibre back to the distribution point in the house/apartment block.

The beauty of fibre optic over coax cable is the practically non-existent loss, less than 1db over 100m.

This particular system can provide multiple feeds from a small switch, and by cascading, I believe that the system shown could provide 48 feeds or even more, ideal I would have thought for our big dish members in Astra fringe reception areas.

this was only a prototype, but a working prototype, so keep a lookout for the finished product, was advised that it should be available in both LNBF and C120 format.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Any pointers there on terminating and/or splicing the cable runs?

There are several methods of terminating the cable using different types of connector, but it will be a different ball game to coax (light losses etc.)

Llew

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
soon,the invacom fibre opic lnb must hit the market,but i dont know prices yet,i think it could be very expensice 100€ or more for one lnb!

is also a special wireless device like a sender,nesersary,on the backside of the reveiver?
instead,of optical cable conection,30-40 m of optical toxlink cable,also aproixmently 100 € or more,seems to be,everything will be very expensice

also,there are now products on the market,that coasts even much more,where you can transport,the lnb signals over the powerline like internet signals,in every household!

but i have no further information yet,i only know,that this products exists but not for the "mass" market!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there is a small switch unit, it can either go behind a receiver, or you can use it centrally, then send over traditional coax once in the home.

It will obviously be an expensive alternative for the standard domestic installations, but has huge benefits onbig dish or large multipoint systems.

They are also considering a terrestrial input for Integrated systems.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I did miss out then by not going along :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, had a chat with the guy on the stand and have to say that it was very interesting, can't wait to see the final product launch. Imagine only having to run one cable to a head end from the dish, with perhaps a 12v coax feed from a PSU , a combined cable if the cable manufacturers pick this up.

I certainly see this as a boon for the system installer, near zero loss from dish to head end, means either negating the need for an IF launch amp, or facilitating the use of a smaller dish in sensitive locations.

Must be an advantage for the big dish boys, as distance to the dish is no longer a problem, as long as there is a cable route.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes the benefit of no loss from dish to switches would be an advantage esp.. on long cable runs to the headend, it's a shame sub feeds were also fibre instead of coaxial where most of the signal problems occur :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It can be cascaded, so there could be fibre runs to the apartments.

Have requested further and better information from Global, as I'm not 100% sure on the capabilities of the switch.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Any info you get, let us know

Cheers :)

teddie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm dh 6800+250 hdd usb,tevion hdd/dvd recorder,tevion upscaler hdmi dvd player,philips 42 plasma hd,.beheringer psudo surround thru hi fi ,..
My Location
ireland
im wondering if theres a way of using fibre optics lnb into my tm hd 6800 or any digital box,..is there a way of converting an optical feed to a cable input [ f type] signal ,.come on you clever boffins out there,..that way it would lower the signal loss by using a short cable fed from the optical feed,..and we can use our current stb`s,..teddie,.:confused:-doh2:cool:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes there will be when this is brought into production, but whether you'd want to pay the price for a standard installation is another thing altogether. :)

teddie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm dh 6800+250 hdd usb,tevion hdd/dvd recorder,tevion upscaler hdmi dvd player,philips 42 plasma hd,.beheringer psudo surround thru hi fi ,..
My Location
ireland
thanks rolfw,..just wondering if you heard anymore on the fibre optic converter,.how much and where to buy,.and also the f o lnb? cheers,.teddie.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi teddie, no, not heard any more yet, but not really expecting to until late autumn, or possibly the new year, as it can be a long time between prototype and production model. :)

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
how the signal will be transmited,are the difrent solutions?
when i must buy 30 meter of fiber optice light weave cable,that normaly used for souround receivers then its quite expensive 10 meter aproximently 30€!

normaly incacom should have already realese this lnb,in tsi from april in spring,the told it comes out in summer time,now iam wondering,why nothing is here for the public to pruchase?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I didn't see it until June Turok, but as I said, from prototype to production model can be a difficult road. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
If anyone wants to read the TSI article, you can download the pdf from -
_www.tele-satellite.com/TELE-satellite-0805/eng/global-invacom.pdf

Llew

teddie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ireland
cheers people,,..and congrats to you Llew on your 10 yrs in forum,..you seem to be a serious sater,..good for another 10 + im sure,...

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I had the opportuinity to see these in action today. Impressive.

The current offering from Invacom includes:

Optical Fibre LNB

Quad fibre GTU ( converts o/p of LNB to standard quad signals)

Quattro fibre GTU

Twin Fibre GTU

2 way, 4 way,8 way optical splitters

Fibre joiner.

Pre-made armoured Fibre leads ranging from 1m to 200m length.

No terrestrial input as yet though, so a hybrid system using a standard multiswitch would be needed. But accoring to the Global rep, the intention is to provide terrestrial as well.

The fibre cable is just 3mm thick, but seems to be very robust. A knot can be tied in it and it still works.:-rofl2

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Personally I see only one usage of such system - when you're deep underground, and your antenna is only thing above earth surface, and you have a lot of thunderstorms in your area. In such case, this LNB can be good isolation to protect your equipment from high voltage...

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, the main advantage is long cable runs without the need to worry at all about cable losses. The loss of the fibre is 0.03dB per 100m according to the rep.

Also for a multiroom satellite distribution setup, system design and installation would be childs play, as again there are no cable losses to factor in, and only one main trunk cable(fibre) is necessary.

The max recommended number of optical splits is for 32 outlets, but each of these can be connected to conventional multiswitches using the quattro GTU, or each fed to the quad fibre GTU for a total of 128 sat tuners.