File Extension Conversion

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I have got 3700 files which have an extension which I want to change.

Is there any way of carrying out a 'bulk conversion' of the extensions?

Reason is I have upgraded Media Player to Ver 9, and it now classifies my .asf files as Other Media, wheras the previous version saw them as Audio Files.

As Other Media I do not get the Album Info displayed and categorized in the player, although it is of course still in the file.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to convert the format of the files from one type to another, just the extensions.

Regards

W, Hole

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

For a change I have been able to find part of the answer for myself.

It seems to lie in the attached Script, but I would like to know how to 'Automate' the Script, so that it doesn't throw up the OK Dialogue Box after each file is converted, and also if poss how to get it to work through a Directory Tree so that I don't have to change the Folder Name or File Positions for each batch.

Any ideas?

Regards

W. H.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hold your fire -

I think I have found a piece of software to do this.

Will report back.

Thanks

W.H.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Is this what you want?

"This tool allows you to rename a lot of files
by one click.
You can define a list of "Search for/replace
with" terms. Furthermore you can turn all
files in a specified directory into lower-
or uppercase. You can use the tool recursively,
so it parses all sub-directories of a specified
directory.

No installation is required. Just start the
"fileren.exe"."

AND ITS FREE

http://www.virtualzone.de/files/filerenamer.zip

nobbly

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Good news is it's a lot easier than that guys. a simple single DOS rename comand does it.

If you are children of (slaves to?) Windows, here's the detail in 7 easy steps:

Close down any open explorer screens you have pointing to the folder with the files you want to rename

Start up a good old-fashioned "DOS" window (using the "command prompt" function usually found in the Windows Accessories folder of the start menu).

in that "DOS" window, navigate to the directory where your files are kept (remember the "CD" = Change Directory command?). Depending on your Windows version and the length of your folder/directory names, you may need to specify them using the DOS short-name notation ("My documents" becomes "MYDOCU~1" and "My documents as well" becomes "MYDOCU~2" etc etc.). Or if that's all too tricky, just make sure you put the files in a folder with a short name (<= 8 chars) in the first place.

issue the DOS rename command with appropriate wildcards... "ren *.old *.new" (without the quotes) where "old" is the file extension to be changed into "new".

5-
exit the DOS window using "exit" command or clicking on the "x" top right.

There is no step 7

See

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Nobbly and the OM

Thanks for your replies - I ended up using a bit of software called - Magic File Ext Changer.

It was a small download, and did the job well.

It's funny, but I don't know if I would have trusted myself to get it right via the DOS method, but it does look very straight forward, and is probably what is at the root of the software anyway.

Thanks again

W.H.