File Sharing with imesh

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
imesh have released a new version of their file sharing software version 3.1
It now includes simultaneous downloads from multiple users, chat, and resumed downloading.
With around 500,000 people connected the amount of files/mp3's shared is a little limited as there is no forced sharing. Are well.
But if your after the more common files with a high speed downlaod it works very well.
Check it out at http://www.imesh.com/

nobbly :+

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi nobbly,

The thing that really peeves me on these file sharing networks is the amount of people who do not share. I use WINMX and periodically check on the who is facility and will now cut the upload if the person looks like an obvious leech, Very often when checking you'll find the person with a broadband connection is sharing no files, yet has been on the network for 3hrs and downloaded several files, they've obviously no intention of sharing as they must be sending their downloaded files to a non-sharing directory.......Off they go onto the ignore list.

Nobody expects an absolute beginner to have loads of files, but what seems like fifty percent of the downloaders on these networks that have the ability to monitor sharing have no files, or only the ones that they have downloaded in that session. I'm seriously thinking of joining one of the private networks with a forced 2Gig sharing minimum, as I really hate leechers, particularly those with broadband.

I'll try the sofware you mention and see what it's like, i still feel that Kazaa seems to have more files available than any other P2P network.

Rolf

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Apr-02 AT 11:00 AM (GMT)]Which private networks?
The one I use is Direct connect. up to 60 Gig Share.
I like imesh for speed and user interface and Direct connect for content.

Direct connect link:
http://www.neo-modus.com

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I dont use this type of system myself, but I have heard some very bad things about Kazaa and its ability to pull things off your drive and send them remotely, via a dormant piece of software.

Whilst the internet should be a very communial system, allowing thoughts, ideas and advice through to everyone that asks for it, its again the case of 'Im not going to show you mine, even though Ive already taken yours'

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Apr-02 AT 11:20 AM (GMT)]@ CH, There is a version of Kazaa called Lite, that doesn't have the spyware, haven't tried to instal it yet, but may do over the weekend. What I'd really like is for a filter setting so that I can filter out obvious leechers, ie: those who have made many downloads, but still have nothing in their shared directory.

@ Nobbly, there are several private hubs, I haven't checked them out yet, but if I do I'll let you know how I get on. They are particularly good apparently for video, but with all of the satellite I have I'm not that interested in that side of things, plus I find the general quality very disappointing

Rolf

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
KaZaA contains spyware from cydoor technologies which tracks your internet surfing habits in order to deliver those annoying banner and pop-up ads which comes with the KaZaA interface.

"i would recommend that nobody uses the previewing option in Kazaa as this takes a snap-shot of the data downloaded so far and bungs it into the windows temp folder. what this means is that if the file being downloaded contains a trojan or what have you, it will be copied to this temp file. SO, even when your virus scanner finds that the actual downloaded file contains a nasty, it may actually miss the one in the temp folder. I hope you catch my drift. "
from http://www.hackersdigest.com/kazaa.html

Some spyware info and spyware removal here:
http://www.simplythebest.net/info/spyware.html