me-smith

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm FTE dish (fixed)
FTE 0.3 LNB
Samsung 9400 FTA
My Location
France
If Film4 wishes to change its business plan to increase revenues via advertising as opposed to subscription, why would they choose to go FTV and pay for encryption? Is there any definitive word on whether Film4 will ultimately be FTA or FTV?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The reason they would choose FTV rather than FTA, would be regional copyright, they would be straying into zones for which they have not paid for it.

Bear in mind that their target marketplace is the UK, not France or Europe and at the present time, anyone resident in the UK, can either buy a FTV card, receive it on terrestrial Freeview (eventually) or perhaps cable.

I don't think there is any confirmation yet as to which way they will go.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The press release of a couple of weeks ago was a masterpiece of confusion. The writer apperarred to be mixing up fta, ftv, satellite and DTT.

After the More4 debacle, I would be inclined to wait and see what happens - becuse its determined by the terms of the encryption contract(s) that C4 have signed for their channels. Sky have said that anything under the main C4 contract cannot go clear before the contract expires in 2008

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
Sky have said that anything under the main C4 contract cannot go clear before the contract expires in 2008

This confuses my feeble brain since any contract has a termination of contract clause in it and the only way that it can be enforced until the end of its term is if it is contractually too expensive to terminate early ie. there is a massive fee payable, if that is the case then someone either signed it without reading it properly, or just never envisaged the situation would arise :-bash I go for the former({})

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm a bit puzzled about FilmFour going FTA or FTV, as they're still showing adverts for subscription (and quite often).

What is the real story?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Film Four are dropping their premium price and going some sort of free service in July. If you believe the press release from about 3 weeks ago, then they are going fta, with FF Weekly being closed.

HOWEVER, seeing as the pr writer seemed to have little idea about the differences between ftv and fta and even dtt and satellite, the actual truth could be different........

I'll try and find the pr so you can make your own mind up.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Anyone know if it will be availbale to the Irish viewers? It was possible to subscribe to FilmFour in Ireland...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Any free stuff from film4 would be very welcome .....

What i do is record films with subtitles, and scan through quickly for the "gist", and only "watch properly" if it's interesting, and I've time .....

CH4/E4/More4 almost always subtitle films. ITV 3/4 never do, even though the subtitles are already available (but they still manage to subtitle adverts!).

john22

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung Motorised COMAG sl55. Panosonic TUDSB 30 Sky box.
My Location
Ireland
Cupart said:
Anyone know if it will be availbale to the Irish viewers? It was possible to subscribe to FilmFour in Ireland...

I would assume that the same card[FTV] that opens up CH.4 in Ireland Will do the same for FilmFour If they deceide to go that route.
John22.
Nice one Spiny about the subs looking forward to that.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Has anybody heard when in July this is supposed to happen?

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Thank you kind sir

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I wonder if its going to be taken off the terrestrial platform on or around that date to be replaced by a gambling channel (ala Men and Motors)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel Hopper said:
I wonder if its going to be taken off the terrestrial platform on or around that date to be replaced by a gambling channel (ala Men and Motors)

No - its staying on DTT.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
moz1uk said:
Its FTA at this moment.

Some bloody success that was, technician could not be arsed to switch off the encryption where I am, still encryted and I am missing the well advertised film I have been looking forward to all week where is he:-flame :-argh :-crying

ceevee

Reaction score
Website
www.ceevee.info
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500 connected to 6MB ADSL Internet, with Gbox on a 1.2 satellite Dish.
My Location
Malta
Hi,

I am from Malta, and I was wondering if Film 4 will be FTA or FTV, and if it's FTA will it remain on 2D? As every one knows there is a looping promo of FIlm 4 that it's gonna free etc... Ahh.. an other thing, what is the frequency for Film 4 if it's FTA/FTV? Is this Film 4 loop Film 4 Weekly? Any knows whats gonna happen as of today? I can still watch FTV as I have a Sky Card with the Yellow House on it. Sorry for asking too much, thanks for any one who might answer me. Cheers!! ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
FTA on my digibox, but then again the freeview terrestrial box will not tune it in. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry I was talking freeview USB stick anyhow in the past 10 minutes first the picture arrived and now the sound has suddenly appeared so I off to watch the film.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As I say, the Freeview box won't even find it on a channel scan, can't understand it, as the one I did yesterday found it fine. It did however find the HD test transmissions for the London region, but of little use without the HD box.