My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I installed my motor, which took me around 30 mins, not too bad. I located Thor 1w very easily, but the thing is I can receive 19e,16e,5e,and not many channels on 1w. Where could I be going wrong? Do I need to elevate my dish a little more? The mount was dead straight, I took my time with a spirit level and got it spot on. I thought maybe I got it right first time, that would've been brill. I remember before on hotbird I only received the pay per view channels and when I tilted the dish I got others, now that the motor is on I can only receive the pay per view channels again. I don't want to start tilting again incase I lose everthing again. Do you think that's what I should do? Thanx for your help.

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
Oh by the way, the quality was 97% on Thor, is it possible I'm slightly off the arc?

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Hi T-E-N-N-A, well done you are on the start to better things. You might be slightly off on your installation. try pushing/pulling the bottom rim of the dish and see if the signal quality goes up, also left/right on the side rim of the dish. If quality goes up that is the way the dish needs to go.

Also software in most receivers, ie channel/transponder list are out of date, take a look at http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=28972
A thread by T_G, some helpfull tips in there.
Cheers AF

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If the tp lists are out of date, look at

h**p://www.lyngsat.com

h**p://www.flysat.com

for up to date info.

Well done lass:D

M:W

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I suppose the answer could be in the skew T-E-E-N-A. Do you have a universal LNB or are you using a polariser of some description??

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
jimbo said:
I suppose the answer could be in the skew T-E-E-N-A. Do you have a universal LNB or are you using a polariser of some description??

I'm using a universal lnb Jimbo, which is completely central, will I turn it slightly anticlockwise when I go back to 1w? Will that make much of a difference?

I'll also try what you said Aforester, it's not a bad day today, so I shouldn't get frostbite unlike yesterday. Thanx guys for your replies.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Your lnb should be vertical in its holder when you are on your south satellite (1west for you) the lnb should be upright. As the motor swings the dish the lnb will be horizontal and vertical to the beams being received. Do not alter it once it had been set up initially. The mechanics of the motor automatically presents the dish, and hence the lnb, face on to the vertical and horizontal polarised beams from the satellite.

The skew of the lnb has only to be optimised on dishes that are moved manually around a pole for different satellites.

Slay3r

Reaction score
Hi T-E-N-N-A

Were in the UK are you and what size dish have you got ?

Slay3r

T-E-E-N-A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GBsat 2CI0,
80cm dish,
SG2100 motor,
Matrix reborn cam,
Cas 3 programmer
My Location
Northern Ireland
I'm in Northern Ireland and my dish is 80cm (I would argue and say 83cm LOL, but that's me). The lnb is totally upright on 1w. Oh btw I already had that list of strongest transponders printed, that's what I've been using.

Slay3r

Reaction score
Thanks T-I-N-N-A

Im in the Birmingham area, but as yet undisided on dish size, I was interested in what you were able to receive ?
I am stuck because the only position I can install a dish will leave it fully exposed (face on) to the north and south winds, thus I may have to settle for a smaller dish Triax 64cm and hope I get a good selection of satellites.

If there is any one out there in the Birmingham, could you help with some advise?

Slay3r

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I read of a little tweak which goes like this.

Using a signal strength meter or watching the strength reading on aTV screen, tune to a transponder which is transmitting H pol and then select V pol (18v) on the meter (or receiver) and turn the LNB in the mount to obtain the weakest signal. Repeat on the opposite pol, i.e. V pol transmitted - tune to H pol and tune to weakest again.

I have had the discussion before about offset LNBs and skew. Some need a twist (mine does) but others may have the offset designed into the LNB so can be square on. I think Sky LNBs have the offset built in. I suppose a variable polariser would be best for optimum signal.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
T-E-E-N-A said:
I installed my motor, which took me around 30 mins, not too bad. I located Thor 1w very easily, but the thing is I can receive 19e,16e,5e,and not many channels on 1w. Where could I be going wrong? Do I need to elevate my dish a little more? The mount was dead straight, I took my time with a spirit level and got it spot on. I thought maybe I got it right first time, that would've been brill. I remember before on hotbird I only received the pay per view channels and when I tilted the dish I got others, now that the motor is on I can only receive the pay per view channels again. I don't want to start tilting again incase I lose everthing again. Do you think that's what I should do? Thanx for your help.

You have to remember there are 3 birds slotted at 1W, using multiple footprints. Some of the channels are on Nordic beams, which are unavailable in the UK unless you have a very big dish. The Thor 2 & Intelsat 10-02 channels are more favorable for the UK. You can more or less forget Thor 3.