Finding satellite positions by the sun.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
here's a better one:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Jeff_19341 said:
@ bronking

She's holding the dial too high upO-Ha , please re-do.
i would if i could, (that's the missus,she never listens) i'll do another later:D

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
@ johnsattuk. Your coordinates were just about right. Thank you.
@ bronking. As for the Sundial, quite ingenious, and it works:D

Surprising how we can can get satisfactory results with a little help and some friends.
At least I know where the satellites are and already have a resonable view to 28.2 East so with luck 19.2 East will also be viewable. Trees are still a problem, thirteen of them, but most of the lower limbs have been lopped off, so you never know. Sadly though Hispasat appears to be blocked by a tree trunk.

I think I will get one of those see through dishes like rolf has, I know they are dearer but if it can be less obstrusive all the better.
Let's just get some decent weather and I will take the next step to satellite heaven.;)
Allan

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
you can get see through trees (if u use a chainsaw:) )

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Why not just buy a compass from the pound shop and use that??? Thats what i did in the days before i was given my second sat finder by JuMbUcK.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A compass is not accurate enough to guage whether a satellite can be seen through a small gap in trees.

patrick_coorg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Starsat SR-X200CI Plus
My Location
Egypt
Go to this web site and browse u r location and it will give u a rough idea towards which position hispasat is locatedO-Ha dont forget to select u r satellite from the list.

www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/earth

all the best

allan238 said:
Okay, I have been in denial for a couple of months now since moving to a Bungalow.
Between Trees, branches and flats I am able to see little bits of sky and I want/need to do a bit of experimenting.
I believe that at 12 noon GMT the sun is pointing approximately due South. Could anyone tell me at what time the sun would be pointing at 19.2 East and at Hispasat.
At least I should be able to get some idea of what could be possible, and that is before the leaves come on the trees:D At best it will have to be a fixed position, but at least it would be something.
What is it with this hobby? I have Tivo working away in the background and I never watch half of what it records, yet here I am desperate to start playing around again.
After years of indulgence and pleasure of European Satellite it would be nice to hear and view some of those channels once again.
Incidentally, living in hopes, Would I get Hispasat here in Wiltshire with, say a 60cm dish, or would it have to be 80cm?
There you go, In my mid Seventies and starting to really shock my elderly neighbours.........this is Crystal set close along here....wish I never had to move, how I miss my 1metre motorised setup.:(

puffin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 150 with an Inverto Black Ultra and a Pace 2600C1
My Location
Borlänge 200km WNW of Stockholm
spiney said:
There's this, don't know how good it is .......

http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/satellite.htm .

A lot easier (approx) with a compass, and using Web sat bearing calculators for exact location. If it's difficult to tell, that might mean the trees are going to slowly "grow across" your dish!

I can warmly recommend this site.

I had a really difficult installation in my new house with tall trees around. If you want to find a gap between obstacles - this is a very good solution.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
for less than 3 quid, if you have no other gear that will do I found all the sats in my arc with a compass and bamboo sticks stuck in my back garden- its tecnical I know:) but hey it works.

jimmcgee5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKYSTAR 2
My Location
SCOTLAND
do google for gorbtrack , pick your location in the first tab , and in tab 5 there is sundial to print out.

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Thanks for your input.
However thanks to rolfw the situation has been resolved, I am now happily watching Spanish and German channels to my hearts content;)