Finding satellite positions by the sun.

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Okay, I have been in denial for a couple of months now since moving to a Bungalow.
Between Trees, branches and flats I am able to see little bits of sky and I want/need to do a bit of experimenting.
I believe that at 12 noon GMT the sun is pointing approximately due South. Could anyone tell me at what time the sun would be pointing at 19.2 East and at Hispasat.
At least I should be able to get some idea of what could be possible, and that is before the leaves come on the trees:D At best it will have to be a fixed position, but at least it would be something.
What is it with this hobby? I have Tivo working away in the background and I never watch half of what it records, yet here I am desperate to start playing around again.
After years of indulgence and pleasure of European Satellite it would be nice to hear and view some of those channels once again.
Incidentally, living in hopes, Would I get Hispasat here in Wiltshire with, say a 60cm dish, or would it have to be 80cm?
There you go, In my mid Seventies and starting to really shock my elderly neighbours.........this is Crystal set close along here....wish I never had to move, how I miss my 1metre motorised setup.:(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Allan, can't help with the positions of the sun I'm afraid, but Hispasat should be good with a 60cm dish, you are better placed than those of us North and East of you and I can pull it in with a minidish in Berkshire. :)

Glad you've not lost the bug. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
There's this, don't know how good it is .......

http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/satellite.htm .

A lot easier (approx) with a compass, and using Web sat bearing calculators for exact location. If it's difficult to tell, that might mean the trees are going to slowly "grow across" your dish!

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
To do a comparison of desired satellite azimuth angles and the suns azimuth I would recommend the demo version of a program called "NOVA".

It will do it all for you but you will spend a bit of time getting it all working accurately and updating its satellite database with the current NORAD elements. The biggest problem with the demo version is that you cant store your config settings so you have to get it right first time so to speak.

Very very good program for anyone interested in tracking orbital objects and the proffessional version is used by NASA.

Cheers.

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
Sun,what's that??????;)O-Ha

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
nice easy way, make your self a "sundial"

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Well with all these suggestions, even if I can't get a clear view of a satellite I'm going to have a lot of fun trying.
Thanks guys.
Allan.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How far West are you Allan?

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Sun moves @ 15deg/hr relative to earth, I think :D

http://www.satellite-calculations.com/

The 'Look-angle' calculator gives time of look angle & Sun azimuth coincidence for different sats. from a given location

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:

24 hr one might be more accurate :-doh!

Kiteflier-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lidl 0.8m dish and Sky dish with 4LNB's 28E 19E 13E and 7E, Skystar2 PC card
Also Sky digibox for FTA channels
My Location
West Lothian
Hi guys,

Try this web site:

http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/satellite.htm

You input your latitude and longitude along with the satellite you are interested in and it returns a list of times for when the sun or moon is in the same location. This happens exactly only twice a year near the equinoxes, and we've just passed the spring one, but you can use the time the sun is at the satellite azimuth and note that the sun will be slightly higher than the satellite. For accurate latitude and longitude, I got mine from www.heavens-above.com just choose the option to select your location from the database. And while you're there, you can get a timetable to see satellites in low earth orbit.

Neil

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Once again, thanks for all the good advice. Unfortunately my elderly brain refuses to go back to school.
Studied the various sites and finally decided that my inteligence and mathematical prowess are virtually nil:-doh!

However looking around at the kit I have available. Echostar via 3000,
another Echostar non via and a M-Vision FCIS 7000, plus assorted cams, including the beautiful Dragon complete with cards going back to Genesis, not forgetting the Elvis and a couple of Cas 2. I just can't let it go to waste.
I remember many years ago just sticking a dish on the wall and twiddling until I finally found 19.2 East and some free sky channels. Those were the days!

Anyway there you are, when the weather gets nicer the fun begins, come to think about it, these old dears around here could do with a good laugh, and what funnier way than me deciding to ignore all technical aspects and go the religious way a la Maradona and hand of god:D
I am going to get hold of a cheap dish and LNB, strap it to the wife's or my
Zimmer frame, and have one of us walk around the postage stamp patio until I get some sort of signal.

WHY? I only wish I knew;)

The saga continues.
Allan.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
allan238 said:
I believe that at 12 noon GMT the sun is pointing approximately due South. Could anyone tell me at what time the sun would be pointing at 19.2 East and at Hispasat.
At least I should be able to get some idea of what could be possible, and that is before the leaves come on the trees :(
Hi Allen

If you give me your Lat. & Long. I'll look it up, and tell you the times :)

John

PS Taking Bristol as location, which is probably near enough for what you want to do

Astra 10:49:23
Thor 12:14:33
Hispasat 14:18:44

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronking

johnsattuk said:
24 hr one might be more accurate :-doh!

have a look at thread title Finding satellite positions by the sun.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
allan, nice sunny day here in cheshire so.........
if it's the same where you are (do a bit of blue peter)
print the attachment i did in earlier post
put paper flat on table or floor outside with sun shining on it,
hold pencil vertical on centre dot at noon ,
twist paper round until noon is pointing at sun
then the 2 red lines will show you roughly where 19E and 30W are
:D
the wife will thankyou for not straining her back

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
bronking said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronking

have a look at thread title Finding satellite positions by the sun.:)

Have a look @ Alan's post [quote - Could anyone tell me at what time the sun would be pointing at 19.2 E & 30 W]

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
your just being pedantic now:D

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
allan have alook out side at 2 0'clock you'll not be far off 30W

slcartaxo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fte 420 maximal;head 500; e agora s200 fte
My Location
portugal
what position do i put the sat if i want to see nagra 2 in new jersey " cranford" to be exact,,

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
allan redone if youve still got time