Fine Tuning 1.2M Dish - Madrid, Spain

Flipit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just installed a 1.2m Andrews and 0.3 invacom quad combo in Madrid, but would appreciate any direction on getting the best out of it.

I aligned it initaly based on a Dishpointer.com LOS guess, which gets me 99% AGC , however differnet transponders are giving me different Quality and BER readings, I'm using a DM800 with about 3m cable, so I'm trying moving a little by little left and right up and down etc, but getting mixed results.

I've tried on 10818 (Which I think is the frequency for BBC London, i think I read this was the hardest to get ) the best I can get is about 46% and 2000 BER, 7.00pm at night so not so bad, but then if I switch to other tranponders they seem to drop down to 30% or less with higher BERs !

Is there a Transponder I should be using to fine tune the alinging, sorry if this obvious, I couldn't find anything in the forums using a search.

Thanks

Phill

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Moving the Dish is only a part of it: Have you tried adjusting the LNB both in terms of Skew and of position relative to the focal point of the Dish?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi, you need to consider the difference in received signal strength from each satellite across the 28e slot. Astra 2d beam for example is tightly focussed on the UK and from a quick search on the forum, requiring a 150cm -180cm for 247 reception in your region. This maybe where your confusion lies.

Careful dish alignment can only be carried out using an alignment meter and normally peaked on the weaker transponders. In addition 2d horizontal transponders can be weaker to receive.

Flipit

Reaction score
Tivu: Scew and focal point I thinkare ok as I've got the single to go from 20% to 46% varying this.

Satelliteman: Yeah just couldn't fit a 1.5-1.8m so had to compromise, I went for the best dish and lnb I could find recommened at 1.2m. (I think..) so I know I'm gonna lose some early hours and evening, which is probably destorting the set-up given I was try to align it at 7:00pm my time. Would trying to get the best signal on a 2d horizontal be the best approach ? I just don't have access to an alignment meter other then the DM800 SatFinder. I have all the channels tunned already as I did it of anoth dish in the UK and saved the profile, so I'm not worried about trying to run the auto tunner, just tehe balance on picture vs the limitaion of the 1.2m dish. Ta
Phill

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Alignment on 2D transponders is recommended. This is where an alignment meter can help as all signal measurements can be seen as you make careful adjustments to the dish and LNb/skew. Sure this thread will be seen by some of our local members who may be able to offer more help.

petert74

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.3m dish
Panasonic Digibox
My Location
Spain
The dish is too small.

We just about get away with 1.3m in cadiz, you need a much bigger one in Madrid.

at least 1.5m+

:)