Fine Tuning Q: One dish, quad+monoblock

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
I have a 1m Gibertini with Invacom quad for three feeds from 28e. This works well and I've replaced the holder with a multi-holder. The centre-focus works well with 90% quality and I would prefer to leave it central.

I've a monoblock that I'm trying to get 19/13e on. So far, I seem to get the horizontal channels at 40/50% on 19e.......I am looking for pointers on how I can fine-tune this setup.

I assume that the 19 and 13 focal points are lower than the central focal point? Is this where most of my issues lie - as the LNBs are pretty much the same height...?

Any pointers on getting this slight issue resolved would be welcome as the wife would like the second dish *gone*.

Location Zurich btw - so I assume if Hotbird's not coming through, it's alignment rather than me being off-footprint.....

Ta muchy in advancy :)

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Leee said:
I have a 1m Gibertini with Invacom quad for three feeds from 28e. This works well and I've replaced the holder with a multi-holder. The centre-focus works well with 90% quality and I would prefer to leave it central.

I've a monoblock that I'm trying to get 19/13e on. So far, I seem to get the horizontal channels at 40/50% on 19e.......I am looking for pointers on how I can fine-tune this setup.

I assume that the 19 and 13 focal points are lower than the central focal point? Is this where most of my issues lie - as the LNBs are pretty much the same height...?

Any pointers on getting this slight issue resolved would be welcome as the wife would like the second dish *gone*.

Location Zurich btw - so I assume if Hotbird's not coming through, it's alignment rather than me being off-footprint.....

Ta muchy in advancy :)

One lnb would be up and one would be down relative to the center lnb,but not both down. You would need skew same as HH system.However,if this is not possible,you would have to move the center lnb to an outer position and replace with appropiate lnb from outer position into the center position.:-doh!
But the lnb bracket or preferably the dish must be skewed properly.:D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure how well your idea will work, the monobloc LNBs are designed to work well on 80/90cm dishes and for 13 East to be the main focus, so the 19 East side feedhorn is slightly closer to the dish. If you use it the other way, then 13 East will be further away from the focus and either that or the other side will have a bad focal length.

The monoblock ahould be sloping gently down away from the 28.2 East LNB.

kalamar

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Not sure how well your idea will work, the monobloc LNBs are designed to work well on 80/90cm dishes and for 13 East to be the main focus, so the 19 East side feedhorn is slightly closer to the dish. If you use it the other way, then 13 East will be further away from the focus and either that or the other side will have a bad focal length.

The monoblock ahould be sloping gently down away from the 28.2 East LNB.
hi folwf
I was running my Triax 110cm with a Triax multi block (4) on my SG=2100 motor system and the sats did line up after the center lnb was found set correctly.
But it was too much for the motor.:p

And you are right,some will not be in the optimal focal point but if signal is strong enough,it will work satisfactorly,at least mine did.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but was that with four separate LNBs Kalamar? It is slightly different with a monobloc.

kalamar

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Yes, but was that with four separate LNBs Kalamar? It is slightly different with a monobloc.

Yes sir it was a Triax multiblock (4) lnb, BUT I only used 3 lnb's on it,didnt need 4 and didnt move the motor much due to the load factors. I think some pictures of it are still here on this forums somewhere :rolleyes: you look see :) im too lazy today.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Are you talking about a single LNB which covers four satellites, or a dish capable of holding four LNBs?

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
oi stop hijacking my thread :-hijack :)

I have some extra ideas now....rejigging the monoblock connector and bending a little here and there....... the arm was only €6,90 ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Leee, that should help, the difference may not be critical, but you can only find out by trying. :) At the end of the day, the worst that can happen is that you have to buy two single LNBs and a DiseqC switch. :)

PS. Sorry about the hijack, but it is to do with the question of the monobloc, I think that Kalamar is speaking of a multi LNB setup, not monobloc.

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
kalamar - you can't be married, dude. I'd be shot for that setup ;)

Rolf - what I'll do is switch the holder to the 13e side of the monoblock and see if I get more joy there. I'll then apply some gentle but short-lasting downward pressure to see if I can improve signal.

And if it all goes horribly wrong, LNBs + switch here I come :(

kalamar

Reaction score
But I got damned good Chicken wings and beer!

And lots of channels O-Ha

And NO ONE is Shooting at me ! (presently)

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
heyyyyyyyyyyy sorted.........
for one, the gap is such that I had to offset 28e a little. Dual recording at the time too, hope the missus doesn't realise why there's 2 minutes missing in her movie ;)

I'll post pictures at some point but signal is up around 60% and I only had to do a little bending ;) :D One less dish on the balcony is good though....

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
attachment.php

Points to note:
  • The white 80cm dish was at one time mounted on the grill stand. Thankfully, the weather's been crap this year
  • The Sweety hanging above will come in useful when I move; on a motor. I'll revert back to the original LNB holder and I'll eBay this one as "modified" ;)
  • The bottles behind the grill are home-made grappa from my wife's great uncle in northern Italy
  • Yes, those are my footy bits in what should be a greenhouse-thingy. Watering can protected by shinpads? You got it
  • And that is a badly-hung flag of St George behind everything