Firefox versus IE

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
In virtually all polls on this subject - Firefox wins hands down :-righton

Your views (and vote) please. Personally I use both, but maybe you're an Opera fan :cool:

Regards - Marts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Marts, can you add another option or two, like,

I use both and like them equally

I use neither

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
rolfw said:
Marts, can you add another option or two, like,

I use both and like them equally

I use neither

Nope, don't have access to the poll bit, but you are more than welcome to do so on my behalf :D

Cheers - Marts

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK Marts, have added two other options and cast my vote. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
IE for me.

I'm lazy, or should I say too busy fixing everything else to be jiggering around with different browsers. Personally, I fought the IE thing for a long time, but when they 'killed off' Netscape a few years back I'm afraid I gave in.

STICK the sell-out. :-ohmy

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
IE for me too
Whilst also not a fan of the MS empire I feel comfortable wirh it but both my children (it I dare call them that being in their late teens) swear by Firefox as there are no holes in it to allow highjackers and popups. As a point of interest I was reading that the next version of Firefox which was due to be released in March will not be released until much later in the year. If I can find it I will post the link or copy the article.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
toppervte33h said:
As a point of interest I was reading that the next version of Firefox which was due to be released in March will not be released until much later in the year. If I can find it I will post the link or copy the article.

Good point. I wonder what Firefox 6 will look like. Personally I feel Mozilla are on to a winner ... long term :-righton Hope they do a Google and go public :cool:

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Must admit to being a dinosaur when it comes to change (Still using W98SE)
Having said that, I tried Mozilla (full) for a couple of years, and now will not use anything but Firefox. Only use Forte Agent for mail, as I hate OE. Still have IE installed, but that's because it's there.. (incidentally, I did remove it totally using an exterminator proggie, but lost the abillity to programme M2 cards. Re-installing IE made it OK again Weird?)
Incidentally admin, I'd be interested in a poll to see what members use as an email client. As I've mentioned, I swear by Agent (s'pose I'm showing my age again!)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I have Firefox, Netscape, IE, and my favorite Opera which I use nearly all the time.
By the way Firefox has a security hole which can allow hackers to highjack your PC.
Read about it in a PC magazine, will let you know more about it when I track it down.
Remember they said that as Firefox is only a small section of the total browsers it may not be a big problem.
Think the same applies to all browsers though, except IE.

dago

Reaction score
no contest, mozilla is much faster and easier to use. regards

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi dago, Mozilla maybe easier but I find Opera much faster.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
daveenty said:
Incidentally admin, I'd be interested in a poll to see what members use as an email client. As I've mentioned, I swear by Agent (s'pose I'm showing my age again!)

Never mind Admin Dave, start a thread (poll) yourself and I will prove to you, beyond any reasonable doubt, that "Incredimail" is the bees knees ;) O-Ha

Regards - Marts

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
I agree with you Marts, "Incredimail" is the bees knees by a country mile, but if you held a poll Outlook Express would walk it, not because it's the best but because it's there on everyones (nearly) computer.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Rob said:
I agree with you Marts, "Incredimail" is the bees knees by a country mile, but if you held a poll Outlook Express would walk it, not because it's the best but because it's there on everyones (nearly) computer.

True of course, but we must try and break these virtual monopolies. In saying that, I am not a Bill Gates basher. I actually respect the guys talent. And who wouldn't if they only took the time to track his history :)

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Marts said:
Never mind Admin Dave, start a thread (poll) yourself and I will prove to you, beyond any reasonable doubt, that "Incredimail" is the bees knees ;) O-Ha

Regards - Marts

OK Marts, challenge taken :)
(not actually a challenge, but a matter of interest)
I'll up it in a few minutes

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
I use Opera of course,ten times faster browsing the net than stoneage Explorer.If I for some reason would have to go back to Explorer I'd stop using the Internet.

Firefox sounds interesting so maybe I should give it a try.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
netscape is not dead,i go on there once in a while.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Safari - OS X browser,

The one that stopped Microsoft developing a new Mac version of Explorer!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
As a developer I prefer Firefox, lots of good developer add-ins and it doesn't try to load in Windows Explorer every time you start it (loads of overhead if you map network drives).

As a user- it's quicker, less prone to crashing,gives better protection against malicious scripting and the open in new tab function is very useful.

And Bill's monopoly is slightly diminished :)

A quick look at the forum web logs will tell you what browser people use to view the site...

C

ctomer

As a web developer, it would make my life a lot easier if IE just disappeared.
So many bugs, lacking support of web standards, and huge problems displaying PNGs correctly.
IE has held back innovation on the web and it has make it difficult for non-windows users to view well rendered web pages. Even if IE were better than Firefox or Opera, I wouldnt use it as a matter of principle.