First Direct Connect, now DC++

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
I'm a big fan of Direct Connect, peer to peer file sharing program, from neo-modeus but I came across DC++ which is an open source c++ client for the Direct Connect Protocol.

Lots of cool features like multihub connections and no advertisments.

You can download it here http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net

Oh! There is still a minium share and minium open slots..are well

nobbly :+

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-02 AT 08:10 PM (GMT)]Downloaded it Nobbly, but the share limits are a bit high for me at the moment, I only have around 1.5Gig, I'll also have to brush up on my IRC commands. The only problem is that I don't collect Movies or Apps, so it takes an awful lot of MP3s to reach the very common 10Gig qualification on a lot of Hubs.

Rolf

PS, I like the look of the software though.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I love direct connect which is why i bought an 80 gig hard drive other day. I can now get into the 60 hubs which have a lot of T3 lans.
I have to say though that more of the hubs now seem to not like you using dc++ but i recon you can use both direct connect http://www.neo-modus.com or dc++

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi s*t*a*r*m*a*n, the reason that they don't like DC++ is that there are few utilities around that can fake the users share size and other things. Unfortunately there's still a huge volume of people around who just want to leech.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I've always had a problem with these huge share requirements. In my opinion there should be no limits, and if there really must be it should be in the form of a minimum ratio of share:download. That way it would both prevent the "leechers" AND open it up to wider public than than just those permanently online divx-warriors whose petabyte hard-disks generate their own magnetic storms.
2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Jun-02 AT 07:53 PM (GMT)]Yes I'd tend to agree that they are a tad elitist, I have no intention of dedicating 10 or more Gig of my hard disk to copyright bootleg DIVX files, so I'm inelligible for many of them. At the end of the day, if they are private hubs, then they can set any minimum connection speed/sharing limits they wish, they just won't get my participation.

I really get annoyed at times though, when someone is raping my hard drive with a cable modem connection or better and are not sharing one file.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi 2old4this :) nice to see you are still passing through.

I think the share values work find to be honest. If you do not share very much then why should you be able to access all the large hubs where the larger sharers are. It takes a long time to set up a share folder of 40 gigs but the reward is that having shared more you in return get access to more. Its sort of like a barter system.
I do not think though that this can compare to say sharing information or ofcourse you could disagree? You could argue that if you do not contribute to say "this" forum that you do not have as many rights to knowledge as the next guy but thats not why this forum was set up. It is set up to help everyone. yes? But direct connect i feel is a different setup completely. If they did not have the rules of the hubs enforced then i recon that most people would just leech and that is why direct connect is so successful.