First Satellite receiver PACE MSS300 - confused

robert_s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE MSS 300
My Location
Herefordshire, UK
Hi all.
I purchased my first satellite receiver last sunday on car boot sale for £10. My intension is to have a few more programs to watch beside BBC1&2, ITV1 and channel 4.
Its just the receiver and a remote control. No cables no card.

Now my question. Do I need a card to insert into my receiver to watch free programs (any programs)? or its not necessary to have the card at all?

I connected using SCART cable my receiver to my TV and dish to LNB 1 in my receiver. I can now see only red background and message "No Signal". Does it mean I need to get a card for my receiver or just adjust the dish? Dish cable couldnt reach to my TV so I extended it with an ordinary TV aerial cable. is it right?

Also I dont get why my remote control doesnt work (not a single button) even though I bought new batteries for it. (it says RC-10 on remote control - is it right remote? may be not?)
I guess its another problem as I cant get into receivers menu without remote control
sad.gif
SAD
Can somebody help with any of my questions. thank you.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-welcome to the forum robert_s

An analogue receiver is not going to receive much that you can understand unless you speak a lot of foreign languages, especially German. Astra at 19.2 deg East has the most number of analogue channels left. Click here and look at the ones that say PAL and have a white background.
The connection you have made will probably lead to a short circuit and blow something on the board or indeed the lnb. The crt 100 satellite cable is cheap so do not compromise. Also you need to determine where your dish is pointing as if it was used for sky digital it will be pointing in the wrong direction.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
As Topper says if you have a minidish it will be pointing in the wrong direction.

However - the remote should look like this.

L.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Robert. welcome to the forum. have a look around my Analoguesat web site. Its dedicated to sall things to do with old analogue satellite kit, and has a complete list of whats still available to Europe. Any dish should give you the majority of the channels listed on the site, although for decent picture quality on the weaker ones, a 60 or 80cm dish is really required.

robert_s

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE MSS 300
My Location
Herefordshire, UK
Thank you all 4 ur replies. The Analoguesat website was a very useful thing to read.

2 more questions.

I guess I still have a problem with my remote control which is the only thing allowing me to open a menu as my receiver has only 4 buttons and I cannot access menu.
QUESTION 1.
I wonder "Lancelot".. is your receiver PACE MSS 300? If so does it say on your remote control at the bottom (very tiny print) RC-10? If so then you have same as mine but my doesnt work. I keep pressing buttons even the power button (red) on remote control and nothing happens. Could be the remote control damaged as I can power on the receiver by pressing its power button manually without the use of remote control. hm.. dont know what to do now..... I guess I have to buy a new receiver and not to bother with this one.

QUESTION 2.
I would like to point my dish at hotbirds 13E.
13E means 13 degrees East. I just need to clarify something.
For example on my watch 12 o'clock is exactly north and 6 o'clock is south and 3 o'clock is east. Now where 13E is on my watch? Is it around 1 o'clock on my watch? thx.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
robert_s said:
QUESTION 2.
I would like to point my dish at hotbirds 13E.
13E means 13 degrees East. I just need to clarify something.
For example on my watch 12 o'clock is exactly north and 6 o'clock is south and 3 o'clock is east. Now where 13E is on my watch? Is it around 1 o'clock on my watch? thx.

13 deg East is 13 degrees East of South about 25 past on your watch if I understand you on that

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire