First Setup - PLEASE HELP!!!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
well you connect it up to the dish and move the dish and when the meter beeps just check which satellite you are on and then max the signal strength by nudging the dish tiny bits

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
k cheers, when i was doing it before i moved it like half a degree every couple of seconds, so i waited for it to update, and the signal meter from the box didn't even nudge.

J

Jeff_19341

@ martz

The arc of the sun has just gone from behind the arc of the satellites.
If you cannot see the sun from the location of your dish you will not get a satellite signal. The sun's arc is only just above the satellite arc.
Do not forget, you are trying to find the eqivalent of a car headlight 40000kms away when looking for a satellite signal.
ffej:)

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
martz said:
Basically i'm trying to find absolutely any sat with no luck, i'm using a 57cm kit from maplin, but i'm using a sky box to find the signal because the Comag SL35 it only tells you the signal for the specific channel on the specific sat you select.

I think this could be part of your problem - I've got the Lidl Silvercrest (aka Comag) SL65 which I believe is the same receiver in a different case.

I found (still find!! :mad: ) that it picks up any old satellite (e.g the Sky Astra2 in my case) and will tell you you've got a signal on a channel from another sat. The boys here told me that's cos different channels on differenet sats can have the same frequency so you'll get a 'signal' put no picture!

I'd say try to find a sat you can identify easily (e.g Astra 2) and work from there....

Also it'd probably be worth finding out your lat/long and putting it in one of the sat angle calculators on the 'net. You'll find it easier then to have the inclination of the dish about right before you start searching!

Good luck

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
Id try getting hold of an old analogue sky box to line the dish onto Astra one. Ive done this indoors through a double glazed window last week and it worked a treat apart from a few sparklies due to the window.
The analogue box shows a blue screen then some static noise before you get a faint image on the screen then you can tweek it a bit.

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
i got my meter today but it's too dark now and was raining earlier, maybe i will try tomorrow

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
i've decided to do it, with the sky digibox plugged in i get about 75% strenth 0% quality and on the sl35 i get 35% strength 11% quality (i get these on the sl35 with nowt plugged in)on the sky box without the meter plugged in i get 50% quality. could the trees be blocking quality?

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
just realised i've managed to position it to hellas sat 39 east (one giant leap for me) what now?

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
my box is lying to me, it appears to be on hotbird

well atleast i think so because i've seen polsat sport and sky fila n stuff

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it is hotbird, i'm so pleased with myself, and thanks guys you really know what your talking about, i guess hotbird and hellas sat have the same freqs

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well receiving hotbird is a good sign, at least it means that the trees aren't obscuring it. :)

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
Lord Minty said:
I think this could be part of your problem - I've got the Lidl Silvercrest (aka Comag) SL65 which I believe is the same receiver in a different case.

I found (still find!! :mad: ) that it picks up any old satellite (e.g the Sky Astra2 in my case) and will tell you you've got a signal on a channel from another sat. The boys here told me that's cos different channels on differenet sats can have the same frequency so you'll get a 'signal' put no picture!

I'd say try to find a sat you can identify easily (e.g Astra 2) and work from there....

Also it'd probably be worth finding out your lat/long and putting it in one of the sat angle calculators on the 'net. You'll find it easier then to have the inclination of the dish about right before you start searching!

Good luck

spot on mate cheers, im so happy now i got it to work with those trees aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
rolfw said:
Well receiving hotbird is a good sign, at least it means that the trees aren't obscuring it. :)

i think im just going to leave it on hotbird, well untill i can be bothered to go back up the ladder and move it, its my bday next week so maybe i will be a technomate yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss! soz for the mad posting, im just so happy!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i see your 15 did you get the system to help with foregin language at school then ? german, french, italian i guess

if you decide to move the dish theres 19.2east to look at next as you should easy get that

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
well i actually got it for getting an excellent parents evening, but i said it would help with my german, but now i dont think my parents care what sat i have it on because now they've said yes and its installed there's no going back, my parents aren't the sort of people to go back on their word and make me take it down, in the first place my mum was really against having another dish but i kept going on and worked hard at school and got it in the end lol.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
just dont let them see you watching them you know channels on hotbird and stuff ;)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
:-band :-thumb1 :-bighappy _band3 :-beatles :-applause :-irish: well done mate

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
wod said:
just dont let them see you watching them you know channels on hotbird and stuff ;)

my dad just got home and i showed him, when i went past a channel called sensuality he said i dont want you watching any of those, i said delete that channel then and he said no i'll trust you lol.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
How well he knows 15yr old boys then :-rofl2
Fair play to him:D

L.:)

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Barnet, North London
bronking said:
:-band :-thumb1 :-bighappy _band3 :-beatles :-applause :-irish: well done mate
thanks, i'm so happy now lol