micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Has anyone tried to fit a DVD player to the IDE bus of the 7025.
I have a hard drive fitted already. I know that the IDE supports master and slave. If I set the hard drive to master and connect a DVD player as slave will it work? Anyone tried it? Regards.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
What are the advantages for this?
If you have a standalone DVD player, then you just put the disc and hit play. The prices these days for a standalone might be even cheaper than a DVD PC drive.
I don't think that the 7025S has a provision for installing a DVD PC drive inside, so there is the problem of how it would look like in the end, presumably in the sitting room.
Then there is the problem of recognition of the drive by the software and how would it distinguish using the remote player keys between the HDD recorded content and the DVD drive.
The new Dreambox 800 HD has provision for a DVD, so it shouldn't be that hard to do.
Please let us know how you get it on with this idea.:)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Very wise words from HB13 here

U better wait for the 8K to hit the market

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Thanks for your replies guys.
I am trying this out of interest to see if it will work.
I don't own a DVD player and usually transfer movies etc from my pc to the dreambox hard drive. However I do have a DVD player from a PC so its seems like a good idea to try it. I know it will not fit inside the box but thats not the point. I want to see if the idea works.
Cheers,
Steve

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
micron123 said:
Thanks for your replies guys.
I am trying this out of interest to see if it will work.
I don't own a DVD player and usually transfer movies etc from my pc to the dreambox hard drive. However I do have a DVD player from a PC so its seems like a good idea to try it. I know it will not fit inside the box but thats not the point. I want to see if the idea works.
Cheers,
Steve

Ok. Just remember that you will also be overloading the 7025S power supply in order to supply power to the DVD PC drive.

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Well I just took the hard drive out and plugged in the DVD drive.
Enabled the DVD in the Kernel but the software just is not seeing the drive.
maybe I need a plugin or some other software to make it work.
More research is required.......

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Just saw this kit. Looks interesting and only 59 Euro + Shipment.
_http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/receiver-digital-dreambox/dreambox-dm-70xx-dvd-kit.html
The shipment cost is high, so perhaps this is available in the UK at cheaper shipment.
It looks like the DVD drive sticks out of the box after changing the panel. :)

Edit: Not good for the 7025S unfortunately because of the large S tuner. But OK for C and T since they have smaller tuners.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
HB13DISH said:
Edit: Not good for the 7025S unfortunately because of the large S tuner. But OK for C and T since they have smaller tuners.

I have a feeling the new S tuners are smaller that the old ones, I think it is so they also fit into the tiny 600.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BonceChops said:
I have a feeling the new S tuners are smaller that the old ones, I think it is so they also fit into the tiny 600.

Well the O/P has a 7025S, so I thought I should add this note for him.

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Thanks for all the information guys.
So far the DVD is recognised by the system in the device list, so it's definately being detected. I can even open/close the draw using the remote. Problem is I can't see whats on the disk. The media player doesn't see the DVD.
I have noticed that this applies to the USB stick too. It's seen as adevice but I can't access it.
Could it be anything to do with the automount manager because when I try to run it I get a blue screen with errors then Gemini restarts itself?
Cheers.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
What version of Gemini are U using ?

Perhaps a newer will do the trix ?

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Well after much more experimentation this is my conclusion.
1) The latest Gemini Image fixed the blue screen crash :-)

2) I managed to get access to the USB stick and its files. It needed mounting before media player could see it. Could not work out how to do that from the remote control. However DreamBox Control Center sorted that out. It has a 'Mount Usb' button.

3) As far as the DVD is concerned the Dreambox will not play VOB files correctly. It will show the picture but there's no way to hear the sound. Also you need to decrypt the DVD before it will even do that!

So there seems to be little point in adding a DVD player to your dreambox as you won't be able to play movies anyway.

Thanks for your help and advice and I hope my experience will help others.

Cheers,

Steve.

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Correction: Not Dreambox Control Center, it was FlashWizard PRO I used to mount the USB stick..... doh!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I thought it had been mentioned earlier: you cannot play a movie DVD in a DVD player fitted to a Dreambox.

micron123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7025
85cm dish
STAB motor
My Location
midlands, england
Ok I can't use the standard audio out agreed. But the manual for the 7025 says I can use the digital audio out to decode the AC3 sound. Via a decoder to convert the digital back to analogue. Anybody know of such a device that can connect between the digital output of the dreambox and then into the tv sound input to do the conversion? I really don't want to buy a home theatre amplifier just a converter. Cheers.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
micron123 said:
Ok I can't use the standard audio out agreed. But the manual for the 7025 says I can use the digital audio out to decode the AC3 sound. Via a decoder to convert the digital back to analogue. Anybody know of such a device that can connect between the digital output of the dreambox and then into the tv sound input to do the conversion? I really don't want to buy a home theatre amplifier just a converter. Cheers.

Is this question related to the DVD installation or you are asking about AC3 sound from TV channels?
This might be of interest to you
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...9-how-listen-ac3-audio-technomate-5400-a.html