djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
Looking at the picture below, would I have any trouble in fitting one of these:- _http://www.spectrum-skytv.co.uk/index.php?option=Prod_detail&product_id=64100
And would it be an easy job ?

Cheers

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
No problems with fitting the Invacom to your dish,but I would buy the Sharp dot 4 instead of the Invacom.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Looking at your picture the screws are in good condition - a dab of WD40 on them an hour before you do the job will help.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Why the Sharp, better performance than the Invacoms? Can only find Sharp 0.3, will these do ?

Also at present I have got a unbranded 0.6 one, but am just struggling to get the Art Channels on Hotbird, do you think if I upgrade it will give me enough to get them ?

Cheers

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
djc said:
Why the Sharp, better performance than the Invacoms? Can only find Sharp 0.3, will these do ?

The Sharp lnb is claimed to be a bit better than the Invacom and apparently the birds likes to peck the Invacom plastic cover(the front).

Also at present I have got a unbranded 0.6 one, but am just struggling to get the Art Channels on Hotbird, do you think if I upgrade it will give me enough to get them ?

Cheers

If you don't have a sniff of the channels now a new lnb won't help.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Here's a pic of the Sharp dot 4.

cccp://www.3nity.de/3/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=96_85&products_id=454

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Nice one Steffan !. :) Nearly half the price of an Invacom and nicer to look at
If it does perform as well or better on a regular basis then this is a good thing.
have you tried them back to back ?

L

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
steffan_st said:
If you don't have a sniff of the channels now a new lnb won't help.

I am getting a sniff just not quite enough for my DB5620S to lock on, it does for a while then goes off. Could this be due to a high BER level?

Cheers

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Have a look at this attachment.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
consider this...

If the dish and LNB are not matched you may not be getting the best from your set-up. With satellite using higher output signals (50-60 Watts) with high gain and low noise figures it is not as important as it used to be to match the LNB to the dish.

If the LNB is see less of the dish that it could you will not be collecting all the signal from your dish, If it is more it may be collecting unwanted noise from any warm object like the sky or wall behind the dish. Most LNBs are now positioned 'offset' minimising the amount of signal obscured by the older 'prime focus' LNB mounts.

The smaller the dish the more important the match is that is why the Sky mini dish comes complete with a matching LNB.

You may not gain anything from replacing the LNB.

I am using a £3.99 Lidl LNB on my dish and get everything I need and that's with the DreamBox's supposedly weak tuner.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
True! I don't fit an lnb or feedhorn anymore without testing it in my bedroom with the laser first.Have to be shure the lnb is illuminating the dish.

The f/d of the dish and/or lnb is also important.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
What kind of dish are you using djc?

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
How can I tell if they're matched? Its an 80cm White Solid one, see below:-

BTW, how can I attach images as Thumbnails? Done, plus added a couple of nice new smilies. rolfw :) :-duel :-idiot

Cheers

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
djc said:
BTW, how can I attach images as Thumbnails?

I use the add attachment option at the bottom of the reply window.

This allows you to upload the images to this website.

Notice you have your images stored on another server.

P.S. Nice set-up - did notice a few extra drill holes in the first picture.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Anyway here's some additional info about the Sharp dot 4.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Thanks for the info, a bit too techy for me though, but I'll take your word on them.

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well, FWIW, I'm more than happy with my Invacom 0.3db (on 88cm Triax). I pick up stuff that I really shouldn't. I also like the MTI blue line which works well on my 1.1m Triax.

That's just based on my experience of upgrading from other cheap LNB's. I now have the twin Invacom 0.3. Superb bit of kit.

:D

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
I'm probably gonna go for the Invacom 0.3 due to availability and it hopefully should do what I want it to.

More to the point, do you think I'll manage to get Art on Hotbird with an improved LNB? Like I said its bordering on locking on and not, if you know what I mean.

Is there a way I can manually input it, I know you can import/download those pre-done Sats/Channels, but don't really want to upset my setup?

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You can either enter the transponder manually and scan, or back up your own channel settings with DBE, fiddle with it on your PC (add details of transponders AND channels), then switch it back. It's neat. Try it. At least you'll have a backup as well.

I like backups. Saves me a lot of time. Other people seem to enjoy the pain of doing everything from scratch each time. Each to their own!

:)

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
I have tried to enter the transponder manually and done a scan but the DB returned no results.

Do you know of a step by step guide for DBE, like which files I should be aiming for?

And do you think it would be worth forcing the channel in, as if the DB is not locking on 100%, am I likely to be able to get a picture?

Cheers