fitting sky quad lnb

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
are these easy to fit ?

also anyone that installs dishes on this forum know what skew setting i should have it at as i have 1-5 on the lnb bracket

also once i have fitted it, should i put self Amalgamating Tape around the f connectors as it has a sliding down cover ? and put some self Amalgamating Tape over the spare outputs or will the little plastic caps that came with it be ok ?

btw the quad is a zinwell make never heard of these

thanks

wod

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They are a doddle wod. :)

The only thing you may need to do though, is fine tune the dish, as they are heavier than the single and there will be the added strain from the extra cable on the dish arm and more so on the clip in holder.

The skew can be played with until you get the best quality reading on the receiver, I use a small amount of self amalgamating tape on the botton of the F connector, but none at the top, as the slide down cover is sufficient protection. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
nice one rolfw as they looked not so easy to fit as i've had a look at it and its got some kind of peg that slots into the arm of the dish and also some adapter came with it

how do the lnbs come off a sky minidish is there some screws ?

as for the skew setting i've seen minidishes with the quad like skewed so its angled to like 7o'clock if you get what i mean

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The old one should slide out after removing the plastic peg, some can be really wedged in.

Yes, skew generally is set around that figure.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
i noticed the dish arm had a plastic peg in it, the lnb on the minidish is a channel master or something which gives really good quality signal nearly full on both bars

so i hope this quad lnb wont reduce the signal , otherwise it shall be a zone 2 dish off ebay

wish sky would have had the zone 2 dish as standard

rolfw a silly question the best way to remove self Amalgamating Tape thats been on a few years , just cut it or anything quick ? you got a installers tip ?

thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Stanley knife. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
i'm putting the quad on to add another box otherwise i wouldn't touch the dish

just wondering what size drill bit you use to put a cable through the wall ?

i know it will be a 10mm but what length masonary bit ?

thanks

wod

prehaps a good idea to put at the top of forum some sort of tool list for self installations

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
10mm x 400mm should do it.:)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
right rolfw bought a masonary bit 10x400mm today

but do you drill from inside out or outside in ? also it best to drill through the brick or through the cement between the bricks

if i drill inside out theres a chance of cracking the brick ?

i have some of them hole plugs for inside to make it look neat

just want the easiest to do and best finish method

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You normally drill from inside, as you then know that you are not going to hit anything like cables and won't blow the plaster on the inside wall.

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Best to take your drill of hammer for the last inch or so as you drill out to avoid a big blow out, or you could just buy a blow out cover and stick it on with silicone.:) Also drill down at a slight angle.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
rolfw said:
You normally drill from inside, as you then know that you are not going to hit anything like cables and won't blow the plaster on the inside wall.

good point there rolfw as i might also drill too high or too low down the wall outside

just know i'm going to burn the drill out as the walls are solid brick not breezeblock and then brick outside

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just take it slowly and do it in several stages if necessary.:)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
well fitted the quad today and it was easy to do it but that pin in the lnb arm was hard to get out

the skew setting ended up on 1 which gave a better signal than the original lnb so it skewed to like 7 o'clock

drilling through the wall was so hard burnt my drill out was a crap 700watt hammer drill only got so far

luckly i had bought a nice 1500watt sds hammer drill other day from a diy store that ripped through the wall like butter

also that wf100 cable i used for the run isn't that flexible around corners

think i over did the waterproofing tape abit i put it all over the connectors

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well done wod, the WF100 is designed to be not very flexible, neat right angled corners look good, but are not good for the signal path. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
well i get a very good signal on the mindish its nearly on full for signal strength

also i did a lot better job than them cobra installers that originally put the dish up

also what is h109f cable ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just a cheaper version of airgap coax, I prefer WF100.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
thought so as them cobra bodge it up installers couldn't use decent cable or fit f connectors properly to save there life

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It isn't bad wod, just a bit cheaper. :)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
rolfw

i've attached some pics as to see if the cable run is ok as i had to put some bends in the cable