fixed dish astra hotbird and motorized setup for thor and hispasat

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
Hi m8s,

Apology if similar question has been asked.

I have a 80cm dish with 3 LNBs and 4 way diseq switch pointed at Hotbird, Astra19, Astra28. One of the 4way diseq switch input is unused.

I am adding a 1.1 triax dish (already been delivered) with a SG2100 motor (still waiting for delivery) for Thor 1W and Hispasat 30W.

Can I connect the 1.1m triax to one of the unused input of the 4 way diseqc switch? (I want to use the fixed dish with 3 LNBs for 13, 19, 28 and the motorised 1.1 m dish for thor 1w and hispasat 30w).

Is the above possible? Or am I talking bulsh!t here? Anyway, I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Cheers and thx for the replies.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Can you not get the 1.1 on a motor to go around to 28E then you could

dispense with the 80cm and all the other gear.

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020S; DBox2 DVB-C; 1.1m Triax twin LNB for Astra & Hotbird; 90cm Sky dish for Hispa; 4-way Diseqc
My Location
Belfast
That is my problem,

Hotbird, astra 19 and 28 are okay in front of my house but the wall starts blocking when it comes to thor and hispasat. The dilemna is, I can get thor and hispasat okay at the back of my house but my house itself blocks hotbird and astra signal when I put the dish at the back.

So, I have to put one dish at the back for thor and hispa and one in front for the others. I can also I fix a pole in the front garden and fix the 1.1 m dish there (but it might disappear if it is on the ground ;)

Thanks for the advice.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
cfphoenix said:
Can I connect the 1.1m triax to one of the unused input of the 4 way diseqc switch? (I want to use the fixed dish with 3 LNBs for 13, 19, 28 and the motorised 1.1 m dish for thor 1w and hispasat 30w).

Is the above possible? Or am I talking furry sheep here? Anyway, I will give it a try and see how it goes.

Hi Phoenix, I'm heading for virtually the same set up, except I'm planning to rotate my dish with a 36V actuator+Vbox. I asked a similar question to which answers weren't straight and forthcoming.

I haven't set up all my kit so can't comment on what would actually happen.

On an investigative front the other day I checked out the diseqc spec to see just exactly what it would support - and the following is my reasoning: Section 8.2 of the diseqc bus spec (http://tinyurl.com/44y67 from http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/4_5_5.html ) seems to suggest different devices are addressed differently - i.e. you can talk to the switch and motor independently. I bought a 4-way diseqc switch the other day which has cleared hex addr 0x15 printed on it, I'm guessing a diseqc motor might respond to 0x31.

So in theory, if your receiver knew to send commands to the motor down through the '4th' lnb position it could work, however whether the receiver would support such a set up is questionable.

It would have to know to switch to the '4th' lnb position, then send the motor command and know it was looking for another sat.

In my planned setup I've got a bit more leeway since I can put the vbox before or after the switch, and if it plain doesn't work in the world of diseqc I can still use the 4-way switch, but when it comes to choosing 1W or 30W I can point the remote at the vbox to twist the dish. Hopefully the receiver won't get too confused with having more than one sat down from the '4th' lnb selection.

The replies to my thread (_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=30365) were - try it and see what gives - so I'd recommed you do the same, if you get to it before I do, do report back, it might save me trying something silly!

Cheers CTS

electric6

Reaction score
My Location
co.down ni
cfpheonix
i think some site photos might help you get more replys+ideas
to helpyour situation
ps.not far from belfast myself

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Yes will try that.

The fact is, Monday I am going overseas (to Malaysia) for 7 weeks and will be back on 19 January. Will give it a try then. I have assembled the 1.1m dish and it is lying in my living room, looking at me now :). I guess it will stay there till my return.

Will definitely come back on this thread later but will be reading your suggestions with interest.

@closetosoton, I will let you know. Your link is too technical for me to understand, me I just know how to plug and play, and try to avoid the technical stuffs ;).

@electric6,How is your Thor reception close to Belfast? what dish are you using. The cheap, but good, 80cm liddl dish is giving me a SNR of 71-73 and goes to 60 during bad weather.

I am still waiting for the Kiosk keys update!

Cheers m8s.

electric6

Reaction score
My Location
co.down ni
TRIAX 1.1m8 folly motored
icon10.gif

cfphoenix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
What is your SNR, electric6? And thx for the info. So, we need big dishes here for THor :) (Also, Which one has the strongest signal, Thor or Hispasat?)

electric6

Reaction score
My Location
co.down ni
will check +postback:)
ok THOR 59/66
HISPASAT 95/100
might need dish tweeked abit on THOR but picking up+22 birds:cool:

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
cfphoenix said:
@closetosoton, I will let you know. Your link is too technical for me to understand, me I just know how to plug and play, and try to avoid the technical stuffs ;).

sorry, its just that no-one seemed to be able to answer so I started to look at it in detail :rolleyes: - oh I forgot to mention, it could only work if the switch passes on diseqc commands it doesn't know are for itself downstream i.e. to the motor. (it may recive the command, and think, oh, that's not for me and chuck it away.... more reading required I think... or as you: say sock-it and see! :) )

have a good trip, by Jan I might have more to say.

-CTS

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well, looks like I might be going to join you in the quest for diseqc switch/motor co-existance!

I think it may well work. I can't see any reason (if the devices are addressed independantly) that the switch would block commands to the motor. How could it? I also think that if the switch command is always sent before the motor command (if on the 'motor' LN:cool: then it should be fine. I would have thought that would be a sensible way to have designed it. Even if you have to send the switch command first manually. All my diseqc control is done from my PC, so I can manage the commands precisely and independantly from a plugin.

Anyway, I have my diseqc 1.2 motorized dish, and now an occaisionally-connected dish for Hispasat, and want a 2-way diseqc switch to split the two, rather than keep disconncting cables and re-taping my joints.

If I do it before you guys, I'll let you know what happens.

:D

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
All my diseqc control is done from my PC, so I can manage the commands precisely and independantly from a plugin.

You should be on a roll, my fear is that my recevier (Sammy DRS9500) won't be as clever, and expects either a switch OR a motor... who knows, just going to have to try it.

BGonaSTICK said:
If I do it before you guys, I'll let you know what happens. :D

Awaiting eagerly your test report..

CTS

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
and want a 2-way diseqc switch to split the two

I got my switch cheapo from ebay germany: this chap (http://tinyurl.com/4o83f) will ship his goods for (price) + (6Euro P&P)+ (5%paypal) ... worked out £7.50 for a 4-way switch... haven't tried it yet! (by 'red point' that well known chinese satellite equipment manufacturer!)

-cheers.

CTS

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
closetosoton said:
I got my switch cheapo from ebay germany: this chap

Bought from this chap myself - no problems.