Fixed & Motorised??

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Hello peeps :D,

I have a Fortec (FSCI 5100 Ultra) motorised system.

The dish is fixed to the back wall of the house and I can receive from 45e to 8w, but beyond that my view is blocked.

1). I would like to know if it would be possible to install a fixed dish on the same system, located on the front to point at Hispasat.

2). I am using diseqc 1.2 positioner setting to move the dish.

Can I use the 1.2 diseqc switch setting to allocate a position to a second fixed dish for Hispasat?

3). Can I use an automatic switch (using receiver's optional 12v output) to connect and switch between dishes?

4). I am located in S Yorks. Would an 80cm mesh dish be adequate or should I choose solid? - Something not too obtrusive would be nice on the front!

Yorks :-newb

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Can anyone advise? :) Please.

Yorks.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
yes, you're right, option 3) add a 0/12V switch which one side has the motor and the other the fixed dish.

should be fine. 80cm should be fine for the stronger transponders on 30W hispasat in your location.

-cts

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi CTS.

I never did fully exhaust the possibility of using both a DiSEqC switch and a DiSEqC motor. It doesn't work straight off the bat (I tried), but as I said, I never got around to building 'custom' commands with device addresses specified.

MiBi has just released some code/SDK info for the Skystar which shows how to call the DiSEqC command handling routines so I haven't given up yet!

STICK-the-SLACK

gasth404

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Starsat3500CUCIsuper
+Manhattan5900
+HumaxVA-ACI
motorised dish
My Location
Baltics
Yes this is possibly.
I have system with motorised + fixed dish with 2 LNB-s. You need 4x1 diseqc and connect motor to A (direct) switch of diseqc. Depens what receiver you have but normally it is possibly set dish A motorised and B,C,D another satellites like Hisat.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Thanks for the replies:) .

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find any info on using both a fixed and motorised dish on same system - although it would appear that you can specify either diseqc switch# or 1.2 positioner# for each satellite in antenna settings. Was hoping that the

CS012 LNB electronic switch h**p://www.satcure.com/accs/page1b.htm

would do for switching. Save me from getting up off my fat arse O-Ha .

Yorks

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
gasth404 said:
Yes this is possibly.
I have system with motorised + fixed dish with 2 LNB-s. You need 4x1 diseqc and connect motor to A (direct) switch of diseqc. Depens what receiver you have but normally it is possibly set dish A motorised and B,C,D another satellites like Hisat.

Thanks gasth404.

Yorks:)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
gasth404 said:
Yes this is possibly.

Think that'll only work with separate motor control, i.e not using Diseqc commands through the 'A' port.
Llew

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
So, it is possible to have both on the same system?

If auto switching may be a problem can i use a manual a/b switch (and a long stick)?

Yorks

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
In my experience (limited testing) Llew is right.

My arse is fatter than yours :p - I tried a motor on A and fixed dishes on B and C with no luck, but you can specify a device ID in the DiSEqC command. Trouble is that there are a number of device types listed for DiSEqC switches and I didn't get to try them all.

In theory it should be possible, but DiSEqC is IMHO a pretty crappy Work In Progress, and most hardware manufacturers do NOT make their kit FULLY compliant to the standard, nor do software/firmware writers accommodate people like us with hardware bristling all over our southern-facing elevations!

:D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes! A-B/Long stick works! I fully tested THAT!!! O-Ha

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes! A-B/Long stick works! I fully tested THAT!!! O-Ha

Nice one. Is it possible to switch while holding can of Carling (without spilling any?)O-Ha

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, but you have to have the stick in the non-Carling hand.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Right! That will be the warmer of the two!

No doubt it will be explained in the instruction manual.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
With the Fortec, you can allocate the 12V switching to any/all of the satellites, so you set the 12V 'on' in the antenna setup menu to the satellite that your fixed dish is aimed at. This should set the auto switch to the fixed dish port (haven't got the switch concerned, but should be OK). Don't forget to turn Diseqc to 'off' for that satellite, or it may try to move your motorised dish if it is parked on anything other than that satellite - although the 12V switching is probably fast enough to prevent this.

All done without prising yourself out of the chair - carry on necking down that Carling :) :)

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, now here's the problem, I am drinking Carling, but only have a motorised dish and a Sky dish, is this allowed? :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Only if you can juggle with two remotes and the Carling :-doh!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Now this thread contains the most useful info on the whole forum :D
Anyone wanna try for two remotes and two beers?!?! O-Ha

Now if you can do that AND eat a ring doughnut, then we DON'T want to see the pics...

:-mamster

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S. Yorks
Llew said:
With the Fortec, you can allocate the 12V switching to any/all of the satellites, so you set the 12V 'on' in the antenna setup menu to the satellite that your fixed dish is aimed at. This should set the auto switch to the fixed dish port (haven't got the switch concerned, but should be OK). Don't forget to turn Diseqc to 'off' for that satellite, or it may try to move your motorised dish if it is parked on anything other than that satellite - although the 12V switching is probably fast enough to prevent this.

All done without prising yourself out of the chair - carry on necking down that Carling :) :)

Llew

Thanks Llew.:)

Having seen the various options in the Fortec's 'Antenna Settings' that's what i was hoping

P.S Lookin' for a doughnut with a hole the correct diameter to fit around the can of Carling.O-Ha

Yorks.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
Hi CTS.

I never did fully exhaust the possibility of using both a DiSEqC switch and a DiSEqC motor. It doesn't work straight off the bat (I tried), but as I said, I never got around to building 'custom' commands with device addresses specified.

neither did i 'cause i never bought a vbox to date. that's why i suggested the 0/12v switch option, which i beleive should work assuming the receiver does the switching BEFORE sending the diseqc commands. it occured to me last night i might just have a 0/12V lying around, but it may be a 2xWay diseqc, i'll have a closer look.

my assumptions come from this pic
8lnbs12volt.jpg

perloined from http://www.satellite-heaven.de/index.htm?jump=diseqc_and_more.htm guessing that you could replace one of the 4/way switches by a motor. and then optionally do away with the 4/way diseqc switch and end up with just fixed dish one side of the 0/12v and the motor the other.

-cts