Flashing Dreambox 600 With Crossover Cable

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Does anyone know a reliable method of flashing the dreambox 600 which is connected to a laptop dircetly via a crossover cable.I have read posts wth a similar topic but most of these setups have a router I am connected directly to the box. Thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are you using a USB connector as you mentioned in your other thread?

The safest way to flash is with a null modem cable.

If you're using a crossover cable follow the instructions the same as if you're using a router.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
No i havent recieved that cable yet I was going to try with crossover cable? Which is the best software to use to dream up with if using crossover cable and do you think that it is that much safer with null modem cable that I should wait for that to arrive??????Cheers.:)Actually Can i use dreamup LAN for the 600 with a gemini.nfi image the latest one?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes, DreamupLAN or you can use the web interface of some images (I haven't tried this).

The worst that will happen is that the box will freeze if it goes wrong and you'll need a null modem cable to fix it. But it may work fine first time :)

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
OKAY but are both of these methods assuming I can access internet and communicate to dreambox simultaneously because I am connected from my laptop wirelessly to router and via crossover to dreambox so as of yet I dont know if there is a way to connect to box and internet from my laptop :toke:simultaneoulsy via my current arrangement?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Have tried DREAMUP LAN 1.2 and when i put in my box ip and connect it returns a german msg which translates to no reply from server.Is there a newer version of dreamup lan or does anyone know if dreamup lan works with dreambox 600?????

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You don't need to access the internet for anything other than downloading stuff.

Did you follow the instructions it gave you? Did you manage to set up commnication between the PC and Dreambox OK?

I only tried the LAN version once but I found these instructions for it:

Run DreamUpLAN.
In the IP box replace the default address (192.168.0.60) with your Dreambox IP address you wrote down earlier.
Click SafeMode (NOT QuickFlash)
Click Connect - if box does not connect immediately it is either not physically connected to the network or configuration is not correct.
Click SendLogin, then SendPasswd
Click Send File - Locate on your PC hard-drive the img file you wish to install, click Open.
When the file loads click Erase - a warning box will pop-up, just select OK.
The erase progress is shown in the bottom status bar, when complete click the Flash button.
Flashing generally takes around 1:30, if for some reason the timer goes past 5 mins the flash process has not worked and you will probably have to re-flash with a good image using Null-modem cable and DreamUp.
Once flashing has completed click Disconnect and close DreamUpLAN.
Remove power lead from Dreambox for 10 seconds then reconnect.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
yes have tried that when i try Very simple flash assistant program it tells me no connection established device actively refused connection. WHen i try dreamup lan it tells me no reply from server? When i ping address of box in command window it returns data ok. Is there anything else i have to do to box before it is ready to flash i have rebooted it .????

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Wow this is all very confusing. Let us get back to basics, ok?

1) If you are connected to the dreambox with a lan crossover cable, you should be able to flash an image using the flashwizzard program (I haven't got a 600 but I gues FW does all dreamboxes).
2) When you made a mess of things and want to flash an image you use the software provided by the manufacturer. You can download it from the manufacturers website vvw.dream-multimedia-tv.de/download/DreamUP.zip
The actual version is 1.3.3.0, I suggest to ALWAYS use the latest version. When flashing with a nullmodem, make sure to disconnect EVERYTHING from the box before, other wise it don't work. We have described this so many times in the forum I don't think it needs repeating.
3) I don't think flashing the dreambox using the lan connetion and the Universal Dreamup is something you should do, I for one never used that. FW is a better option.

Try this and see what happens.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Apologies for the confusion When i open the gemini image file nfi in flash wizard pro it gives me a message "this is not yet supported on dreambox 7020" ive done some reading and it seems fashwizard dosent work for dm 600
i dont know why dream up lan or vsfa wont work i think i will wait for null modem cable and try that thanks for the help

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Why not make it easy for Yourself mate, get a router and everything will be better and faster :) and safer.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
dig deep said:
Why not make it easy for Yourself mate, get a router and everything will be better and faster :) and safer.

That is not true, DigDeep. For years I had a crossover connect my dreambox to computer, no problem. i cannot see why a router in between would make a difference.
The problem he has is that he can't use FlashWizard.

Erukus: Try downloading the latest Dreamup utility and see if you can use it for flashing. It still may require that you disconnect everything from the dreambox, press connect and then power the dreambox on.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I'm a newbie at this, but I had no luck trying to flash a DM 600 over LAN, Most of the software capable of flashing via lan is expecting you to load a *.img or *.bin file. The DM 600 files have the *.nfi file extension which some apps wont recognise.

I ended up bitting the bullet and rewiring 2 serial cables into one null modem cable. I then managed to flash 1st time via dreamup.

I'm connected to the dreambox with a crossover cable and have no problems with it. If you can ping the box then It sound to me like you are not setting the correct ip in DreamUpLAN.

Type the IP of your box into your web browser to see if you can connect like that.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Have tried flashing with VSFA and it gives me message "cannot establish connection as the target device has actively refused it!" when i put the ip of the box into dream up lan it says something like "no reply from server" in german. I have tried turning off and taking all cables from box then entering ip into dream up lan and then turning everything on to no avail. Is my setup capable of seeing my box in a web browser by enetering the ip in address bar????? Remember i can only connect to either box or net 1 at a time not simultaneously as far as i know??? Im running out of ideas!!!!!!!!)(-red

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
YESSSSSSSSSS. I have managed to succesfully flash my box with my laptop dreamup 1.3 and a rs232 to usb adapter and female to female null modem cable took 25 mins but it works excellent Thanks to all who helped Cheers:-rofl2

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
As you know by now My setup I am still having problems with comunicating via crossover. SHOULD I be able to put my box ip address in web browser address bar and see a screenshot of box is this the best test as to know if my communication is configured properly?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
erukus said:
As you know by now My setup I am still having problems with comunicating via crossover. SHOULD I be able to put my box ip address in web browser address bar and see a screenshot of box is this the best test as to know if my communication is configured properly?

I am not a dreamer but if you cannot then I do not see how it can be configured correctly. It is only the same principle as someone accessing their router via a web page. or going laptop to pc via a cat5 cable

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
I am sure my dreambox communication page is setup correctly. I think my problem is my network configuration on the pc. There is a wireless connection which i use to connect to internet via bt router. Then there is my LAN connection which i am trying to use to connect to dreambox. and 1394 adapter. When my wireless connection is enabled i ping laptop ip address and alls good.I then disable wireless and enable LAN i ping dreambox ip all good.I cannot run two together i.e. if i enable LAN for my dreambox I cannot open web browser and access internet. so it seems they cannot run concurrently. Does anyone have the same setup who could help me trouble shoot my laptop network configuration.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
OKAY Today has been quite a succesfull day for me I have finally managed to communicate to box from laptop via crossover using this guide _http://www.dreamboxtips.com/tag/ftp/ i followed blindly and it seems to be bulletproof now i can try to understand exactly what ive done. Anyway success at last. Thanks:);)