Flashwizard.Control your dreambox power

albaniasat

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you describe Flashwizard which is the most beautifull program ever created for dreambox.

You can create an image backup of your current system on dreambox.
You can install a new image on you dm.
You can make a backup of your satellite settings and install new settings also.
You can telnet at dreambox through it.

For those using dreambox 7000 you can use flashwizard to install new images on usb flash or on dreambox hardisk or even on NFS .

All these actions can be done easily and painess through this program.

The homepage of this program is :

h**p://w*w.satnews.it/ricevitori/dreambox/flashwizard/index.shtml

PLEASE NO LIVE LINKS, ALWAYS MUTILATE THEM BY ADDING STARS HERE AND THERE! TG

Regards

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
albaniasat said:
For those using dreambox 7000 you can use flashwizard to install new images on usb flash or on dreambox hardisk or even on NFS .

Hi albaniasat, greetings !

Also with the 5620, you can multiboot from the nfs share using flashwizard. Anybody interested, I can provide details.

Regards, pcd.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
PCD said:
Anybody interested, I can provide details.

I love details - the more the better.

If you can find the time.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
gameboy said:
I love details - the more the better.

If you can find the time.

Sure. Hope the following is of help.

Flashwizard Multiboot with DM5620

It is assumed Flashwizard Pro 5.0 (FWZ) has been installed on the pc. Next need to install a Nsf server. FWZ author Musicbob says the best nfs server for this pupose is Microsoft SFU which can be downloaded free. But it does not work with XP Home. Omni Nsf Server works with XP Home, which is what I have used for this test. The Howto instructions for Omni are attached. Those for SFU are here (I cannot attach, not enough space) :-

h**p://67.43.4.157/showthread.php?t=112084

TruGridNfs does not work for multiboot. It is wise to turn off any firewall, although I did the following test with Zonealarm on. No problem, provided you give the necessary permissions when asked.

(1) If TrueGridNfs is installed do the dos commands:-

cd c:\truegridnfs
nfs stop

If other servers are installed may need to stop them.

(2) With network connection and DB powered up, open Omni server. Select restart, select 'yes' to question. If the button is red (off line), keep repeating this step until it goes green.

(3) Open Flashwizard. Select configuration and fill in the connecting parameters. Close FWZ.

(4) With the image you want to use as the 'Flash image', i.e. the permanent (!) image on the 5620 and the lan connection and tv on, open FWZ and select 'MULTIBOOT'.

(5) Fill in pc export = your share folder (dreambox) and pc ip. Select 'Nfs server' tick. You should see on Flashimage (2.6.9) and 'free space xxx'.

(6) Do a drag and drop of the new image for nfs install, and keep the two ticks with 'smart settings' and 'set new image as default'. If all goes well after some time a 'Success' window will appear and the new image will be seen in the 'On multiboot' list.
If it does not, close FWZ and open again.

(7) Select 'Software restart'. The DB will reboot automatically and the new image will appear on tv screen. This takes a very long time like 5 minutes. At this point some see a boot menu, but my setup did not display. But still the new image was loaded.

I see 2 advantages for 5620s. First, any new image can be safely installed on the nfs before booting on the DB. Second, the var space available is enormous, so one can add emus etc without worry ! Disadvantage the pc has to be on to use the boot list in FWZ, and connected, and booting may take a long time.

Good luck ! Regards, pcd.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hey PCD, sounds interesting. I might give it a go sometime, but not in the next few days.
Anybody else manages to get it going please post your remarks.

I think it sounds like this should go into the guide, doesen't it?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It certainly does T_G, perhaps as a sticky in the 56** section as well. :)

costasd3

Dreambox Emu Tamer
Reaction score
If you have winXP with service pack 2 i think that the windows firewall should be off. I did not try multiboot on nfs with fwz but i could not get an nfs or cifs mount to work with the windows firewall on.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
PCD, hope you like your new Avatar. :D

People like yourself and many of the others who contribute to this forum really make the difference. It is not just the actual matter but also the manner which makes this forum such a f*****g good place to come to.

Keep up the good work all of you!!!

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
T_G said:
PCD, hope you like your new Avatar. :D

People like yourself and many of the others who contribute to this forum really make the difference. It is not just the actual matter but also the manner which makes this forum such a f*****g good place to come to.

Keep up the good work all of you!!!

Very pleased to be here, the mods and members are extremely helpful and friendly. I feel honoured to have the avatar, don't deserve it though !

Regards, pcd.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Coming back to the original thread matter: Did anyone else other than PCD tried the multiboot? If yes, please post report.

PCD, I got an interesting thing for you to to think about as you seem to know a lot about PC-Dreambox stuff: As you know it is possible to move the VAR onto the PC, the Gemini image makes it very easy. Do you think there is a way of leaving the VAR for most things like cams and keys in the Dreambox (for normal TV viewing without PC) but also have part of the VAR on the PC so that if one wants to play games or use a plugin one would switch on the PC? That would be really great, it would allow 5620 to use all sorts of plugins that are now not possible because of var space...
What do you think?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
@T_G.

It is quite easy. I have described the steps in a new thread as this one is about Flashwizard. Here - http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=42732

Regards, pcd.

albaniasat

Reaction score
Here are three tutorials taken from the flashwizard program on how to flash and backup an image,how to configure multiboot for dm7000 and how to configure flashwizard.

These tutorials are included also in the program which is self explaning by the way. :)

Bananaskin

Reaction score
T_G said:
Hey PCD, sounds interesting. I might give it a go sometime, but not in the next few days.
Anybody else manages to get it going please post your remarks.

I think it sounds like this should go into the guide, doesen't it?

Yeah I had it working on my 500-S using SFU and XP SP2, also on my MacMini using NFS Manager.

Works a treat, next going to cfg a CF or Pendrive as the host file system for the images.

pink2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
xp
My Location
iraq
hi i tried it with dream500 s

and i have this error message

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
pink2000 said:
hi i tried it with dream500 s

and i have this error message

What image you have in flash ? Perhaps Gemini 2.20 is not compatible. These work together - Gemini 1.04, 1.03, pi2, pli etc. Should try another image and see if it works. Regards.

pink2000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox
xp
My Location
iraq
well i have hydra phonex on my flash
i try a lot of images the same problem
i think it is a problem of writing to hard disk and it has nothing to do with the image on dreambox
i was successful in nfs and multiboot on my dream500 using sfu microsoft and i have the same problem that i manage by changing windows user to guest in the servies for unix that is present on the adminstrative tools , but here no such mapping present
another thing is why i am trying omni becuase i am not abling of editing files on my hard (images files) that i have installed by sfu microsoft and i tried with sp2 and without service pack >>>>>>>>>
so what do u think in both problems

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
I use Omni with Win XP Home. For some images I get this error but mostly ok. You could try by unticking the two boxes (settings etc) at bottom right. I assume you set up the Omni permissions as described. Also to see if it works, you could use another image in flash (say Gemini 1.04 in flash and gemini 1.03 in multiboot, I know it works). Regards.

Storm55

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mondeal 7500 + Dragon cam. 1M moveable dish
DB500s
My Location
Torbay, Devon
Hi I am a bit confused on how to @PASTE THIS COMMAND IN YOUR DB. TELNET. how and where? I hv a DB 500S where can I paste to?
(1 to 10 For Omni NFS Server) item 10.
thanks

Tim.

:-hijack

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Storm55 said:
Hi I am a bit confused on how to @PASTE THIS COMMAND IN YOUR DB. TELNET. how and where? I hv a DB 500S where can I paste to?
(1 to 10 For Omni NFS Server) item 10.
thanks

Tim.

Where is this sentence ? Does it have anything to do with this thread ?

In general, instead of telnet, use a ftp program (eg DCC) and go to the file and right click, select edit, and insert (paste) whatever. Regards, pcd.

cygol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HUMANCE
My Location
uk
i made my dreambox 500 multiboot very well with use NFS server and Microsoft SFU 3.5 .
its' great..........