Status
Not open for further replies.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

Although it's only at MkII beta at the moment, I'm using it OK here for normal USB multiboot.

BUT

If I understand Music Bob correctly you good folks with DM56xx's and DM500's now have a method of using multiboot (which must be good!).

However it will be necessary to set up a PC with NFS software. If you look at MB's info on sjerom you'll see what's needed.

Thanks MB, great job.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
any idea how to get multiboot working from hd, says i need an nfs share?

but i'm not familiar with nfs?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi homer,

Which dreambox do you have?
Are you trying the new FlashWizard NFS beta MkII?

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs

i know i cant use hdd or usb obviously so was hoping to boot using NFS from my pc, but i aint sure how to to it.

I check the NFS enable box, which says "input name of the shared directory and computer IP", which i have done but still says "not found"

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
What operasting system are you using on your computer? NTFS is used on Win NT & XP. Its not used on Win 95/8 by default. I think you can convert the file structure to NTFS on win 98, (but make sure all your important data is backed up first just in case!)

jloos2

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 5620s (hydra image) connected to my PC (XP pro SP2) and thought I'd try this multiboot stuff. I have limited computer skills, no unix knowledge but I thought I'd try. This is as far as I have got.

1. I downloaded Services for Unix v.3.5 (~220mb) from the microsoft site, clicked all NFS sharing options and installed it, then made a directory NFS shared.

2. Installed the new Flashwizard (FW) beta II, put my IP in the PC IP box, my NFS shared folder in the PC export box (homerjay - because of spaces in the location I put quotes " " around the location so location is recognised). FW now recognises the NFS directory.

Now the problem, I can't install images to the multiboot on NFS. I drag an image to the "install image area". FW asks whether to install on NFS, ok then it starts to install and promptly closes with a "553 could not create file" error.

What (obvious) step am I missing? Any advice will be gratefully received.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
ah right i need services for unix, cheers guys i do that...

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
ive installed services for unix, now wat?

i put "c:\sfu\" in the box and my pc's ip but now its stuck on autodetect?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi All,

Although I started this post (it's great to have you 5 series chaps able to multiboot), It's not something I know much about. I was going to get the NFS software recommended by Music Bob and play, so I could advise people. However I ran into a couple of problems.
First the free NFS server on the Microsoft site will only work with XP Pro and I have XP Home.
Second the other software, MB's second choice, quotes a price of $99 to USA customers or register on their site to get a price for anywhere else in the world. Even $99 is expensive for something I don't really need as I have a 7000.

Now, to your problem jloos, error 553. I am sure I have heard other people quote this as a permissions problem. Although you have shared the NFS folder have you given the folder both read and write access when shared? It could be you have given read access only.

And homerjay, are you using XP Pro?

73 & good luck.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
yea im on xp pro, buts it just stuck on this screen saying autodetect, what am i doin wrong?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi homerjay,

Can't really help except to post what MB says about getting it to work!
So here is the word of Music Bob:-
-------------------------------------------
What is required - please read carefully - :

for NFS install, a NFS server is required running on a remote PC.

I tried many NFS servers for Win XP, and found Microsoft's "Services for Unix v.3.5" the best and stable choice ever, and also it's free software, it is possible to download it from Microsoft's home site (approx 220 Mbytes).

DON'T EVEN THINK (I repeat: don't even think!!) to manage it working on crap NFS servers, like "TrueGrid" or similars... they DO NOT absolutely work, because they DON'T support unix attributes and/or symlinks and other unix filesystem specifics.

I found also the "Omni NFS Server v.4.2" working good... but Microsoft's SFU is much more stable.
Please note that MS SFU does not install on Windows XP HOME editions (only XP PRO is supported).
The "Omni Nfs Server" installs also on XP HOME.

=========================

Installing and configuring a NFS server is the hard part of the job, if you never did it before.....
Before install, make SURE to have all permissions on your Windows PC, always install the nfs server as Administrator, to gain full access on files and folders.

There are some docs on how-to install MS SFU on Windows machines... try to search them with google...

After server install, define a shared directory on nfs (it's called an exported directory), and write its name on FlashWizard's "PC export" input field (on Multiboot window), plus write your PC IP address on "Pc IP" text input.
That's enough, FlashWizard will automatically manage the rest.

I tested many images on NFS, installed on my XP PRO windows PC, all the latest are perfectly working (DBF, Gemini, Hydra, Triple xXx, ruDream, SF Team, etc. etc.).
I used original beta 108.2 from DMM in flash.

I found some problems with the monster-backupped images (like DVB-ER, and similar)... but no problems with standard sized backupped images... it seems like a file limit on the nfs server side.

But all the standard installed images (*.img) are working perfectly on windows nfs server.
---------------------------

Hope this is of some help.

73 & good luck.

jloos2

Reaction score
td03-5

Thanks, I checked the permissions and they were read only, they are now read-write. I also checked and altered any other permissions in the directory tree but still the 553 error. Must be something in addition to the permissions

regards

jloos

chuckles

Reaction score
hate to disagree with one of the above posts, but truegridnfs is woking fine for me on XPpro. I've just installed flaswizard pro nfs and it sees usb, HD and nfs share no problem.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi chuckles,

Although it's in my post they are the words of Music Bob the author of FlashWizard!!

However if it works for you, what more do you need.

73 & happy multibooting.

davvamak

Dreamer
Reaction score
Website
www.fakeplastic.8m.com
My Location
liverpool
fwpro nfs beta MkII is'nt working with 500's and 56xx series dreambox's, musicbob is still putting the finishing touches to the full release with it working, i've helped in testing it, and have it sucessfully running on my dm-500S.
*homerjay take the quotes out, check out my pics and see the nfs share name and the name in fwpro are the same, also get rid of the c:/ part aswell, its not nessecery. it makes up the name from the ip address and the share name eg. mine is 10.0.0.7/dreambox. because its a network share not a local one.

dave mak :)

chuckles

Reaction score
davvamak said:
fwpro nfs beta MkII is'nt working with 500's and 56xx series dreambox's, musicbob is still putting the finishing touches to the full release with it working, i've helped in testing it, and have it sucessfully running on my dm-500S.
*homerjay take the quotes out, check out my pics and see the nfs share name and the name in fwpro are the same, also get rid of the c:/ part aswell, its not nessecery. it makes up the name from the ip address and the share name eg. mine is 10.0.0.7/dreambox. because its a network share not a local one.

Been looking at your pics and wondering how you get "virtual drive K" to show on explorer?

tux233

Reaction score
davvamak said:

Can anything be done to the existing beta version for it to work?
I have configured NFS and am able to install the images but my 5620 will not boot with the NFS images.

davvamak

Dreamer
Reaction score
Website
www.fakeplastic.8m.com
My Location
liverpool
tux233 said:
Can anything be done to the existing beta version for it to work?
I have configured NFS and am able to install the images but my 5620 will not boot with the NFS images.
i have a patched fwpro.go file MB made that allows it to work with 500's and 56xx, but sorry i cant post it . 4.6 will be released very soon ;)

Been looking at your pics and wondering how you get "virtual drive K" to show on explorer?

its part of clone cd. but games have been kicking up a bit of a fuss cos i have it installed, try "DAEMON TOOLS" that does the same thing and shows the virtual drive in explorer.

dave mak

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I have a silly question: As I never had a 7000, what is the advantage of having multiboots? What can you do with it that you can't do before?

davvamak

Dreamer
Reaction score
Website
www.fakeplastic.8m.com
My Location
liverpool
T_G said:
I have a silly question: As I never had a 7000, what is the advantage of having multiboots? What can you do with it that you can't do before?

having a multiboot setup gives you more control, like when the hydra control panel went tits up, you could just boot to another image and use that instead of having to reflash the box again, but the BIG feature is your /var folder is now huge and is only limited by how big the pc's hard drive is. i have 3 images in flash and they all have every plugin,cam and k*ys available, just because i can O-Ha . this makes a budget 500-S perform like a 7000.

dave mak :-righton

Status
Not open for further replies.