Flood crisis

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hi, I am just watching sky news, I feel for the people caught up in this, and I can see it been months until things are back to normal,

They was building a flood defence a short while ago from wood chipping's, surely they will just wash away :-doh?.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi, I am just watching sky news, I feel for the people caught up in this, and I can see it been months until things are back to normal,

They was building a flood defence a short while ago from wood chipping's, surely they will just wash away :-doh?.
To me it seems a clear cut case of stable doors and bolting horses..but you can't blame those affected trying _anything_ with materials to hand ..
Dry wood chip will absorb water and expand so if used under a confining barrier layer such as soil piled heavily on top ..it would expand and become heavier..and may go some way to slow water ingress ..

I wish 'em luck..
If it were me ..I'd try anything as well.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Well i guess I would try anything within reason, but wood chippings would be the last thing I would use, it will just float away and make more of a clean up operation when it clears,

Looks like the Gurkhas have more of an idea sand bags:),

DSCN5571.JPG

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford

They are not building a "flood defence" from the wood chippings - it is being used on a soil footpath (the only way between two halves of the village) to stop it it turning muddy and slippery and people slipping into the river precisely because it will soak up some of the water.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
And be kind to the environment....:-bighappy

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I see the bloody publicity seeking politicians have been out in force today. Did ANY of them do anything useful instead of just getting in the way?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I see the bloody publicity seeking politicians have been out in force today. Did ANY of them do anything useful instead of just getting in the way?

Well unfortunately, whatever they do people will slate them, damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Well unfortunately, whatever they do people will slate them, damned if they do and damned if they don't.
They deserve to be slated ..for ignoring previous requests and warnings from previous years ..
The writing has been on the wall for some time ..
I myself posted some years ago ..these sort of weather events were here to stay and would become worse and more frequent..
I'm not a weather scientist nor a politician ..
No axe to grind and no vested interest ..
But even a numpty like me could see it coming..

They are supposed to me smart ...they are supposed to be invested in public welfare and infrastructure...
They have had warnings and have witnessed what I have witnessed ...and done sod all..
To much 'I'm allright jack 'mentality imo..
nuff said before I get blacklisted..
;)

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
I did notice how things got really moving once the Thames was going to flood threatening parts of Berkshire and London......Once it was on their doorstep of conservative voters something just had to be done.Thats me done:mad:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I did notice how things got really moving once the Thames was going to flood threatening parts of Berkshire and London......Once it was on their doorstep of conservative voters something just had to be done.Thats me done:mad:
My point exactly..
Nuff said

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
My sister lives in Worcester, and she's been seeing the flooding in person, especially as she uses the bridge they've shown on TV being closed to traffic (though she walks over it to get to work), but she's been smart and has a house well above where any water could get to, so isn't directly affected by the flooding... :)

But it just goes to show, if you're going to live at or below the level of a calm river, expect to be flooded in extreme weather, especially when politics dictates that flood defence is not as important as looking good on camera... :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The next major emergency will be the proliferation of pot-holes in the road and the compo claims to the councils for damage to alloy wheels , mark my words.

Once they start clearing out the drains ( all work stopped in 1997/8 round here) they will discover where all the aggregate has gone.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
The next major emergency will be the proliferation of pot-holes in the road and the compo claims to the councils for damage to alloy wheels , mark my words.

Once they start clearing out the drains ( all work stopped in 1997/8 round here) they will discover where all the aggregate has gone.
'spect you may well be right CH ..
btw ..your sat card was posted today..
rgds
VS

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Here in Sheffield we had floods a few years ago in the city centre, not a patch on what's happening down south, All rivers was dredged and flood defences was put in place, so far so good:)

I really feel for the people caught up with this, and I hope its resolved asap, but to be honest its going to be months/years before things get back to normal:(,

Fortunately I life on high ground, if it floods where I live we all have got problems.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Here in Sheffield we had floods a few years ago in the city centre, not a patch on what's happening down south, All rivers was dredged and flood defences was put in place, so far so good:)

I really feel for the people caught up with this, and I hope its resolved asap, but to be honest its going to be months/years before things get back to normal:(,

Fortunately I life on high ground, if it floods where I live we all have got problems.
Nice lookin' lido you got there Martin ...
Shame the about the helicopters ..spoiling the vista..
;)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Nice lookin' lido you got there Martin ...
Shame the about the helicopters ..spoiling the vista..
;)
I am sure meadowhall paid for there own flood defences, recently they was trying to get companies to pay out of there own pocket to put some more in place in certain areas, I am unsure of the outcome of this.

At that time VS, I lived about half a mile away from the city, then again we was on high ground,

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Great footage CH, I love his last words :-doh.

bim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax foxsat Thomson Tsr200 Pace 3100 Black pro quad dvbs2 80 and 100cm dishes
My Location
croatia Lat 45.3301 Lon 14.1822
What is the point of having a environmental agency, isn't that what it is there for to fore see problems and to work to prevent them. A lot of money for nothing if you ask me. We have also been watching sky news and our hearts go out to those people, not only for now but also what they will have to endure after ie insurance companies. Unless they have a good summer no work can be carried out on there houses until they are dry - months then all plaster hacking off, new electrics etc etc.