• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Football on Hotbird

My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
North London
Hi - Can anyone help a novice at this? I have a fixed dish that picks up Hotbird, I received ART last season. Is there any premiership footie shown on hotbird now or must I get someone in to realign my dish to another satellite? If so, which one should I get? Or am I better with motorised or is that too expensive? Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
Motorising isn't expensive and if you are prepared to have a go, we can coach you through the installation. :)

Robbo

Super Moderator
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, agreed, motorising is not expensive at all, if you set it up yourself.
You can can easily pick up a diseqc motor for less than £50.

My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
North London
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will have a go maybe. What should I look for in a meter? Should I get one that identifies the satellites etc? I am very nervous that I will not get it right.
And should I just use my existing dish or do I need a new one?
Thanks

Robbo

Super Moderator
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The trouble is, the football is not all on one satellite.
Not into football myself, but DigitalB supersports I think its called, seems to be mentioned a lot. Check out the other threads in this section.

DigitalB is on 16E and depending on UK location needs an 80-100cm dish.

I have also seen English football on Premiere Sports Portal 19.2E
and some football on D+ 19.2 E. (patched receiver), I know nothing about football, so I couldnt tell you what quality the games were.

To re-align the dish on a budget, a cheap "satellite finder" can be used,
I prefer the needle type, others prefer the beepers. These are <£10

You can also use the receiver's signal meter, which will enable you to work out which sat you are on.

and yes, there are professional meters too, but they are a lot more costly, but not normally necessary for a one off re-alignment.

If you carefully mark the dishes position on the bracketry (indelible pen), if you muck up the re-alignment, it should be easy to get it back.

To go from Hotbird 13E to 16E, you would need to rotate the dish by a very small amount to the left (from behind dish)
and down by an even smaller amount, as those sats are right next to each other with nothing in between.