BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Right then m8ty.

Firstly, I've got to say that this is a can of worms. The WRT54G, whilst being a nice piece of kit, is basically a Wireless Access Point, a 4-port switch and a router in one. People tend to buy them when they have cable. This is because they have a seperate cable modem, and they can plug it into the WRT54G.

Folks who get broadband down the phone line tend to buy something similar to the above, but with a modem built in as well. The Linksys equivalent of this is the WAG54G. Essentially the same as the WRT54G, but with the correct modem built in.

Based on that, many of the modems that you can get which would fit the WRT54G are in fact cable modems. Poo.

I did find a few (but don't have endless time to check each one out) that appear to be phone-line ADSL modems.

Zoom X3 (but this has a router built in as well - so not really suitable)

ADSLNation X-modem (This says that it will work with PPPoA, which is the standard in the UK, but the standard in the RoI is PPPoE - PPP over Ethernet so I'm not sure if it's any good). It's also been reported that it doesn't work well with wireless routers in several forums I've visited, although a router firmware upgrade can fix it.

Lastly, I found the D-Link DSL-300T ADSL modem, which appears to be the ticket, and states that it supports PPP over Ethernet. This sounds like the best one to go for if you go down this route.

I have to say though m8, that I'm not sure that persisting with the WRT54G is nesseccarily the best way to go. Based on all the confusion and hassle that I had doing this research, it might be easier to just sell the WRT54G and buy a cheap 4-port 10/100 Ethernet hub and plug your (working) Creative modem/router into that, and then add a Linksys WAP54G standalone wireless access point. This is close to the setup I have, and I find it very flexible. Also very easy to set up!

Finally, you could go for option 3 which is to sell the WRT54G and return the Creative modem, then buy a box with everything built in. This is what most people in your situation would do, and it's probably the simplest if you were starting with nothing. The Linksys WAG54G would do this.

I have read one poor review of this product, and it got slated, but I did find this very comprehensive review which gave it a fairly clean bill of health :-

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q4/linksys-wag-54g.asp

There are several other good alternatives to this box.

Anyway, I hope that's been of some use, but I'm all out of time now.

Red, blue or green. the choice is yours!

Keep me up to date though with which way you resolve this.

STICK

:-cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Oooh, while I remember, I found this info on your ISP website FAQ.

Might come in handy...

Q. I'm providing my own ADSL router/modem, what are the settings I need to use?

A. We will provide you with your ClickSilver username (eg. cs12345*adsl.utvinternet.ie) and password in your welcome letter/e-mail. Use the below settings as required:

Driver: PPPoE
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Set up type: LLC

In the UK, the standard is PPPoA, in RoI the standard is PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).

STICK

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
Oooh, while I remember, I found this info on your ISP website FAQ.

Might come in handy...

Q. I'm providing my own ADSL router/modem, what are the settings I need to use?

A. We will provide you with your ClickSilver username (eg. cs12345*adsl.utvinternet.ie) and password in your welcome letter/e-mail. Use the below settings as required:

Driver: PPPoE
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Set up type: LLC

In the UK, the standard is PPPoA, in RoI the standard is PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).

STICK

Many thanks for all the help.
When i bought the wrt54g i thought it had a modem installed. But when i got it home i realised one had to be installed. Thought it would be straight forward when i got the ethernet modem. I think your right I will try to fob it back to pc world saying it wont work because i wrote on the box. And i will get the one with the modem installed. Read the thread on the other one and it seems to be the one i should get. A lot more info in it on how to set it up. The settings above is what i put in, know them off by heart now. God when i eventually get this up and running I think i will be an expert in Linskys wireless. Anyway I will have a couple of pints for you on wed night. Ahh 2-0 I would say to us. Will keep you posted.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
NP :D

I'd settle for the 1-0, but I wouldn't complain if we got back into the habit of winning 4-0, then we can all sing that luverly song again... :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Well i brought back the linskys router and told them it was clashing with my other modem and that i wanted to exchange it for one that had an adsl modem built in. It only cost an extra €10 so was chuffed as i only bought the 1st one for €99 and they allowed me €139. Got the one WAG54G think its the same as yours. Went into the menu and put in user & password settings, Then the VAI & VCI settings clicked save and exit. Restarted laptop and connected to internet via the ethernet port. Excellent i said. Disconnected ethernet lead from laptop and switched on wireless button on laptop and was able to connect to internet within 5 sec. Hard wired ethernet lead to dreambox and mad sure all settings were right in communications window and saved. Entered 192.168.1.24 on my brouser and was into the gemeni page. Just reset all ips on Dreambox connections. Everything successful. Doing exactly what i wanted. Great piece of equipment. Now to get rid of all those cables around tv. Thanks Stick for all your time. Just to connect the upstairs computer to the wireless usb network adapter. Dont think I will have a problem there though.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Well this is me again on upstairs computer via the wireless adapter, noticed that it has only 1.1 usb qualitys so only half the speed. Will have to get new usb interface for 2.0 so can get full speed out of the wireless adapter. But at least its working. Off back out to work again before she gets in.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Congrats m8.

Pleased you got it all sorted.

Not sure that your USB 2.0 card will double your speed. The maximum theoretical throughput figure for USB 1.1 is 12Mbps, but the 54G link is only a theoretical rating as well. Although it's supposed to run at 54Mbps mine gives a real-world throughput of about 14Mbps, or about 1.75 MB/sec.

That's not particularly slow figure either, based on what I've read.

Still, don't want to p!ss on your parade on the day of your victory in the battle of man against the infuriating wireless technology!

STICK

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
Congrats m8.

Pleased you got it all sorted.

Not sure that your USB 2.0 card will double your speed. The maximum theoretical throughput figure for USB 1.1 is 12Mbps, but the 54G link is only a theoretical rating as well. Although it's supposed to run at 54Mbps mine gives a real-world throughput of about 14Mbps, or about 1.75 MB/sec.

That's not particularly slow figure either, based on what I've read.

Still, don't want to p!ss on your parade on the day of your victory in the battle of man against the infuriating wireless technology!

STICK

Will leave it so, only use the upstairs one myself for the serial port when using the CAS2.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
The yanks have a saying when talking about car engines, it goes something like "there's no substitute for cubic inches". On a similar idea wireless is ok but there is no substitute for a hard wired network. Much more reliable in my opinion. No problems with the guy next door using the same channel which can slow down your network ( there may be 11 channels to pick from but only 3 of them are non overlapping ).

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BonceChops said:
"there's no substitute for cubic inches".

Freaky, I nearly used that expression in another thread this evening relating to dish sizes....

Agree with you totally about wireless. If you can cat5 it, do it.

You've always gotta use the right tool for the job. Fast Ethernet (10/100) is a really 'good value' technology. Pretty fast, and dirt cheap.

The cable run to my Dreambox is not nice at all, plus I can expand my 54g network to a cheap notebook in the near future. The defence rests. :-ohmy