For the last time - Astra 2D in Berlin

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
Something i forgot to mention..

The Prodelin guy mentioned that customers often have their own NPMs' made up (either by themselves or at a iron works). That might be cheaper. One can get a spec. off the TPG site.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BIGDISH said:
Note that the SRM mounts are flagged as not suitable for the 1186, perhaps the bigger 10' by 10' stand is sufficient for the 1186?

From what I can gather there is no problem with this mount and the 1186, however care should be taken when aligning the mount base with the centre arc of the polarmount, presumably to prevent the motor or the reflector from fouling the support bars on the post

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
CH you're in the know. I'm having a hard time getting a response on this from the Prodelin reps. I got a quote with the following description but the guy doesn't seem to know what 'Dual Pol' means exactly:

Part #: 1183-035

Description: 1.8 M KU-BAND ANTENNA
* Rx only

* Az/El​
* Canister Style​
* Dual Pol feed​
I told him that I want to use an Invacom TWF-031. I think Dual isn't necessary for a single Ku-band LNB fixed on one azimuth and a single pol would be the right thing, but will this do the job or will it degrade the signal and is it what Prodelin call a WC75 or what?​
Thanks​

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
BIGDISH said:
CH you're in the know. I'm having a hard time getting a response on this from the Prodelin reps. I got a quote with the following description but the guy doesn't seem to know what 'Dual Pol' means exactly:]

Dual pol means the equipment has been supplied with a feed that allows connection of two independent polarity LNBs of WR75 flange, not really ideal for modern systems, but then Prodelin do have trouble moving with the times.

BIGDISH said:
I told him that I want to use an Invacom TWF-031. I think Dual isn't necessary for a single Ku-band LNB fixed on one azimuth and a single pol would be the right thing, but will this do the job or will it degrade the signal and is it what Prodelin call a WC75 or what

You actually need to order 1183-065 (or the polarmount version 1186-065) which has the C 120 flange version of the same feed. WC75 is as you have said the US speak of C120.

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
Ah.. it's starting to make sense, thanks.

Is 065 single pol then?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
-065 (I assume ) would be a feed with an eight hole flange, able to fit a universal LNB , OR, a dual pol OMT, OR, a WR75 adapter for use with a single WR75 LNB

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
I see.., but tell me is that feed oficially speced for 10.7 GHz up (since the operating range of the dish is 10.95 to 12.75) ?

and - i'm a pest i know -

Couldn't I just remove the dual pol fitting from the back of the feed horn (on the 1183-035) and plug the Invacom there?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The rating of the antenna is 10.95 and up, but only as the performance curve is tested between these figures. There is reception below 10.7, but the curve may not be linear. I wouldnt worry

As for the removal of the OMT for reception using a C120 LNB, it would be fine if this was how the feed is built, however there is the possibility its actually a single one piece casting, as is done with some of the (larger ) Prodelin receive only antennas. Is it a risk worth taking ?

(Happy birthday by the way BD)

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
LOL, thanks for the good wish... and i think the kids have something planned for when i get home this evening, cake, candles, etc.

No, It's probably not worth it but these Prodelin distributors in Germany don't seem to know what they're selling, plus they go by what's in the next container load. Thought it might save time to take what he was offering if it was easily adaptable.

Anyway, it's good to have that part number you gave earlier so I'll work off that and see if they can get it.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah the problem of sales people, sell what you have , or what you can make money on

Prodelin US will send over a specific part or even a front end designed to alter the complete dish you your requirement.

If you quote a part number, the German lot should be able to work out a price of the upgrade. Buying the actual feed with C120 flange should not be a problem anyway, but it is going to have to come from the US. It may be cheaper to contemplate machining out the one that comes with the dish

BIGDISH

Reaction score
My Location
Vienna, Austria
grasshopper, I'm gonna give up on that .DE dude. Found a co in the states that are wiln to talk to me with tres sensible price (s**comr**ources). Havin the part # and that wc stuff as backup is v helpful. Funny thing, when I mailed tpg for a quote yesterday they reefered me back to germany. I wish someone had given me a Supral dish for my birthday.

Is that green stuff flammable?

R

roti01

Please, please let me know where I can get one of these (Northern Germany in particular or delivery to Sweden) - have heard that they cost at least €1000 in Scandinavia...............

Best rgds,

Astra 2d seeker......

BBC-IN-BERLIN

Reaction score
My wife and I were hoping to set up a dish to receive the BBC in Berlin and having been given various answers from satellite shops and sites as to what size dish we needed I was relieved to finally find an informative thread on the subject. I have to admit, however, that the technicality of it all is somewhat daunting and I would therefore be extremely grateful for a quick summary of what the end result of your respective searches was. That is to say what dish, mount and LNB you ended up with and, if possible, where you bought them from? Finally I would also be curious to know what receiver you use, but maybe that is a whole other can of worms? :)