Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Anyone know the frequency of the forced download?

Is it just on the default frequency which is on the North beam?

The new "House Cards" need the latest software version to activate, but seems to be problems forcing a download on the South Beam.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting point Zansi, as the receiver will not even see the new card if it is still operating under old software (as per my experience in France). It'll be interesting to see if anyone knows the answer to this.

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
hi,

cards will activate on software versions 3.0.11 and above, downloads occour on frequency 11.778 V / 27.5 and FEC 2/3 as this is the first and default frequency the stb search's for upon setup, card swap out's as far as i know was due to a security issue which no further comments were made on:)

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
software downloads occour at different stages depending on box make and usualy amstrad always seem to be the first with new versions as most box's are on version 3.1a.5 amstrad are on 3.1a.6.

a while back s_y was testing area's of the software which caused faults on some customers cards, the fault being that when a callback was tried it would'nt ring out and a messege from bt could be heard on the phone at the same time the stb was attempting to call home, the message stating ( the network is busy) this was only rectified by calling sky's technical line ) as the digibox would not stop using the phone line! the new cards can hold more data as i am told. and s-y are to launch a new service to encourage customers to use the phone line, according to a memo recieved today!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So what you're saying Froggs is that those out of area subscribers who may have difficulty receiving the 11.778 signal may well have to send their receiver into a reception area to update their software.

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
as far as i know , i can find out for sure from technical, there was suposed to be a backup transponder in case the default was down.:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Be great if you could Froggs, there'll be a lot of very concerned people come delivery of the new cards. ;)

theblob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hp Pavilion media center dual core pc dreambox dm70025+
My Location
Leicester/UK
to force a software update do the following m8's
remove mains connection wait for 60 seconds, while holding in the backup button on the receiver reconnect the mains and keep depressed the backup button it will take about 10 seconds then you will see a message on screen confiming updating system software, and also all the leds on the receiver should light up.
It Takes about 10 mins to complete.:D :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately theblob, if a receiver can't see the default north beam transponder, there is nothing to download, hence the question about whether the download is on an alternative transponder.

In most case the receiver will have received the downloads automatically, but not the case at the extremes of, or outside the footprint.

froggs

Reaction score
Website
www.froggsltd.com
My Location
Rotherham
hi rolf
I have been talking to the guys down a S*y technical and they say that all software is downloaded on default transponder 4 - 11.778 V / 27.5 and FEC 2/3 along with the EPG and background Audio. Hope this Helps.

P.S,

All S*Y installers are told to align dish's using transponder 4 to gain the highest possible reading as interference can be pickup from arabsat and hotbird, especially with twin LNB's.

Andy:)

zansi

Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
If this is the case, several thousand viewers using only the South Beam are going to have big problems.

If the new software is only on the default North Beam transponder, the new cards will not work if the version is earlier than 3.1:confused

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What's the minimum size dish required to receive 2A Zansi, I'm assuming that it is receivable down there, just not as well.

@ Froggs, Thanks for the clarification.

PS, May have to start a forced update service for Ex-pats in Southern Spain, perhaps a container lorry once a week to the South of France and I'll charge a tenner a throw, carriage at customer's cost. :)

zansi

Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West UK
I have a 1.3m in Albufeira, Get North Beam & 2D 95% of time OK.

The problem is for my friends in Gran Canaria & Tenerife who need 2.8m + to resolve North Beam

Dan Dan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
19/26/28 1m
My Location
tenerife
REGARDING THE NEW 'PLAYHOUSE CARDS',IF THEY ARE PUT IN A M/C WITH A SOFTWARE VERSION LESS THE 3.1.5,THEY COME UP WITH A MESSAGE ON THE SCREEN,'THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR CARD,AND WHEN THE DETAILS ARE CHECKED IT SAYS 'NO CARD' I LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE THE NORTH BEAM IS NOT AVALIBLE SO NEITHER IS 11.778 V....WE HAVE TO USE ANOTHER TRANS AS DEFAULT,AND THAT IS NO GOOD FOR FORCED DOWNLOAD.HOWEVER I HAVE JUST DOWNLOADED 3.1.5 VIA NORMAL UPDATES ON GRUNDIG M/C,S BUT CANNOT GET IT TO WORK ON PACES AT THE MOMENT.MY ADVICE IS TO PUT ANY REC ON AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO GET A DOWNLOAD,EVEN IF WAITING FOR A CARD FROM THE UK...