Forced to replace dish??? :(

jmf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 + Triax Dish
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I am new to this forum and I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

The thing is, I have been asked by the council to remove the dish as it brakes the planning regulations (Welwyn Hatfield Council).

Its partially my fault because I got an 88cm Triax dish without realising that it actually is bigger then that. I actually measured with a tape measure before complaining with the council. So it is actually larger then the 90cm limit.

Anyway, since in these cases size appears to matter and reception quality with the current setup is not always good, going to a smaller dish may mean even worst results. Is there any dish you particularly recomend which is smaller then 90cm and may perform similarly or even better then my existing triax 88cm?

I assume I can also improve the signal by using a better quality LNB. Any suggestions?

Finally, I would like to say that council employees involved in the planning process should probably be more aware of the fact that the satellite dishes cannot be installed inside the shed away from everybody's sight. It actually needs to "see" the satellites so it almost always need to be installed in a wall facing south.

Thanks

jmf

reload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D + card reader/ ART Sports/ 3x Zone2 Minidish/ Lidl 80cm/ Channel Master 90cm.
My Location
north east
I think you are allowed up to a 1m dish now...

jmf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi,
Thanks for you replies. I had already found that information and have written to them asking what is the council's position about this. If I have an answer I will let you guys know!
Cheers
jmf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Cut the top off the dish, rivet it back on when the regulations are upgraded

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Channel Hopper said:
Cut the top off the dish, rivet it back on when the regulations are upgraded

LOL mate thats funny :D

You could put the dish on the ground.. ?? you might get away with it and then put it back when the rules change.. leave brackets up etc and just slap it back up :D

The councilors are too far up each others arse.. i would seriously look at who your neigbours are as most problerly one of them would of complained..

Its as if the council give tax rebates to people who grass over each other LOL

jmf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi

It is amazing that council workers are wasting their time with such minor issues. This is where our council tax goes.

The guy even had a picture of my setup. That is sad.

Anyway, lets wait to hear what's their position on the new regulations. I didn't want to spend money on another dish if mine is ok.

Go figure.... :confused

jmf

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They really can't do anything now and you really need to consider painting your dish bright yellow with a big smilie face on it. :) Plus you need to now think about putting up a second dish of under 60cm so as to fully use up your dish allocation. :).

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
jmf said:
Hi,

The thing is, I have been asked by the council to remove the dish as it brakes the planning regulations (Welwyn Hatfield Council).
Thanks

jmf
:( I'm having trouble with the neighbours and the council over an extension . I was going to put mine on the south wall above the flat roof in the back garden. As it will be a 1.2 I have now decided to fit it on the pation down the garden. May not get such a good signal and if they complain I will put a shed around it with the end missing. Then paint it bright yellow. :D

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
You should get the same signal on the ground as you do on the wall :S

Feck the council.. do as you wish .,.. and i would personaly fit a 60cm dish next to your big one.. and take a picy and send it to the council :D

J

Jeff_19341

Cut the bottom off of the dish, that way it should not alter your reception quite as much. Then, as rolfw says, paint it yellow with a smillie face on it. Sorry I cannot show my smillie dish as I no longer can post attachments. See my next post, rolfw has sorted the problem out.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can't use a forum function, then you need to post in the suggestions and feedback section, or PM me JuMbuCk, then I can do something about it, it is only because I happened to read your post that I found out you still have a problem. Have increased the limit for your usergroup, so you should be able to post attachments again.

J

Jeff_19341

Thanks for that rolfw. Below is the 85cm smillie dish that is now put away and the 1m now in use. I will have to get the paint brushes/sprays out in the spring. Nice and sunny now but too cold and damp.
Cheers

Cheekykid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wave Frontier T90
Dreambox 7020S-Gemini 4.10
8 lnb's
My Location
London
I bought a Triax 1.1 recently and i doubt that my neighbours would ever complain about it.They know better:D

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
LOL Believe it or not.. i had a complaint aswell today rofl..

Exact words

"wheres you ariel gone? I dont know why you had that stupid big thing anyway, it was in the way and looked a eye sore"

So i said its still up.. i'm using new technology which makes them invisable..

Little do they know its still up and running.. but not so they can see..god i must take piccys of this to show you lot :D

I might even look for the noisiest motor going so they hear when im moving around the sky :D

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
jmf said:
Its partially my fault because I got an 88cm Triax dish without realising that it actually is bigger then that. I actually measured with a tape measure before complaining with the council. So it is actually larger then the 90cm limit.

jmf, thanks to your query I have checked this out - see http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=52462

The council is *wrong* and your 88cm dish is legal.

The ruling is:

"Size of Dish
Reference to the size of a dish means the measurement across any dimension of the antenna, excluding any projecting feed element, the reinforcing rim and supporting brackets"

So your antenna is 88cm regardless what the overall diameter of the dish is.