foreign channels

smac

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
Visit site
Hi, I am completely new to satellite TV.
I live in London.
I am not interested in most channels offered, say, by Sky.
I would simply like to get the main national channels from Italy, France and Germany (and the UK):
RAI 1,2,3...
ARD, ZDF...
TF1, Arte, TV5...
BBC World Service...
(at most, 30 channels - but I would be happy with as few as 15 channels)

I see (checking on the internet) that most of these channels are on Hotbird 2, Hotbird 6, Astra 2D.

How little can I spend to get a reliable system?
What receiver should I consider?
What dish? (do I need a 80cm dish? I've been told that with a 60cm one I wouldn't get a signal if it rained or was windy)
Are there stores in London where I could go and get advice?

Having never seen/used a satellite TV, should I get someone to install it, or is it extremely simple?

Thanks for any help!

SMAC
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Joined
May 1, 1999
Messages
38,022
Reaction score
1,427
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are looking at free to air channels, there are still a huge amount available as analogue on Astra 19.2E, Hotbird 13E and 5W for French national channels. A lot of the national channels are encrypted on their digital platforms.

There are quite inexpensive Digital/Analogue receivers available and if you combined one with a DiseqC motor and an 80cm dish, you should get most of what you are looking for.

Go HERE for details of what and where in each language.
 

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
31,044
Reaction score
7,024
Points
113
Age
56
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The average cost of a fixed setup on the two most popular satellites (Astra 1 and Eutelsat 13 East) with a digital receiver would give you approximately 300 free to air channels from all countries, for less than the cost of a single years subscription to BSkyB
 

smac

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
If you are looking at free to air channels, there are still a huge amount available as analogue on Astra 19.2E, Hotbird 13E and 5W for French national channels. A lot of the national channels are encrypted on their digital platforms.

There are quite inexpensive Digital/Analogue receivers available and if you combined one with a DiseqC motor and an 80cm dish, you should get most of what you are looking for.

Go HERE for details of what and where in each language.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

But isn't it true (as I have been told) that next year no channels will be available any more as analogue? Then wouldn't I have to buy a new receiver?

And 'encrypted' - what does it mean? That I have to pay to receive it? It would then be extremely expensive to pay for 15-30 different channels, wouldn't it?
 

smac

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
Visit site
Channel Hopper said:
The average cost of a fixed setup on the two most popular satellites (Astra 1 and Eutelsat 13 East) with a digital receiver would give you approximately 300 free to air channels from all countries, for less than the cost of a single years subscription to BSkyB

But if (as rolfw says) many of the national channels are encrypted, and if (as I guess) that means that I have to pay for each of the encrypted channels, then wouldn't if get very expensive?

Is DIGITALER Digital 1000 a good digital receiver? (was suggested to me in a store). Apparently it is a new German make.
 

cjgall

Regular Member
Joined
May 19, 2003
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
63
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Joined
May 1, 1999
Messages
38,022
Reaction score
1,427
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't heard of the receiver you mention, so can't offer any information on it. Whilst it is true that many of the National channels are encrypted for the digital platform, there are still many free to air channels.

There are rumours of the French analogue channels disappearing, but I can see them being around for quite some time yet, as with the German and Austrian channels.

If you buy a combined Digital and Analogue receiver as I suggest, you will not be caught out if the analogue channels stop transmitting.

I would also point you again to This page on Lyngsat , click on each language in turn and you will see everything that is offered free to air by satellite from the European providers.
 

smac

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
Haven't heard of the receiver you mention, so can't offer any information on it. Whilst it is true that many of the National channels are encrypted for the digital platform, there are still many free to air channels.

There are rumours of the French analogue channels disappearing, but I can see them being around for quite some time yet, as with the German and Austrian channels.

If you buy a combined Digital and Analogue receiver as I suggest, you will not be caught out if the analogue channels stop transmitting.

I would also point you again to This page on Lyngsat , click on each language in turn and you will see everything that is offered free to air by satellite from the European providers.

Had a look at www.lyngsat.com/freetv - thanks. All the programmes I want are there (and many more), including the French, which people warned me would be needing a card. Probably it is because the ones listed in the site also include channels available in analogue form? If this is the case, then you are right, and I should by a analogue/digital receiver. I imagine though that it would be more expensive. Could you suggest one which is reliable but affordable? Thanks.
Also, any book/magazine for beginners that I could buy tb build up some basic knowledge on satellite tv?
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Joined
May 1, 1999
Messages
38,022
Reaction score
1,427
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A very good combination receiver is the Technomate 5000DACI, quite a few people sell it and it is very good value for money at around £200. See HERE or HERE.

There are a few books around, but to be quite honest, spend a few days browsing this forum and you will pick up most of what you need, what you can't find, someone will answer for you.
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Joined
May 1, 1999
Messages
38,022
Reaction score
1,427
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just seen the DACI for £150 at Astratech, that really is a good deal.
 
Top