format

richard.willacy

Reaction score
got two HHD one with xp and the other 98se now how do i put new format
of windows 98se onto the one HHD thats already got it on,the windows 98se vertion on the hhs is not to good it needs new one put on i know that you have to use fdisker but what do i need to do step by step:D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well from memory
First you need to be sure that you do not mind losing the information on the hard disk, once it is fdisked it is gone (well to the layman it is essentially)
I suggest that
First you need to make a bootable floppy disk and on that floppy you need to copy over fdisk.exe and format.exe. You will also need CD rom driver support on the floppy. Before doing anything make sure the pc will boot to the floppy by actually making it do that and it should boot to a Dos prompt and ensure that the cd rom is recognised and the driver is installed and you are able to type D: then enter and obtain a D:> prompt
When you are happy that it will boot to a floppy do so and type fdisk
Next you need to delete the existing partition(s)
Then you need to create a new extended Dos partition and make it active
Then reboot again using the floppy. When at a Dos prompt type format c:/s then press enter. When formatting is complete insert the 98 CD rom and type d: then enter. then type setup and enter and with luck the installation should take place but don't forget you will need your key.
Have I forgotten anything there as my grey matter isn't functioning well today. if memory serves me I think it may have been possible to boot from the CD Rom but I forgets, they all blend into one after a while

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Have you formatted it yet Richard???