Fortec Star hd passion+ stb.

Mike M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star 65cm dish,HD Passion+ STB.
HP Notebook G60
My Location
Dorset England
My passion+ stb is just over 2 years old.When I switch it on it shows "passion+" on the VFD display for a few seconds then "power off" followed by the time 00:00. Fortec Star tell me that I need a rs232 tool to update the software but although I asked them for a copy two weeks ago they hav'nt replied.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi, welcome to the Forum Mike M.

This is the Download Manager you require -

Attachments

• RS232 Download Manager.zip
    935.2 KB · Views: 218
  • RS232 Download Manager procedure.zip
    189.8 KB · Views: 180

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
makes you wonder why we create a Sticky entitled :-
Fortec Star RS232 Download Manager & V1.50 Loader for Passion/Passion+/Innovation
but I would put money on it being the PSU anyway. Lets hope the OP will do a search on that topic before asking the obvious question that is sure to follow.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
OP's post was in a different section originally, moved it and forgot I'd stuck that one some time before.

Mike M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HP Notebook G60
My Location
Dorset England
Thanks for your help Llew.My stb is up & running again after updating the Loader V1.5 & firmware.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Good news Mike. Credit goes to Briangw for providing the downloader. No brownie points to Fortecstar for it being unavailable on their site.

Holland Park

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
apple Mac and sky dish
My Location
Hampshire
Hi - I seem to have a similar problem "Mike M" - although in my case, the VFD Display has completely gone. There is power to the receiver. Can anyone offer any help / advice.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England

Holland Park

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
apple Mac and sky dish
My Location
Hampshire
not sure? The receiver is started to switch itself off, when we changed channels. It restarted itself originally but very quickly has turned dormant with no display.
Is there a way I can test if it asleep - I cannot see this in the manual??/
Thanks

Mike M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HP Notebook G60
My Location
Dorset England
Hi,
I'll describe how I updated my firmware -I hope it cures your problem.

You will need an rs232 female to female null modem cable.If your computer does not have an rs232 port you will also need a usb to rs232 converter.Both are available from Maplin or maybe Amazon.Install the usb to rs232 converter on your computer.

Goto _http://www.fortecstar.com click on downloads and select the model of your stb.Download the latest update for your stb together with loader v1.5.
Download a copy of the Fortec Star rs232 tool (FS download manager) and FS download manager procedure ( both available on this site)
When all files are unzipped they will have .dnl extensions.

Connect the stb to your computer using the null modem cable and usb/rs232 adapter if necessary.Switch off the stb.
Run the Download Manager and select port number,baud rate (say 9600) and Loader V1.5. (See Download Manager Procedure).
Click on 'dowwnload' and switch on the stb.

When the loader update is complete run the Download Manager again to update the firmware you downloaded from _http://www.fortecstar.com

I hope this works for you. Good luck.

Mike M

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
tjl said:

Holland Park said:
not sure? The receiver is started to switch itself off, when we changed channels. It restarted itself originally but very quickly has turned dormant with no display.
Is there a way I can test if it asleep - I cannot see this in the manual??/
Thanks

Mike M said:
Hi,
I'll describe how I updated my firmware -I hope it cures your problem.
You will need an rs232 female to female null modem cable.If your computer does not have an rs232 port you will also need a usb to rs232 converter.Both are available from Maplin or maybe Amazon.Install the usb to rs232 converter on your computer.
Goto _http://www.fortecstar.com click on downloads and select the model of your stb.Download the latest update for your stb together with loader v1.5.
Download a copy of the Fortec Star rs232 tool (FS download manager) and FS download manager procedure ( both available on this site)
When all files are unzipped they will have .dnl extensions.
Connect the stb to your computer using the null modem cable and usb/rs232 adapter if necessary.Switch off the stb.
Run the Download Manager and select port number,baud rate (say 9600) and Loader V1.5. (See Download Manager Procedure).
Click on 'dowwnload' and switch on the stb.
When the loader update is complete run the Download Manager again to update the firmware you downloaded from _http://www.fortecstar.com

This is 99.99% certain to be a failed C201 capacitor on the PSU circuit board as in TJL's suggested post (you will see it with the top slightly bulged between 2 heatsinks, if your look through the vents on the top left of the stb).
If you dont know how to swap a capacitor yourself, find an electronics repair shop and it will probably cost you £10-15 (mostly for labour). I have already swapped about 4 of these myself for customers experiencing similar problems, with excellent results.