Fortec Star monoblock

See_mos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had on old two LNB setup for Hot Bird and Astra on a 1M dish with a manual LNB switch.

I have just purchased a Fortec Start FSMB - 1 monoblock and Lifetime Diamond receiver.

I thought it would be a simple matter of removing the switch, fitting the new LNB on my 1M dish and setting up the receiver and checking the dish alignment but I cannnot get reception from both satellites. I tried the LNB on both sides and realigned the dish but can only get a signal from Hot Bird. Well actually the signal strength shows 98% but zero quality on Astra.

I have probably missed something simple but the manual with the receiver is not very good and there is nothing at all with the LNB so any help would be appreciated.

regards
See_mos

war head

Reaction score
im no expert, nor am i familiar with your receiver but my guess is you have not set up the Disecq switching in its menu

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like you need to set the Astra satellite to output "B".

See_mos

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Over the years I have installed several systems but this on is the only one which has given me any problems.

This is the first time I have used a monoblock and they are a lot more critical in setting up the dish than when using seperate LNBs. The dish mounting is directly in line with the LNB arm and is vertical azimuth wise but slightly skewed clockwise when viewed from the front so that did not help. The LNB did not have an information sheet with it and there is no mention of using the monoblock with the Fortec (which is a recently released model) so I did not know which side of the LNB was working on which diseqc setting. The receiver offers A, B, 1, 2, 3, 4. and some others as well

The problem was also compunded because I wanted to move the dish so that the prime focus was on Astra instead of Eutelsat. I was using a Satmaster level meter which is about 6 years old and that didn't help much either as it reduced the quality quite a bit.

I finally solved the problem by using an old LNB and analogue box to set the dish up on Astra then fitting the new box and LNB and finding out which side of the LNB was working then swapping the Diseqc settings and making sure the other side of the LNB was working. Finally I moved the TV and box to where I could see them and using the signal meters on the box to tweak the dish.

Here I had another problem because the quality and possibly the the level is on a transponder by transponder basis and the the first transponder on one of the satellites gave 90% level and zero quality. Once I discovered this I picked a transponder on each satellite which showed around 50 percent quality and used those two to tweak the dish.

I found the 1M dish setting to be incredibly precise to the point where I had to tighten the clamps alternately so as not to pull the dish round by even the offset pull on the U bolts.

I was surprised by how much the quality level indicator moves about, even without touching anything it changes by as much as 20%. I checked all the connections and fitted new cable but that did not help.

Then we had a storm which stopped play and I lost all the signals for a short time. I am not convinced the system is working as it should so I will be having another go later and will report back.

regards to all
See_mos

war head

Reaction score
yes i have a monoblock system, no instructions with LNB either, and it took me a few frustrating hours to work it out. I resorted to covering over one of the feed horns to see which one was which!

See_mos

Reaction score
It's now about four weeks since the initial installation and I haven't had time to re-check the setup but the satellite side of things are working OK.

The digital terestrial is another matter altogether, the receiver is more tolerant of disturbances then the Panasonic digital box I was using but the picture geometry is all over the place no matter which setting I use. Noteably on BBC the picture often only occupies a box only half the screen size and slightly offset to one side. I put the Panasonic back on to compare pictures, even when the geometry looks reasonable there are big differences between analogue, the Fortec and the Panasonic. (All inputs via RF) I don't want to change to widescreen just yet, I'm waiting for the price of TFT screen sets to fall a bit more, at this stage I see no point in buying a (BULKY) wide screen tube set.

regards to all
Seemos

Allen1066

Reaction score
Seemos,
I'm thinking of buying the Fortec Diamond because it has both satellite and freeview receivers. I was a bit concerned by your last post about the terrestrial side of things. What is you current feeling regarding this receiver after a bit more time has passed ?

Thanks,

Allen

See_mos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I downloaded the latest (August) update for the receiver and it has made no difference to the picture size on terestrial transmisions.

I have emailed the UK supplier of the receiver several times but thay have not bothered to reply and the phoneline is permanently engaged and I have had no usefull feedback from Fortec either so I AM BEGINNING TO GET JUST A LITTLE BIT ANNOYED.

Seemos.